Sponsored

Liquid Moly Ceratec

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
All I know is only 1 bottle, the tick went away, a smidge in mileage, and it's as quite as a mouse until I put my foot down.

Liqui-Moly says you can use it every oil change if you want, but not really needed.
Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I did a test run on my 2.2 ecotec Malibu and it seemed to improve gas mileage a bit and quieted down the 140k valvetrain. I might put it in the mustang next time I change the oil.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
To be devil's advocate: If this stuff was so great or beneficial or wonderful, why wouldn't Ford (or other Mfr.) put it in the car at the factory?
Ford does use specially formulated additive packs in their factory fill oil. They can’t use this in the oil they sell at the dealership, as it likely exceeds the limits on certain compounds.

757DRVR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
@1MEAN18

Could you explain why 5w-40 is the smart solution? I thought in colder climates like the one I live in you shouldnt use that thick of an oil. I'm an oil noob so any info you can throw my way is much appreciated.
I've read so many differing opinions on oil that it would make your head swim. I found this article pretty informative.

https://www.carbibles.com/guide-to-engine-oil/

I personally use Mobile 5W30, every 6 months which is around 7500 miles between changes.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I have an '18. Its in my manual. Dunno if a '19's manual wording was changed since I don't have it to reference. I'd have to open mine again to tell you the exact page, I don't remember it, but I do remember the wording well. When I get time, I'll give it a look to try and find the exact page, but it was a reference that included changing oil to 5W50 for track days, then draining and replacing with 5W20 afterwards for daily street usage. Most drag racers in the know use either 5W40 or 5W50 (which Roush and Whipple do suggest, but well after it was made common by plain ole mechanics in the know) even in n/a cars. I use full syn. Rotella T6 because its also a Euro spec diesel grade which has additives that extends its life and is helpful in also dealing with the extra acidity that comes from using ethanol as a primary fuel (E85) as well as diesel fuel. I believe the extra additives are Sulphur which helps negate the extra acidity.
My '18 manual says 5w/30 for track days for the 5.0 (page 246).

Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Ford does use specially formulated additive packs in their factory fill oil. They can’t use this in the oil they sell at the dealership, as it likely exceeds the limits on certain compounds.
I've heard of this secret sauce - I think it's probably a good reason to keep the factory fill in until due for a change.

OP
OP

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
THis to me sounds like a myth, probably also perpetuated on youtube (lots of myths are there). I cannot find a single thing confirming it from Ford. So I call BS on it. Sorry.

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I do not know more about oil and additives than the engineers and chemists at the oil company so I use their products as is. I also do not know more about my engine than the engineers at Ford so I follow their specifications for 5W-20 with no extra additives.
Ymmv...
you should read your owners manual more clearly, there are actually a few oil weight recommendations based upon usage.

5w20 is usually recommended only to make CAFE mileage standards. 5w30 is also perfectly acceptable, and offers better protection. 5w50 if you're doing heavy track usage.

Also, the engineers at Ford did not formulate the factory oil fill for your car. Ford Motorcraft is blended by Conoco Phillips, and is purchased because it is the cheapest bidder.

Last edited:

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
you should read your owners manual more clearly, there are actually a few oil weight recommendations based upon usage.

5w20 is usually recommended only to make CAFE mileage standards. 5w30 is also perfectly acceptable, and offers better protection. 5w50 if you're doing heavy track usage.

Also, the engineers at Ford did not formulate the factory oil fill for your car. Ford Motorcraft is blended by Conoco Phillips, and is purchased because it is the cheapest bidder.
I think there must be some confusion here between the 5.0 and the 2.3. I've read my owner's manual from cover to cover. For the 5.0, it recommends 5w/20. For track use, switch to 5w/30, but switch back to 5w/20 afterwards (p. 246). You can also use 0w/20 for extremely cold climates (p. 304). I see no mention anywhere else for anything different.

full.png

full.png

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
interesting, used to stick 5w50 in track pack models. Anyway, I'd not hesitate to use 5w30 all day everyday in a 5.0, or even 5w50.

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1

Please provide the data (from Ford engineering) that supports your statement that 5W-20 is only to meet CAFE standards.

The manufacturer of diesel engines and construction equipment where I worked for many years also did not make their own: oil; filters; batteries; and many other items *but they did provide their own specifications to the suppliers who made them*. Motorcraft oil may be made by numerous suppliers but it is to Ford specifications.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The industry trend to lower viscosity oil is driven by cafe fuel economy requirements.
This is true. The move to synthetic (or synthetic blend) factory fills in many makes has enabled sufficient protection in difficult OEM durability cycles at lower oil weights. Over the years you've seen companies like Honda change their weights within vehicle generations and no changes otherwise to the engine.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
This is true. The move to synthetic (or synthetic blend) factory fills in many makes has enabled sufficient protection in difficult OEM durability cycles at lower oil weights. Over the years you've seen companies like Honda change their weights within vehicle generations and no changes otherwise to the engine.
This is true, and ford even went as far as back-spec’ing older engines originally designed for 5w30 down to 5w20....even stating it was for fuel economy reasons.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
THis to me sounds like a myth, probably also perpetuated on youtube (lots of myths are there). I cannot find a single thing confirming it from Ford. So I call BS on it. Sorry.
It's not a myth. My previous company developed the additives for engine oil, and we formulated factory fill packages for a few OEMs. They contain high levels of dispersants at a minimum, which isn't generally seen in oil you buy off the shelf. I can't speak to Ford's specific factory fill package, but it would be unusual if they didn't do the same as many other OEMs.
Sponsored