Sponsored

Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
We are all individuals with opinions. None are worth more than the others. As long as they are opinions.
It’s a decent thread and I have nothing against anyone - my comments (some) were of sarcasm and jest...

But a 7.3?

Just wait until the day comes when the EV Mustang is available pushing 745.7 kW and smokes some antiquated Coyotes... there will be a similar thread asking who will swap a 7,965MW Nuclear powerplant into their future Stang!

:wink:
Sponsored

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
It’s a decent thread and I have nothing against anyone - my comments (some) were of sarcasm and jest...

But a 7.3?

Just wait until the day comes when the EV Mustang is available pushing 745.7 kW and smokes some antiquated Coyotes... there will be a similar thread asking who will swap a 7,965MW Nuclear powerplant into their future Stang!

I was one post from getting it off page one! But I also believe in free speech. People vote by hitting the “Post Reply” button. But I did try to bury my own thread. So you see I’m not a monster! All the superfluous crap on the other threads for nothing. For nothing man!

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
To even suggest that this motor home engine is relevant.to the Mustang is ridiculous.
The 7.3 is a heavy duty truck engine and no amount of stupid ass replies will change that fact.
Funny, the FE 427 was used in trucks, buses, boats and was also used for industrial projects.

What fools were they that crammed these into galaxies, mustangs and Shelby Cobras. How on Gods green earth did they not realize that they couldn't have possibly produced any power out of those boat anchors.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner

But a 7.3?

I want a damn Mr. Fusion in my S750 Stang.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Wrong!

With 120 people dropped from the Coyote assembly line and demand dropping, the Coyote is not long for this world. The Godzilla motor has just started its product cycle and because of the class of vehicle it is tied to - it will be a long production cycle.

In fact the Godzilla may be the last gas powered V8 Ford ever makes. So it does matter what kind of motor it is. It does matter if a crate motor is available. It does matter if there’s is aftermarket support. And as the last of the V8s, it will matter if it can be swapped into the Mustang cause this will be all we have from a production engine at Ford.

That is why we talk about it!
Godzilla will not be the last V-8 Ford makes. The only possible version of that is if future V-8s are based off of it.

Yes they moved people off of the coyote line but Ford knows they must offer a V-8 in the F-150 for the people that won't buy one without it. The 7.3 in a F-150 would destroy ford's CAFE ratings so we know the 7.3 won't go in the F-150.

The 6.2 is staying around as the base superduty engine

The reason it became a topic here is because virtually every news story when they announced the engine dealt with the question of whether it would fit in a Mustang. I didn’t have any say over that.

That is the interest and since third gen Coyote blocks cannot be reused, this motor may have to do, whether you like it or not. It’s not if it’s the best motor but more like it’s the only motor left in production for the hard core Ford V8 fan. Like it or not it may be all we have left...
The reason all the news was if it would fit in a mustang was simple. It was click bait. That was the headline on almost every article about the 7.3 and once you got to reading the article it was all about how its perfect for a diesel alternative, fleet users and should excel at towing. Then there was maybe a few throw away lines like it doesn't fit and wouldn't be good in the Mustang or F-150. Auto journalists know that if you put Mustang in a headline people are going to read it.

Now at the same time we should be cognizant of the fact that the Coyote is the V8 chosen for the Mustang. And it does perform. Members here paid good money for that engine and performance, so it is only natural that they are not crazy about adding a larger engine. It is understandable that they want what they paid for which is the official V8 engine in the Mustang - top of the line.

All I’m saying is that these are people like everyone else and a little empathy goes a long way. Having said that you also have the right to defend your ideas...
People are defending the coyote because it's the best fit for the Mustang right now AS IS. Strictly as far as what V-8's Ford currently produces as they roll off of the assembly line the Coyote is the best V8 for the Mustang. The 7.3 AS IT IS DESIGNED right now is designed for use in heavy duty applications.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
People are defending the coyote because it's the best fit for the Mustang right now AS IS. Strictly as far as what V-8's Ford currently produces as they roll off of the assembly line the Coyote is the best V8 for the Mustang. The 7.3 AS IT IS DESIGNED right now is designed for use in heavy duty applications.
That's not what I see. What I see are people who belittle others for their ideas. I see people that refuse to believe that an engine designed for a truck could possibly excel in a mustang. This is being done so much now that it's straying from civil debates with actual data and swung more towards personal insults and name calling. Unfortunately, we live in an era where any ideas that don't fall in line with the majority are shit simply because it's not popular.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
That's not what I see. What I see are people who belittle others for their ideas. I see people that refuse to believe that an engine designed for a truck could possibly excel in a mustang. This is being done so much now that it's straying from civil debates with actual data and swung more towards personal insults and name calling. Unfortunately, we live in an era where any ideas that don't fall in line with the majority are shit simply because it's not popular.
Yes it has gotten a bit out of hand with that.

the part I bolded is I think where the majority of the disagreement is. The main topic is the 7.3 AS IT IS BEING BUILT because that is what the OP wants.

