Sponsored

Let's talk about the C8 vs the GT500

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
However, you also have to know how to drive a DCT correctly, or else it'll break. People who like to creep in traffic and parking lots will destroy the transmission. This was seen in Ford's Powershift transmission... now, that trans had a slew of other issues, but the clutches would also prematurely wear because of people not knowing how to drive them
Whats the proper way to drive a DCT in bumper to bumper traffic?
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible

However, you also have to know how to drive a DCT correctly, or else it'll break. People who like to creep in traffic and parking lots will destroy the transmission. This was seen in Ford's Powershift transmission... now, that trans had a slew of other issues, but the clutches would also prematurely wear because of people not knowing how to drive them
I guess I am also curious about the proper way to drive a DCT. And just to be clear, I am asking because I didn’t know there was a right or wrong way to drive a DCT.

What I do know about DCT is that there are differences in the basic design of the Ford Powershift and DCTs like the Porsche PDK and the Tremec units in GT500 and C8. The Powershift was a “dry” DCT. The Tremecs and the PDK are “wet” DCTs. The defining difference is whether the clutch surfaces get oil or not. The rotating gears get oil in either design, so “dry” or “wet” only reference oil supply to the clutches themselves. Dry DCTs were the rage for about a minute and a half because of the significantly higher fuel economy improvement. That’s why they were launched on Fiesta and Focus. That and they had limited torque bearing capability due to heat transfer issues under load (go figure), so they were limited to small, low torque engines.

Ford, GM, and Volkswagen were all on a path of going all in on dry DCTs until the problems with Ford’s Powershift started to surface. GM literally walked away from some serious investment in dry DCT at the 11th hour, converting some applications to CVT and others to 6AT. I watched a Fiesta roll backward on a hill hold test at GM Milford Proving Grounds just before GM pulled the plug on the program.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I am also curious about the proper way to drive a DCT. And just to be clear, I am asking because I didn’t know there was a right or wrong way to drive a DCT.

What I do know about DCT is that there are differences in the basic design of the Ford Powershift and DCTs like the Porsche PDK and the Tremec units in GT500 and C8. The Powershift was a “dry” DCT. The Tremecs and the PDK are “wet” DCTs. The defining difference is whether the clutch surfaces get oil or not. The rotating gears get oil in either design, so “dry” or “wet” only reference oil supply to the clutches themselves. Dry DCTs were the rage for about a minute and a half because of the significantly higher fuel economy improvement. That’s why they were launched on Fiesta and Focus. That and they had limited torque bearing capability due to heat transfer issues under load (go figure), so they were limited to small, low torque engines.

Ford, GM, and Volkswagen were all on a path of going all in on dry DCTs until the problems with Ford’s Powershift started to surface. GM literally walked away from some serious investment in dry DCT at the 11th hour, converting some applications to CVT and others to 6AT. I watched a Fiesta roll backward on a hill hold test at GM Milford Proving Grounds just before GM pulled the plug on the program.
Ultimately, they're supposed to be driven like a manual... come to a full stop, wait for a gap, move forward, full stop again. The general use of a TC auto in which people continue to creep while applying the brakes causes unnecessary wear and tear on the trans, almost as if you were slipping the clutch in a manual while holding the brake

The wet clutch design helps alleviate this issue, but does not fully eliminate it

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
So, what does the new C8 do after 0-60??
I'm sure the new GT500 will beat it in a 1/4 mile. The new C8 Z06 though, (whenever that comes out),.....that might be another story.
I'd love to see some stock automatic ZR1's take on the new stock GT500 in quarter mile action.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
So, what does the new C8 do after 0-60??
I'm sure the new GT500 will beat it in a 1/4 mile. The new C8 Z06 though, (whenever that comes out),.....that might be another story.
I'd love to see some stock automatic ZR1's take on the new stock GT500 in quarter mile action.
Do you think the GT500 will beat the ZR1?

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Dunno why your all so concerned about weight. The Mercedes AMG GT R ain't no light weight and ran a 7:10:xx at the ring.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Dunno why your all so concerned about weight. The Mercedes AMG GT R ain't no light weight and ran a 7:10:xx at the ring.
Actually, by today’s standards it IS a lightweight. Just over 3,500 lbs.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I can't speak for others but I find lighter cars to be more enjoyable to drive. This might not make sense, but to me the Mustang (I'm most familiar with the GT350 as it's been a few years since my last GT) feels like it almost punishes the road. Like somehow the Mustang suspension is hammering the tires down onto the pavement. When you get into a significantly lighter car, the suspension feels more compliant without the loss of body control.

I think part of it is the height of the center of gravity as well as the weight. Both in my 944 and Corvette the ride is significantly better and the cars have really good body control. The Mustang tends to have less body control even with quite firm suspension. Don't get me wrong I really like how the Mustang (especially GT350) rides, but for me the inconvenience of having a lower ride height and smaller cabin really pays dividends in driving enjoyment.

Sponsored

nnnnnn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Haha bullshit. More like 5 secs.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I wonder if that was the C8 with the all seasons or some higher level version. Since it was breaking the tires loose, maybe the C8 in the video had the all seasons and that's why this version is slower?

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
So that’s what full send looks like?:giggle:

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if that was the C8 with the all seasons or some higher level version. Since it was breaking the tires loose, maybe the C8 in the video had the all seasons and that's why this version is slower?
Sounds like excuses :giggle:
Sponsored