Sponsored

Ford Performance Tune for 2018+ GT

Mustang11020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT w/PP1
Going to get on the computer this weekend. I only see the factory tune in the procal, so I need to check about downloading the Ford tune into it again and flash the car.
Sponsored

Mustang11020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT w/PP1
I had time to reload the calibration and when I started the car up, it sounded totally different this time. No time to drive it yet, but revs were significantly smoother to.

I noticed my procal didn't have the performance tune on it until I downloaded it from FP on my computer. I think the mechanic might have taken a shortcut and uploaded the file from a shop computer to the ECM.

I will post my driving results once I get to drive the car around, but based on the startup, I think programming was the issue.

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
You are correct you have to download the tune from Ford

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I'm pretty sure you can't download the tune without the procal. Me thinks your mechanic took a shortcut indeed and never even installed the tune. That would explain the misfire codes. You were running lean.

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80
I'm pretty sure you can't download the tune without the procal. Me thinks your mechanic took a shortcut indeed and never even installed the tune. That would explain the misfire codes. You were running lean.
Agree, seems he was running on stock tune.
I had time to reload the calibration and when I started the car up, it sounded totally different this time. No time to drive it yet, but revs were significantly smoother to.

I noticed my procal didn't have the performance tune on it until I downloaded it from FP on my computer. I think the mechanic might have taken a shortcut and uploaded the file from a shop computer to the ECM.

I will post my driving results once I get to drive the car around, but based on the startup, I think programming was the issue.
Was is installed by a dealer? I would claim for a refund.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Agree, seems he was running on stock tune.

Was is installed by a dealer? I would claim for a refund.
Yeah. I would be pissed to pay for a half-ass job. I want the full ass.

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
If the tune isn't stored in the procal something wasn't done right. It does sound like the tune wasn't uploaded to the car as mentioned. I downloaded the tune to the Procal myself before taking it to the dealer for install.

Mustang11020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT w/PP1
The install was done by a Ford Dealer (for the warranty), but I will be talking to someone there about the install. As I mentioned, the flexible air seal was installed crimped too.

The more I think about it, I am sure some sort of tune was put on (maybe the '15-'17 level 2 tune) and due to the crimped seal, they adjusted the tune to fix the air flow problem -instead of looking at the air flow route being clear. Again just a theory.

If it wasn't only 6 months since I bought my GT, I would have done it myself.

*Need For Green* had good idea to download the program to the Procal first. Would recommend that to anyone going for a dealer install.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
The install was done by a Ford Dealer (for the warranty), but I will be talking to someone there about the install. As I mentioned, the flexible air seal was installed crimped too.

The more I think about it, I am sure some sort of tune was put on (maybe the '15-'17 level 2 tune) and due to the crimped seal, they adjusted the tune to fix the air flow problem -instead of looking at the air flow route being clear. Again just a theory.

If it wasn't only 6 months since I bought my GT, I would have done it myself.

*Need For Green* had good idea to download the program to the Procal first. Would recommend that to anyone going for a dealer install.
They didn't adjust the tune because the can't. It's locked. No one can adjust the FP tune. It's also tied to your vin number so they can't just hook up any procal and install a different tune (ie the 15-17 tune).

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Well, the open side should seal against the hood getting it close to oem temps, especially at night. I think I need to recheck those seals.

Its not the seals, the issue is the box that the Ford Performance uses from the GT350 and such has a very thin plastic and doesn't insulate the heat the way the OEM box does with its very thick plastic. The back of that CAI is right next to the driver side exhaust manifold and that is where the majority of the heat is coming from. My box seals very tight against the hood and you can see the outline of the CAI on the hood blanket. However, after a good driver I reached back behind the CAI next to the header and I can barely keep my hand there. I think some nice heat reflective tape may help in this.

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80
Its not the seals, the issue is the box that the Ford Performance uses from the GT350 and such has a very thin plastic and doesn't insulate the heat the way the OEM box does with its very thick plastic. The back of that CAI is right next to the driver side exhaust manifold and that is where the majority of the heat is coming from. My box seals very tight against the hood and you can see the outline of the CAI on the hood blanket. However, after a good driver I reached back behind the CAI next to the header and I can barely keep my hand there. I think some nice heat reflective tape may help in this.
I checked all seals and they were good. I think you're right: its just heat radiating from the engine bay. I also noticed the CAI box has fins on the closest side to headers but apparently it could probably use some more insulation.

IMG-20210626-WA0004.jpeg

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Anyone know if there has been any tune updates since the calibration came out? FP says they don't usually update unless theres issues. I plugged my procal 4 into my pc for the heck of it. It said looking for tunes then sending files then writing to disk. My tune shows as kr3a-fpmga3-bgf.bin

I don't think anything changed because that's all it did.

Dans18GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Early on monitoring and logging with the procal was pretty bad.
I think the updates were to fix that.

Wouldn't a tune revision need to be carb certified again?

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Quick question, what pc or laptop platforms are compatible with the pro cal download.
Mac and PC ???
Sponsored