Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
LOOOOL!!!!

No. Really, these cars aren't low stock.
You are kidding right? I guess you see even less snow than what I see here in NC.
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
You are kidding right? I guess you see even less snow than what I see here in NC.
I'm from Michigan, S.W. & S.E. areas. I drove my 05 GT through a few S.W. MI. winters.

It's fine as long as you have the correct tires.

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
Right here. Car is rustproofed and has a set of Blizzak tires on the factory 18's.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I'm from Michigan, S.W. & S.E. areas. I drove my 05 GT through a few S.W. MI. winters.

It's fine as long as you have the correct tires.
In Michigan, don't y'all get several feet of snow at once? You are saying the Mustang can drive through several feet without getting high centered? Or does the state plow your roads quick enough it isn't an issue?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
In Michigan, don't y'all get several feet of snow at once? You are saying the Mustang can drive through several feet without getting high centered? Or does the state plow your roads quick enough it isn't an issue?
Michigan plows roads with a quickness. But even 6, 8" isn't an issue.

Dunno about these new fangeld splitters though. 2005s didn't have one.

The rest of the clearance should be the same on the S550s as the S197s.

Reactions: Ebm

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Michigan plows roads with a quickness. But even 6, 8" isn't an issue.

Dunno about these new fangeld splitters though. 2005s didn't have one.

The rest of the clearance should be the same on the S550s as the S197s.
Splitter seems tough enough but we shall see. Of course our little bit of snow in the PNW is "cute" compared to some of you guys. If it breaks, you can get a new one that looks more like a bat mobile part....

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Looking at the 2005 S197.....

The engine was shit.
The transmission was missing a gear.
The suspension was shit.
The brakes were shit.

But the simpler interior styling was beautiful. It's a shame they don't offer a nice 2-tone anymore.
2005_00001_04.jpg

lokerola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Yep, this will be my first winter with the GT convertible. UPS just dropped off my set of winter wheels and Yokohama winter tires. In the DC Metro area.

EDIT - And I put about 5 cans of Fluid Film on the bottom of the frame. I used their little sprayer hose inside as many frame holes as I could find. Hopefully it will hold off the mean old rust for at least a few years.

Lightning Struck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona Blue PP2
I got stuck in a 1/4" of snow in my driveway last year... Moral of the story: Sport Cup 2's are crappy snow tires...

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT S/C PP2 - '15 GT PP - '18 GT
Richmond Va I drive mine year round. I work in IT and have the ability to work remote on days it snows though.

Sponsored

warthog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 5.0 Convertible
This winter will be the first with the Mustang but I did the last 3 winters in my Mazda MX5. Also rear wheel and with all season tires. Kentucky isn’t too bad. Plus I have the luxury to work from home in the severe stuff. I have 20 in All Seasons now so we will see.

warthog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 5.0 Convertible
I’m 60 and this is what we were taught in the old days. You either had a 4x4 or rear wheel drive. I had more issues in North Texas with black ice that anytime in Kentucky.

NJ here - every Mustang I’ve owned has been driven daily 24/7/365 through ALL seasons.

Even my 94 Cobra was driven in the winter and most can’t even tell that car was a daily, as it looks as new as my 2018.

Tips for S550 newbie winter drivers:
1) Tires - must have decent tires, even if they are “summer only”, if you’re driving on bald ass tires you’re screwed no matter what type of tire you have on the car. Winter tires help no doubt, but I’ve driven in winter without issues with performance tires that had a good amount of tread.

2) Weight - no I don’t mean pick up a fat girl and drive around for traction... You want a full tank of gas and get yourself (3) 50 or 75lb bags of kitty litter or rock salt. The weight over the rear wheels will be beneficial and if you get stuck, you can use the product to get some traction. If you still have the product at end of season, either keep and store or donate for a tax write off.

3) Common Sense - don’t be the moron WOTing it from a stop light on a snow/ice covered road OR think that you’re invincible and can still drive 65+ on the straights and take on/off ramps or curves at 50+ in bad weather. The #1 cause of Mustang demise is lack of common sense (well, not just in bad weather for some).

4) If owning a Manual trans car, at a dead stop start out in 2nd gear rather than 1st. It will help with initial traction and the gear ratio will be more forgiving when it comes to tire slippage. Feather the clutch and be light on the go pedal and the car will pull from a start on snow covered road without much issue.

5) Keep a small shovel in trunk in the event you do get stuck. It comes in handy for digging out rear wheels when you’re out and about by yourself.

6) Keep windshield washer full of proper product that will still be fluid when below 30*. Too many people just use regular washer fluid and then bitch when the bottle is frozen and the windshield can’t be cleaned.

7) Keep the defrosters on both the front and rear glass the entire time your driving - it will help keep the glass warm and from snow/ice accumulating.

8) Use the ”Snow” mode on the S550 - it does help. It’s still not idiot proof and still won’t mattwr if you have bald tires - BUT it’s an added driver aid that does help to control (reduce) the power of the car in snow/ice conditions.

9) Insurance Policy - make sure it’s up to date, current with payment schedule and you know the policy fine print as far as what it NOT covered.

10) DISTANCE and SPACE - Distance for the guy/gal in front of you and Space to your left and right in the event someone in those lanes starts sliding out of their lane (or they can’t stop). You want to do this because it’s not so much about if you can handle your own car - it’s about the others around you who that can’t handle theirs. If folks coming up behind you want to pass, LET THEM. Don’t risk your ride for the sake of trying to prove that you can get to your destination faster - because it just never ends well....

11) Common Sense - yep, can’t stress it enough....

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Just got the annual Krown application last week. Am planning on putting the winter rubber (Nokian R3) on the first weekend of November, as I'm out of town this weekend. But I grew up on big old RWD stuff. Someone who is half my age and is driving RWD for the first time might have some anal pucker moments if they're not careful. And I always look forward to the handful of nice days we seem to get in January/February when I can put the top down!

Deleted member 35786

Only white I see in the winter is this (sand):... we do have the salt air so there is that, mild at best.
white sand.jpg

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I did one year :explode:

I was using Blizzaks so It wasn't to bad and i washed the car all the time.

D2gBUOs.jpg

Now I have a 4x4 Truck for the bad snowy salty slushy days but I still drive my Mustang all year long. I'd be really depressed if she just sat in the garage all winter :rockon:
Sponsored

Last edited: