Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vancouver Canada here.
I drive on Nokian Happalitta snowies. 245/50/18 Best tire I could find for our weather. I used my old stock wheels.Left the 20 MM spacers on.
20190211_203721.jpg
20190211_203827.jpg
20190211_202413.jpg
20190211_202555.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

rsTOMod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I find it odd that there are so many folks that forget that not even 20yrs ago the world wasn't comprised of everyone driving AWD SUVs and 4WD trucks and now claim that as necessity.

Plenty of us that grew up driving rear wheel drive giant land yachts (77 Oldsmobile Cutless myself) that sometimes didn't even have a POSI rear end, so you effectively had 1 rear wheel drive. You developed the critical thinking skills to plan your travels ... you realize when you look out the window and see it snowing/icing that you should probably leave earlier, drive slower, take the heavily traveled roads. And guess what, you got to where you were going! Generations of people did it before traction control systems, and they become better drivers as a result. Counter steering a drift/burnout was learned in a snowy parking lot. With the right mindset you learn how to drive in in-climate weather as a skill, same as driving a manual transmission ... and you do so without the distractions of a cell phone and Starbucks Frap-a-crapa-whatever in your hand.

I don't see any reason why a modern rear wheel drive car with traction control and appropriate tires can't be successfully used as a mode of transportation in the winter ... and maybe those who choose to do so can smile along the way when the back end does a little fish tail action, while both of their hands and both feet work together to vary torque to the wheels and counter steer like a boss :)

We buy "things" and we seek "experiences" ... if someone wants to experience some adventure of their journey whether it be once a year in new fallen snow or part of their daily commute, then more power to you all!

Life's a journey, enjoy the ride!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I find it odd that there are so many folks that forget that not even 20yrs ago the world wasn't comprised of everyone driving AWD SUVs and 4WD trucks and now claim that as necessity.

Plenty of us that grew up driving rear wheel drive giant land yachts (77 Oldsmobile Cutless myself) that sometimes didn't even have a POSI rear end, so you effectively had 1 rear wheel drive. You developed the critical thinking skills to plan your travels ... you realize when you look out the window and see it snowing/icing that you should probably leave earlier, drive slower, take the heavily traveled roads. And guess what, you got to where you were going! Generations of people did it before traction control systems, and they become better drivers as a result. Counter steering a drift/burnout was learned in a snowy parking lot. With the right mindset you learn how to drive in in-climate weather as a skill, same as driving a manual transmission ... and you do so without the distractions of a cell phone and Starbucks Frap-a-crapa-whatever in your hand.

I don't see any reason why a modern rear wheel drive car with traction control and appropriate tires can't be successfully used as a mode of transportation in the winter ... and maybe those who choose to do so can smile along the way when the back end does a little fish tail action, while both of their hands and both feet work together to vary torque to the wheels and counter steer like a boss :)

We buy "things" and we seek "experiences" ... if someone wants to experience some adventure of their journey whether it be once a year in new fallen snow or part of their daily commute, then more power to you all!

Life's a journey, enjoy the ride!
Good post. My first car was actually a 1976 Cutlass, so I know where you are coming from.

Really all season tires are good enough to "get through" winter. However, I want my car to perform decently even in poor conditions, so to me it's worth it to buy a good set of winter tires.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Good post. My first car was actually a 1976 Cutlass, so I know where you are coming from.

Really all season tires are good enough to "get through" winter. However, I want my car to perform decently even in poor conditions, so to me it's worth it to buy a good set of winter tires.
You guys with your small old cars.

I had you all beat. My first car was a hand me down 1973 Oldsmobile 98 with a Rocket 455 under the hood. 225/75R15 wheels and it used to rock to the side to about 45 degrees each time you stepped on the gas. 21 gallon tank (and got about 3 gallons/ mile) and it had 2 bench seats that easily fit 8 people.