Not with some custom aftermarket cam that doesn't exist, not retuned, not set up for a performance car. The OP want's the engine directly as Ford is building it designed for heavy duty trucks and motor homes.

The head of the engines development has said it won't fit, and won't be very good. That should be pretty cut and dry that the 7.3 AS IS would not be better than the Coyote. You yourself even agreed with this that the coyote offers better overall performance that the 7.3 in the Mustang. That is the topic at hand. the 7.3 as it is, not with a custom cam, not stretched out to 500 CI, not retuned.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Yes it has gotten a bit out of hand with that.

the part I bolded is I think where the majority of the disagreement is. The main topic is the 7.3 AS IT IS BEING BUILT because that is what the OP wants.

Not with some custom aftermarket cam that doesn't exist, not retuned, not set up for a performance car. The OP want's the engine directly as Ford is building it designed for heavy duty trucks and motor homes.

The head of the engines development has said it won't fit, and won't be very good. That should be pretty cut and dry that the 7.3 AS IS would not be better than the Coyote. You yourself even agreed with this that the coyote offers better overall performance that the 7.3 in the Mustang. That is the topic at hand. the 7.3 as it is, not with a custom cam, not stretched out to 500 CI, not retuned.
This is where our disagreement really is. By saying "it won't be very good", he's not saying it would be slow, he's saying the coyote is designed for the mustang and is a better engine for the chassis. He's just eluding to the fact that putting this in a mustang as is will not be worth the effort. Everyone knows the mustang is very sensitive on it's weight, and adding another 150lbs on the front end would be detrimental to it's handling. It's not going to drive the same, and it's not going to ride the same. There is a lot more to be considered when doing this swap than just straight line performance. What he's not recognizing is that there are some out there that are more than happy to sacrifice a small amount of horsepower for a shitload more torque. Hell, I recall an entire thread on this subject when people were starting to swap over the F150 manifold on their coyotes.. Many didn't care that this would be detrimental to the overall 1/4 mile, they just wanted a faster car stoplight to stoplight...something with more off the line torque.

What some of you don't seem to be considering is that simply because this is a truck engine does not necessarily mean it would be slow, even in stock form. There is a reason the camaro kills the mustang off the line and has a much easier time getting great 60' at the track.

Here's what I've been saying all along.

1) The 7.3L "could" make the s550 faster in the 1/4 mile compared to the coyote....even with less horsepower. I personally don't think it will, but it's possible...as the enormous amount of torque has the capability of significantly decreasing the 60' time.
2) The 7.3L is going to be snapper for everyday driving. This is what the OP wants, and it would do a damn good job at making it feel like it's faster (even if it's not).
3) Not a single response in here has given any technical information that would lead me to believe number one and 2 couldn't happen. All I've heard are "but iron block" and "but truck engine" and "but Joe Beltramo" excuses. This is a debate after-all, and as such...information should be offered to promote affirmative or negative.

I am more than happy to concede when I'm wrong. I would love to hear actual data or information to support the negative. As of right now, everyone is resting their laurels on a single quote from Joe that doesn't conclude anything except what we already knew...that the coyote is a better fit than the 7.3 for the S550.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
This is where our disagreement really is. By saying "it won't be very good", he's not saying it would be slow, he's saying the coyote is designed for the mustang and is a better engine for the chassis. He's just eluding to the fact that putting this in a mustang as is will not be worth the effort. Everyone knows the mustang is very sensitive on it's weight, and adding another 150lbs on the front end would be detrimental to it's handling. It's not going to drive the same, and it's not going to ride the same. There is a lot more to be considered when doing this swap than just straight line performance. What he's not recognizing is that there are some out there that are more than happy to sacrifice a small amount of horsepower for a shitload more torque. Hell, I recall an entire thread on this subject when people were starting to swap over the F150 manifold on their coyotes.. Many didn't care that this would be detrimental to the overall 1/4 mile, they just wanted a faster car stoplight to stoplight...something with more off the line torque.

