OP
OP
stang17

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
If you wanted to push it you shouldve used something like ms103 or 109. If there's no E85 near you then use that or get E85 by barrel.
I had asked to give me tune that would be safe for 96 octane in addition to my 93 tune.

I was under the assumption if I got a bad tank of gas the safety features/ ie knock sensors would save me before any major damage would occur.

Without seeing the tune file, I was unaware of what changes PBD made. I mean they and Lund are arguably two of the most respected tuners for coyotes.

I'm not a tuner by any means and thus why I went with a well known company. I put my faith in them thinking they wouldn't give me a tune they didn't feel was safe.

The first 3 years I had the car I was running octane booster at every fill up on the whipple tune with the guardian features without issue. Never had an issue with any significant knock and would see timing 20+.

Heck, I had contacted whipple when my first motor failed from the snapped crankshaft and had asked them if they could revise my stock whipple tune for use with the 95 lb injectors, but was advised they couldn't (EO/CARB purposes) and even recommended PBD to me.

When PBD tells me I'm safe to run a tune at a given octane, who am I to question it. I mean they are coming from a standpoint of tuning experience with 100s or thousands of cars.

But hey, lesson learned.
Sponsored

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Your never ending bashing of tuners is pretty sickening.

You dont think one ounce of the OPs responsibility is the insane choice to run pump gas on a 800+ hp setup?

Run along your constant crying about tuners is old.
Only caveat is the tuner knew what the customer was planning. They knew the entire time. It’s hard to take up for PBD in this case because they knew he wanted a pump gas build with octane booster, they should have built a tune safe to run on 93 so the boostane was a safety net rather than a requirement or just refused from the start because of unrealistic expectations.

Also the fact that he had knock issues early on that they *think* was false knock which just went away after a revision, screams that something was messed with on the knock sensor side of things.

I place the blame on both parties, OP should have thought better than to try and push and rely on a octane booster, and pbd should have reinforced that rather than proceed on with it.

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
Hey guys, been awhile since I posted anything. Just wanted to let you know that I found the limits of an 11:1 aluminator.

My stock motor failed at 12,800 miles from a snapped crankshaft snout. It was supercharged from day 1 with a whipple gen 2 stage 2.

I ended up going with an 11:1 aluminator and adding a MFP crank support. I decided to go "all in" for a max effort pump gas build and purchased DW 95 lb injectors, BAP, calimer stage 3 MT-82, RXT 1200 HD clutch, and PBD tune while the new motor was getting installed.

Everything was put together August 2019 and proceeded to put a few hundred miles on the car before making the power pulls and remote dyno tuning.

With a 3.5 pulley and 96 octane ( 93 plus a bottle of boostane shot) PBD was able to tune me to the likes of 819 whp and 608 ft lbs.

Car drove great and was able to get me into the 9s and 138 mph at 4120 lb race weight.

6,000 miles later I put the car back on the same dyno and only make 764 whp and 556 ft lbs.

I proceeded to pull the plugs and do a compression and leak down test.

Compression / leak down was as follows

Cylinder 5 - 200 leak down test 82/100 psi
Cylinder 6 - 230 leak down test 88/100 psi
Cylinder 7 - 195 leak down test 80/100 psi
Cylinder 8 - 205 leak down test 70/100 psi
Cylinder 1 - 227 leak down test 99/100 psi
Cylinder 2 - 225 leak down test 92/100 psi
Cylinder 3 - 200 leak down test 86/100 psi
Cylinder 4 - 200 leak down test 72/100 psi

I proceed to pull the motor and have it shipped to Ford Performance in hopes of being covered under the 24 month, 24,000 mile warranty.

Attached is the copy of the inspection report.

I was told by PBD that I would be able to run as low as a 3.325 pulley with my 21.5 timing tune on 96 octane fuel.

I never went smaller than the 3.5 pulley because I didn't want the hassle of having to change to a different size belt.

Every dyno pull and 1/4 mile pass over the past year has been data logged and all logs consistently show 0 knock. No -/+ , just 0.

My original PBD tunes were showing knock even at 16 degrees and partial throttle. PBD was convinced the knock was false, made some type of revision (don't know what because tune is locked) and all knock went away.

I trust PBD and them giving me 21+ timing for use with 96 octane as I don't believe they would give me anything they didn't consider safe.

My question is why wouldn't any of my logs show knock when apparently there was a considerable amount of detonation going on ( see attached picture)?

Also, has anyone else had head gasket failures at 800 + hp?

I'm not throwing any shade at PBD, but just wanted to share my experience. PBD has been great to me over the past 2 years and I have no complaints with their customer service or response times.

Currently, the motor is at Holbrook Racing Engines who is working on getting me a quote for repair.

Screenshot_20210608-130344_Hancom Office Editor.jpg
Thanks for sharing your story

Sponsored

OP
OP
stang17

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
Only caveat is the tuner knew what the customer was planning. They knew the entire time. It’s hard to take up for PBD in this case because they knew he wanted a pump gas build with octane booster, they should have built a tune safe to run on 93 so the boostane was a safety net rather than a requirement or just refused from the start because of unrealistic expectations.

Also the fact that he had knock issues early on that they *think* was false knock which just went away after a revision, screams that something was messed with on the knock sensor side of things.

I place the blame on both parties, OP should have thought better than to try and push and rely on a octane booster, and pbd should have reinforced that rather than proceed on with it.
100% agree with you. HP is an addictive drug.

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird

Guess youve never had a bad tank of pump gas in your life huh?

Let alone using additive to try get to "96" octane.

Its insane and OP is paying the price.

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Guess youve never had a bad tank of pump gas in your life huh?

Let alone using additive to try get to "96" octane.

Its insane and OP is paying the price.

I have. I understand reading comprehension is a difficult task for you, but to summarize trying this on pump gas is not smart. Relying on octane booster is even less smart.

Isn't that pretty much what you were saying?

How do you explain pbd effectively disabling the knock sensors as being the OP's fault?

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Sorry about your luck OP. But as someone that has owned several high HP cars. We have to go into this with our eyes wide open to the reality that things break at increased power levels. Even things that we think are well built.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
How do you explain pbd effectively disabling the knock sensors as being the OP's fault?
I can’t imagine any tuner would shut off the knock sensors without the owners permission.

Sponsored

Mghoward74

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
S550
All I can say is damn…
Hope everything ends up working for you. I’m curious as to why play “Russian Roulette” with a concoctions such as boostane & pump gas. It’s probable that you could have mixed it wrong, but I hope not.

Do you still have your original motor? This could’ve been backup/spare

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I can’t imagine any tuner would shut off the knock sensors without the owners permission.
You wouldn't think so. But his screen shot above shows Rob's thoughts on the false knock. Then it had no knock. Unless there's more to the story, and there usually is, they were at minimum turned down far enough to not see 'false' knock which probably wasn't false

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name