Let's talk about the C8 vs the GT500

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Because the world is full of ignoramus like that youtuber who has never read a book on engine design nor even a one-pager WIKI on the subject of principles of forced induction. Ford marketing is depending on the "oh my gahd, 850HP" to sway purchase decisions. It's no different than the "this car can do 2.98s 0-60 but this other one can only manage a 3.2" as a purchase criteria.
Well at least the 0-60 times are all after a real world test data. Ford did the same for the 10 speed GTPP and it is proven in real world that the car can do 0-60 under 4 seconds. I am ok with the real world test results even though the optimum test conditions are hard to meet.
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
It would be cool if Ford reacted the c8 unveil and said crank up the boost. Technically if they get 760 whp then they were still being truthful. I guess we will see when this thing gets dyno'd

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I just read an interview where a guy stated that the C8 Z51 outperforms the C7 Z06 in every measurable way. The guy who said this? The guy who led the development of both cars. :shock:. I’m REALLY starting to see a C8 3LT Z51 in my future.

He also confirmed that MT was designed out and that the car was for all intents and purposes shrink wrapped around the DCT.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Sounds like the C7 Z06 is trash if it is losing to a 64k car like that.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Sounds like the C7 Z06 is trash if it is losing to a 64k car like that.
If true the C8 is faster in every way, I'm almost certain its because they made the C8 better and NOT somehow retroactively made the C7 Z06 slower. So unless it was trash before, its not trash now.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I just read an interview where a guy stated that the C8 Z51 outperforms the C7 Z06 in every measurable way. The guy who said this? The guy who led the development of both cars. :shock:. I’m REALLY starting to see a C8 3LT Z51 in my future.

He also confirmed that MT was designed out and that the car was for all intents and purposes shrink wrapped around the DCT.
If true the C8 is faster in every way, I'm almost certain its because they made the C8 better and NOT somehow retroactively made the C7 Z06 slower. So unless it was trash before, its not trash now.
I went back and read some of the comments of people who were in attendance at the interview and they say that Ed later qualified his statements a bit by stating that the mid-engine design eliminates the traction issue that C7 Z06 has. Basically, for C7, traction limits the car’s ability to put ALL the power down until the car reaches 90 - 100 mph. With so much mass over the rear axle, C8 Z51 does not have that problem and just runs away from Z06. By the time Z06 hits 90 - 100, it has a lot of ground to make up to catch a C8 Z51. This leads me to believe Z51 will clip the quarter first but Z06 will trap faster.

This is pretty much what I was trying to explain when I was pointing out that the Porsche 911 Carrera S gives up 207 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque to the ZL1, but performance metrics for the two are very similar. It’s the amount of available power and torque that can be put down versus the total amount of power and torque. Putting weight over the traction wheels helps that immensely.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)

This is almost as when GM introduced the fifth gen Z28 Camaro and then the next generation regular camaro ss 1le matching and out performing it. The power and torque difference is really big for the corvette though. Its really interesting to see how a rear weight bias, mid engine setup with a DCT can affect the performance to this extend. That is a pretty ballsy claim. Did he mention the C7 ZO6 having the ZO7 package or not? Maybe a base model ZO6?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Its really interesting to see how a rear weight bias, mid engine setup with a DCT can affect the performance to this extend.
It's simple physics and not the least bit surprising. Hell, the C8 running all-season tires would probably still beat a Z06 on slicks. (kidding, doubtful, statement made for effect)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
It's simple physics and not the least bit surprising. Hell, the C8 running all-season tires would probably still beat a Z06 on slicks. (kidding, doubtful, statement made for effect)
I am also leaning towards that the lt2 engine is underrated and the loss from the drivetrain is minimal due to the mid engine setup. Other mid engine supercars do put nice numbers with lighter weight and awd but also lower torque values. The pushrod lt2 may have a low and midrange torque advantage which helps off the line and corner acceleration tremendously.

Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I am also leaning towards that the lt2 engine is underrated and the loss from the drivetrain is minimal due to the mid engine setup. Other mid engine supercars do put nice numbers with lighter weight and awd but also lower torque values. The pushrod lt2 may have a low and midrange torque advantage which helps off the line and corner acceleration tremendously.
In every single accelleration video on the street that Ive seen so far the c8 breaks traction almost immediately and TCS kicks in. It wont do these advertised numbers unless on a prepped drag strip. And I dont think there is any way its going to run 10's in the 1/4 stock but I suppose we will have to see.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
In every single accelleration video on the street that Ive seen so far the c8 breaks traction almost immediately and TCS kicks in. It wont do these advertised numbers unless on a prepped drag strip. And I dont think there is any way its going to run 10's in the 1/4 stock but I suppose we will have to see.
In all fairness there are not many videos out yet and we don't know who is driving any of the cars.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I just read an interview where a guy stated that the C8 Z51 outperforms the C7 Z06 in every measurable way. The guy who said this? The guy who led the development of both cars. :shock:. I’m REALLY starting to see a C8 3LT Z51 in my future..
Same here... if no manual, then a used one for a couple years until I get bored with the auto. If manual, then I'll buy new

I don't understand this corporate rhetoric that has been being used. Manual transmissions are generally smaller and lighter than DCTs, they don't need a "tunnel" for linkage as cable linkage is a thing, and we've determined over on the Corvette forum that the C8 footwell is actually wider than that of the C7, so there's ample room for a hydraulic OR digital clutch pedal

I went back and read some of the comments of people who were in attendance at the interview and they say that Ed later qualified his statements a bit by stating that the mid-engine design eliminates the traction issue that C7 Z06 has. Basically, for C7, traction limits the car’s ability to put ALL the power down until the car reaches 90 - 100 mph. With so much mass over the rear axle, C8 Z51 does not have that problem and just runs away from Z06. By the time Z06 hits 90 - 100, it has a lot of ground to make up to catch a C8 Z51. This leads me to believe Z51 will clip the quarter first but Z06 will trap faster.
This is exactly why I'm saying that I think the Vette will even be faster than a GT500 on track. Maybe not in the 1/4 mile, but on track where straightaways aren't as long and corner exit speed means EVERYTHING when it comes to getting down a straight fast, the C8 will definitely have an edge

This is the case with just about any performance cars. How many 2018 GTs have you really seen lay down sub-4 second 0-60 times on the street?

No manufacturer claims acceleration times "on the street", because that's illegal to perform in most cases, so it's pointless to advertise

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
By the time Z06 hits 90 - 100, it has a lot of ground to make up to catch a C8 Z51. This leads me to believe Z51 will clip the quarter first but Z06 will trap faster.
Nope.
The c8 is nothing new, if anything its a heavier mid engine car that has more torque than similar mid engine cars. Z06 have run 10s. You're saying a stock C8 will run 10s also? The Ford GT runs high 10s, does it with 647hp and 550tq, weighs around 200lbs lighter than the c8 if the c8 weighs in around 3600lbs.

GM probably did run 10s on a gutted/slicks c8. but the stock car coming out in showroom floors, z51 and all, will not run 10s. GT3 doesnt run 10s, only thing that car gives up to the c8 is the torque, 338tq vs 470tq, but theres a 300lb+ weight difference.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Using data we already know, GM makes a Corvette that is competitive with the outgoing Z06 model. They did this with C6 vs C5Z, C7 vs C6Z, C8 vs C7Z.

I'm curious for those following GM, how they think the C8 will perform when looking at lap time data. The C7Z is a quicker car compared to the GT3. Maybe the C8 is faster than a GT3 despite power being almost identical, with the torque going to the C8. But weight is an issue and the GT3 is a performance beast, carbon brakes, (depending on package, 4 wheel steering), Cup2 tires (& yes, even the Cup 2R), GT3 weighs in around 32xxlbs.
I'm looking forward to how GM develops this car, because the 0-60 time is great, but that weight is the enemy of performance. 3300lbs dry means it will be around 35xx, maybe 36xxlbs.

Look at the lap times on this list, if what GM says is true "the C8 Z51 outperforms the C7 Z06 in every measurable way", then with 495hp/470tq & a weight of 35xx (helping GM's claims) their car should be faster than a Ford GT.
https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/virginia-international-raceway-grand-east-course-post-01-2014
Sponsored