It was 230.3 inches long which is over 19 feet long!!! There was never anything longer that I know of. When I went to college, I never bothered to remember where I parked. I would just walk up the end row to see my trunk sticking over 3 ft past every car parked!!

73-Olds 98.jpg

With bald tires, this taught me how to drive in the snow. The only traction control was between your ears. once in a while it would leak a little fluid... between your legs but it worked!!!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

I had you all beat. My first car was a hand me down 1973 Oldsmobile 98 with a Rocket 455 under the hood. 225/75R15 wheels and it used to rock to the side to about 45 degrees each time you stepped on the gas. 21 gallon tank (and got about 3 gallons/ mile) and it had 2 bench seats that easily fit 8 people.

It was 230.3 inches long which is over 19 feet long!!! There was never anything longer that I know of. When I went to college, I never bothered to remember where I parked. I would just walk up the end row to see my trunk sticking over 3 ft past every car parked!!

73-Olds 98.jpg

With bald tires, this taught me how to drive in the snow. The only traction control was between your ears. once in a while it would leak a little fluid... between your legs but it worked!!!
Agreed. The 1976 Cutlass was pretty similar in size to the current generation of Mustang IIRC. But that 350 GM motor was so bad. I always called it the Gutless Cutlass.

Sponsored

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
My GT is a DD and this will be my third winter driving it. I use AS tires (Conti DWS-06) and have no problem in cold temps and snow/slush. Big improvement over the stock Pirelli AS that came on the car, unless you like cleaning your pants out often.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6

73-Olds 98.jpg

You could fit an entire stable of dead hookers in the trunk of that thing......and the excavator for the mass grave...

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I have driven rear wheel drive cars in the winter for many years. Even drove a Vette and a Viper in the winter. The Viper was a real treat... side curtains, not roll up windows! But, I would prefer not driving my GT in the winter, to avoid the salt damage. I'll drive my BMW instead.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i

73-Olds 98.jpg

My Dad had a 1960 Lincoln Continental that was like that. The seats were the size of a bed. It was great for taking a date to the drive-in movies. For me, I mean, not my Dad.

The fluid leak between your legs might have come from an internal source as the result of driving that beast on bald tires.

Last edited:

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

Let's be realistic here. the real point of this thread is to discuss driving in places where it snows. Just because the calendar indicates it is winter wasn't what the OP was thinking about. The OP wants to know if you take the car out in sub freezing temps and how you deal with a Mustang under those conditions.

Let's look at the first post and remind ourselves what the thread is about

I think those who live in the "snow-free" belt have given their jokes and indicate they drive in those months but do not see snow. Congrats for all of you to live where it doesn't snow.

I think we should focus on the snow belt areas. It might be interesting to open another thread on driving in a snow free zones of the world and the things you need to do to protect the car there. I am sure the guys who live say along So. Cal beaches or Arizona desert might discuss dealing with wind driven sand or high heat. I am sure red cars take a beating in the sun belt and could fade. What do you us to protect them?. Things like that.

There are many new Mustang owners who would like to hear what you do in the snow belt and if you do drive it in snow and sleet, how do you prepare the car.

thanks

Sponsored

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
Just got my GT and want to drive it as much as possible as long as there is no snow on the ground.
Just ordered another set of wheels and will be putting Pilot A/S 3's on them.

McGruder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue '19 GT w/ 10 spd
Me! I run AS 3+ year round for better traction in cold temps. I have an old Xterra for snow, wet roads.

Fjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT fastback
I'll be driving mine through Michigan's winters. Trying to decide when to swap to my winter wheels/Blizzaks.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
I drive in winter and run Conti DWS year round hear in Iowa. Now I do have a beater Ford Ranger so if there is snow/ice/salt/slush (you get the picture) I take that. But we get plenty of nice suny days even in the winter and then she comes out for a spin. I also WFH full time so if I don't HAVE to leave the house in the winer I don't

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I just put my snow tires back on. Sad sigh, fun season is over.
Sponsored