Sponsored

Mustang winter drivers

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
I recently moved to WI for a job and got a company vehicle. My car is paid off and I dropped collision insurance. It only costs me about $100 dollars for fire and theft until spring.

As much as I’d like to drive my car I don’t need to and want to avoid driving in the snowy/slushy salt mix.I see people all the time driving too fast for conditions and wiping out. I’m not chancing my car around these drivers. It’s just not with it to me.

My car is nice and clean in the garage and I’m doing more Steeda suspension mods. I can take my time working on it and leave things disassembled if needed until I can get back to it.

I don’t care about resale value because this will probably be my last performance car. I got it with all the must haves I wanted and to be honest there’s nothing else I really want. I don’t want to sell or trade this car to start over. I plan to keep this car until I can’t drive any longer.
Sponsored

shadowx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt premium 2019
Assuming you have the OEM 20” wheels with a 9” rim, the 285/35 R20 A/S 3+ is off the table - it needs a 9.5” minimum rim. My understanding is the OEM 20” setup was a square 265/35, so I’d go with @rs3kev and put on a square setup of 275/35. This increases the tread width to 10.0” - a nice improvement over the 8.7” tread width on the OEM P Zeros. The section width is 10.9” - only 0.2” more than the OEM PZeros so it should fit. Also the 275/35 A/S 3+ Has the same XL load range and a slightly higher service description of 102Y so it is plenty capable. If you don’t want a square setup, the 255/35 is a decent front choice - 9.3” tread width with an XL load rating- but the 97Y service description is a bit less capable than the stock tire rating of 99Y.
Oh im sorry that I didnt explain well. I have 255/40-19 square with 8.5 wheels OEM( black accent package) and trying to get 20-10 and 20-11 Rohana wheels or whatever sizes for the best tires sizes. like 275/35-20 front with 102y and 285/35-20 rear with i think 100W. should the speed rating be the same in the front and the rear?
or better just square it with 275/35-20 or 255 front and 275 rear?

MTdiehard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2018 Mini Cooper S 4D Hardtop, And a midsize SUV
Oh im sorry that I didnt explain well. I have 255/40-19 square with 8.5 wheels OEM( black accent package) and trying to get 20-10 and 20-11 Rohana wheels or whatever sizes for the best tires sizes. like 275/35-20 front with 102y and 285/35-20 rear with i think 100W. should the speed rating be the same in the front and the rear?
or better just square it with 275/35-20 or 255 front and 275 rear?
I’m out of my depth on those questions- probably there are some good threads out there that address good alternative wheels that folks have fitted successfully. I agree it’s smart to check your tire choices before buying new wheels. The shop said the 285/35 tires looked a little stretched on my 11” rear rims - so you might want to consider a different tire width if you go with 11” rear rims. Last thing I’d mention is that if it were my daily driver, I’d try to stay with 19” wheels to have a more compliant ride and Ford sticks with 19s for higher performance variations - but the 20s do look cool

bknight21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brayden
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT Premium a10
Vehicle Showcase
Daily driven. With the right tires it can actually be kind of fun to drive in the winter.

71362280-3554-4E56-AF55-7162BA621570.jpeg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The “Snow” Driving Mode actually works really well.

I’ve owned a variety of Mustangs over the years from the 60’s, 80’s and 90’s - including my 94 Cobra. All were driven 24/7/365 in all seasons. NONE of those had any “nannies” or tech that these S550’s have (with the exception of ABS on my Cobra, which truly isn’t a nanny).

When I first bought my prior 2016 S550 and used the Snow Drive Mode for the first time - it was a really interesting experience. I thought it was just a gimmick, but once activated I was surprised at how it worked. That mode should have been on many Mustangs before 2015... LOL.

I have used Snow Mode with my 2018 and the PZeros and have never had an issue - but it all goes without saying, there’s no “nanny” that can’t be overcome if not using common sense... even with proper “snow” tires, you can still end up with your ass end in front of your face if not using common sense....

Other winter tips tricks for a rear wheel drive Mustang::

Full tank of gas

2-3 50/75lb bags of kitty litter or rock salt in trunk. Both will also help with traction if you got stuck. If not used, both can be stored for next winter OR donated.

Small shovel in trunk (good for if stuck)

Gloves and hat in trunk (yea, you wouldn’t believe how many people forget them and it’s only that 1 time you wished you had them)

Ice scraper (the extendable type with the added squeegee and brush works great) sure may not need it all the time, but always good to have for those surprise storms.

Battery jump box - the new handheld units WORK. I have one in each of my vehicles. Keep it charged and if you ever need it, it WILL start your vehicle so you can get to a shop for either a new battery or diagnosis. Many also have outlets to charge any mobile device if there is no power from the vehicle for a charge.

If not familiar with a winter climate, always add the “winter” washer fluid to your vehicle if traveling distance... some of that blue generic shit that says it works at 30* or below DOESN'T. Use the Prestone or Rain-X specific winter mix that won’t freeze up in your washer bottle or lines.

Tire chains - not needed in my area, but I’ve read and seen on here where some people in different parts of the US and overseas do need to use them.

Emergency Road Side kit - there’s too many available to reference, but be sure to have one that contains a variety of bandages, wraps, flares, reflective triangle or a device that blinks/strobes/flashes (if car does not have power to use hazards), etc. Always good to have these kits for “when” not “if”...

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
These cars do drive well in the snow, despite being fun wheel drive. Traction control and common sense will keep you safe. I parked mine because the highways and roads here become a mine field of rocks and bullshit that annihilates windshields and paint. So beater it is. I still drive it around town when it's dry and above freezing though, because why not.

JF

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JF
Vehicle(s)
MUSTANG GT 2020 Magnetic 301A
Do you change the wheels when you put the winter tires ?

Crayon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Ecoboost "Maggie"
Year round, Colorado driven.
1608494462239.png