What some of you don't seem to be considering is that simply because this is a truck engine does not necessarily mean it would be slow, even in stock form. There is a reason the camaro kills the mustang off the line and has a much easier time getting great 60' at the track.

1) The 7.3L "could" make the s550 faster in the 1/4 mile compared to the coyote....even with less horsepower. I personally don't think it will, but it's possible...as the enormous amount of torque has the capability of significantly decreasing the 60' time.
2) The 7.3L is going to be snapper for everyday driving. This is what the OP wants, and it would do a damn good job at making it feel like it's faster (even if it's not).
3) Not a single response in here has given any technical information that would lead me to believe number one and 2 couldn't happen. All I've heard are "but iron block" and "but truck engine" and "but Joe Beltramo" excuses. This is a debate after-all, and as such...information should be offered to promote affirmative or negative.

I am more than happy to concede when I'm wrong. I would love to hear actual data or information to support the negative. As of right now, everyone is resting their laurels on a single quote from Joe that doesn't conclude anything except what we already knew...that the coyote is a better fit than the 7.3 for the S550.
Except, as has been pointed out numerous times, it's not about torque, but power under the curve.

The 7.3L will make the mustang slower. Full stop.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Funny, the FE 427 was used in trucks, buses, boats and was also used for industrial projects.

What fools were they that crammed these into galaxies, mustangs and Shelby Cobras. How on Gods green earth did they not realize that they couldn't have possibly produced any power out of those boat anchors.
The 427 R code was never used in a truck.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Except, as has been pointed out numerous times, it's not about torque, but power under the curve.

The 7.3L will make the mustang slower. Full stop.
The 60' is entirely about torque. The rest of the 1/4 mile is entirely about area under the curve. We have an idea of what the torque is going to be, so we can infer that it absolutely is going to be faster out of the hole. You can bet your ass the powerband is going to be broad as hell, be we really don't know what the peak is going to be or what the area is going to look like.

This is the fundamental difference between the arguments going on. You are making a statement that the 7.3 is going to be slower with no evidence to support it (except an unknown added weight). You are not saying it should be, you are saying it will be as if fact.

I continue to offer evidence to support why I think the 7.3L "could be" quicker. Notice I never say it's going to be.

The 427 R code was never used in a truck.
According to members of this forum, it doesn't matter as it shares the same architecture. It is equally a bus and boat engine as it is a car engine. Of course, none of this matters in this discussion in the first place, as the simple fact that it's a truck engine does not mean it's going to be extremely heavy or slow.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Funny, the FE 427 was used in trucks, buses,
Again, that's because it was a cross platform engine. Not a dedicated heavy duty truck engine. That's the way they rolled in the 60s.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The 60' is entirely about torque. The rest of the 1/4 mile is entirely about area under the curve
Wrong. It's about peak horsepower. What's faster 1000 hp and 100 ftlb of torque or 100 hp and 1000ftlb of torque. Drag racing requires gear ratios to keep the rpms as close to peak horsepower as possible.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6

The way I read his quote is exactly that. It wouldn't be a good engine for the Mustang. Like you said, it would add weight, it would throw of the handling and wouldn't drive as good. Now personally I also think it would be slower. I don't expect it to have as much horsepower as you do, so I don't think the extra torque would offset the added weight.

Everything Ford has said about this engine and positioning it to be an alternative to a diesel makes me think its going to be just that. He also mentioned low reving nature. That tells me this engine is going to be set up for massive low end torque and leads me to believe that its going to fall on its face in the upper RPM range.

That just leads me to believe that AS IS the 7.3 will not be a good engine in a performance car. Not that it cant be with a different cam and tune, but as it will be offered from Ford based on what they have said about it and what we know about leads me to believe it will be an awesome heavy duty truck engine and not a good performance engine

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Wrong. It's about peak horsepower. What's faster 1000 hp and 100 ftlb of torque or 100 hp and 1000ftlb of torque. Drag racing requires gear ratios to keep the rpms as close to peak horsepower as possible.
Please explain why a two speed Powerglide is so often used even with Coyotes?
Top Fuel cars do not shift....as in zero gears.

Look, I love the A-10 and such.
But a person cannot paint everything with the same brush.
Sponsored