Sponsored

How many winter drivers

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I’ve DD a mustang years ago, did it with 7 years with. 3-4x washes weekly throughout the winters. It took its toll regardless. Maybe other parts of the US don’t have as harsh as road salt compound as Minnesota / Illinois has but I shutter at the fact of seeing pony cars, sport cars, and upper luxury cars on the round in the dead of winter.
When you consider that a base GT costs ~1/2 of a nice F-150 pickup, it's a lot cheaper to drive a Mustang through the winter than to buy a pickup for that job.

I get the argument of not "wrecking" the car if it's more expensive than your alternative transportation, but if they are similar in cost or the Mustang is cheaper, it doesn't make sense to me.
Sponsored

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
Got mine Krown rust proofed today. Had the dealer do rust proofing when I bought the car but who knows how good that stuff is.

Had Krown drill the holes in the doors so they could pump that stuff in. I had 2 Subaru Tribeca AWD SUVs with all seasons and the Mustang with Yoko IceGuards is much better in the snow than the Subies with all-seasons

Hoping to get my own house when I'm officially single again. Will get a beater at that point and let the Mustang sleep during the winter months

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Looks like my winter beater may have taken a turn for the worst, thanks to someone else... how well does rust proofing work? I want to keep this car for a while. I could probably buy another beater for the same price as a set of snow tires and rims, but now I'm thinking about how fun the Mustang would be. I also am not completely opposed to being able to use the car kept in the garage, and not the car that's iced over every morning.

Sponsored

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
When you consider that a base GT costs ~1/2 of a nice F-150 pickup, it's a lot cheaper to drive a Mustang through the winter than to buy a pickup for that job.

I get the argument of not "wrecking" the car if it's more expensive than your alternative transportation, but if they are similar in cost or the Mustang is cheaper, it doesn't make sense to me.
@Hack, Not really sure why you’re replying that to my post? I didn’t really say anything of what you’re speaking to :) I just spoke of salt. To which I say it’ll get you regardless if you have a car or truck.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
@Hack, Not really sure why you’re replying that to my post? I didn’t really say anything of what you’re speaking to :) I just spoke of salt. To which I say it’ll get you regardless if you have a car or truck.
You didn't say what your alternate transportation was, which is why I phrased it the way I did. Some people buy fairly expensive second vehicles to "save" their Mustangs. That's all I was commenting on. Not necessarily what you do at all.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
You didn't say what your alternate transportation was, which is why I phrased it the way I did. Some people buy fairly expensive second vehicles to "save" their Mustangs. That's all I was commenting on. Not necessarily what you do at all.
Again not sure why with what I said I’d have to say what my alternative vehicle is? It doesn’t matter, my point was that if you’ve got a 30k plus sports car or any expensive car, it really beats up the body @Hack :). Nothing wrong with having a winter beater. I use an SUV. Cheers.

RedEcoJet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jerryallgire.com
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Ecoboost - Pre-Production #280 Product Planning & Styling Vehicle
Vehicle Showcase
Mounted mine too. The 18s do well in the snow.
IMG_20191026_121708320.jpg

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I ride my car all through Chicago winters with a set of blizzaks. I've got not quit in me. Or any sense for that matter.
How is the body holding up with all the salt and brine tossed on the roads? I only visit Chicago recreationally, so maybe it's not as bad, but that stuff is used without prejudice in the suburbs.

I'm torn between fixing my winter beater or buying a set of snow tires/rims for the mustang. Both will run me about the same price.

YoloBathsalts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT - PP1
How is the body holding up with all the salt and brine tossed on the roads? I only visit Chicago recreationally, so maybe it's not as bad, but that stuff is used without prejudice in the suburbs.

I'm torn between fixing my winter beater or buying a set of snow tires/rims for the mustang. Both will run me about the same price.
Honestly I'd recommend fixing up the winter beater. The salt isnt getting me too bad yet but it feels wrong to drive her in the harsh winter. I'm only doing it because i don't have a winter beater yet. She handles great in the winter on set of Blizzaks but If I could afford the old Tacoma I am looking at I wouldn't be driving her through the snow. Although it can be fun.

martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost; coupe; guard; dark-saddle; MT; PP; Nav;
I plan to order a Bullitt soon. I do not want it to arrive before the winter over. My 2015 eco-boost took 4 months to come.
Can I expect the same time delay?

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
All year long on the same all season Pirellis. 18's. The all seasons give mediocre traction year round. 18" rim means I don't bend one so easily.

I thought the salt issue was when you brought the car into a heated garage after driving it around and the melting snow plus road salt turns into a salt water, rust-promoting electrolyte. So you keep it outside below freezing if you drove on salt. Maybe that's not even true. I'm sure somebody did this test but I'm too lazy to look.

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
Yes rust is caused when melting happens. As long as it stays frozen it won't cause rust. Heated garages are bad.
Sponsored