Sponsored

Who else is Manual or Bust?

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
fair analysis. But i feel the 350 would suit most track people anyway. hell, if 350 had dct, i woulda been fighting hard to get one of those too.

part of the draw for twisty oriented cars, is making them straightline monsters. On weekends with family/kids, even alone, car cruises etc, they are a great enjoyable ride. but then, when i feel like being a retard, i can go hang with a different set of friends, and hit the highways or dragstrips for straight line fun.
Based off the rest of sports car sales, the GT350 may have sold even more if it were DCT, err, "Automatic".

There's a lot of people who can't drive auto, or their wife won't let them have a car they can't drive.

If you want a manual, buy a manual. Don't complain that not every car has a manual. Who wants a manual Veyron? Why should Bugatti spend millions developing a manual that only a handful of people would buy (it won't cover the development costs).

But in this generation of "me, me, me" and "if I don't need/want it, I don't want you to have it", I guess it shouldn't surprise me when millennials (and millennials at heart) are ruining the world.
Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
When I was a boy, my mom had a gold 1974 Mustang 4-speed. She'd let me sit in the passenger seat and watch her push in the clutch, and I'd shift for her. When my parents bought a manual Toyota Corolla when I was in high school, it was the only car I liked to drive. My first personal vehicle was my grandfather's hand-me-down 1971 GMC pickup with a "3 on the tree" (I bet 90% of the people reading this have never heard of that before). To me shifting is fun. To other people (like my wife) it's annoying and useless, like living without air conditioning when technology has conquered the temperature of your house. To each their own. But if someone offered to trade me a GT500 for my GT with no cost difference, I'd keep the GT. To me it's more fun. But I get it with respect to people who think automatics are fun.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Agreed. On the street a 400hp manual is more than enough to be entertained. You don't need an additional 300.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Not gonna cry over spilt milk. Looking forward to spending some time with one of these while I'm still above ground.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Ford really should have left the flappy paddles off in order to optimize the shifting. There's no way the best times will be had with a human pulling the paddles.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ford really should have left the flappy paddles off in order to optimize the shifting. There's no way the best times will be had with a human pulling the paddles.
Not consistently, anyway.

If this car is to be seen as competition for the ZL1 Camaro, it'll need to be more than just a dragstrip hero (and Dodge already has the straight line only image locked away).

Norm

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I'm actually a DCT or bust guy, the fact Ford put a DCT in this car, so it can actually use it's power, and be efficient in multiple version of racing, is what put it on it's radar for me.

Redzone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z06/FGT
The fastest times for a DCT are always in Drive with the transmission in it's most aggressive setting. Unless your name is Randy Pobst.

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
There's a lot of people who can't drive auto, or their wife won't let them have a car they can't drive.
See I am lucky in this regard because my wife is from Italy she won't drive an automatic. I "paid" extra for a 2010 Escape with a manual because it came from Vermont(+$700 delivery) when I traded it in with 100K+ miles we went with a Jeep Compas because Jeep is the only US/Italian car company with a manual. Good thing because the engine is a dog so it takes some actual driving to get it to perform.

I hate Ford for going all SUV and no manual cars outside of Mustang. We have three cars all manuals had all Fords for a while but now will be changing. I would guess if I can find a leftover new manual that will replace the winter commuter car slot if we can find a Ford but then I guess will have to go non-American after it.

When cars are electric we cross that bridge when we get to it.

I have never owned an automatic tranny in any car over 30 years. Never had a tranny replaced.
I personally enjoy the engagement with driving one.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Not consistently, anyway.

If this car is to be seen as competition for the ZL1 Camaro, it'll need to be more than just a dragstrip hero (and Dodge already has the straight line only image locked away).

Norm
Not ever even once in their lifetime will a human being pull the shift paddle at exactly the correct time to optimize the shifting. Normally I would say it's close enough, but all the "manual transmissions suck" guys are already into measuring shift times down to fractions of a second. So I feel it's fair to say that unless you are using the DCT in fully automatic mode your lap times will suffer.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
So I feel it's fair to say that unless you are using the DCT in fully automatic mode your lap times will suffer.
I feel it fair to say that your assertion is pretty far from reality. Bottom line, the GT500 will be quicker with the DCT (manually shifted or otherwise) on the track than it would have been with a manual, such as the TR6060 for example.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I feel it fair to say that your assertion is pretty far from reality. Bottom line, the GT500 will be quicker with the DCT (manually shifted or otherwise) on the track than it would have been with a manual, such as the TR6060 for example.
So the fractions of seconds per shift gained with a DCT are firmly reality based, but the fractions of seconds gained by allowing the computer to shift are far from reality.

Got it.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
So the fractions of seconds per shift gained with a DCT are firmly reality based, but the fractions of seconds gained by allowing the computer to shift are far from reality.

Got it.
shift times and timing of the shift are not the same. I assume you never had to calculate optimal shift points for acceleration either? its not always at peak rpm

Last edited:

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
i think the 'Track' in reference to a 1/4 drag track then YES probably a DCT left in auto at its greatest performance mode would be hard to beat by 'banging' paddles. BUT i think if 'Track' is in reference to a road course then i think 'manually' shifting the DCT vs Auto will depend on driver ability and skill. I can see a good driver putting down better times by shifting DCT manually. Now a novice like myself in any track reference is better to let the computer handle it.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
With a auto I wouldn't get to do this!
Yes you cannot do that! But a computer can do it quicker! May not be as fun but it will be quicker! Now timing, feel, fun, 'experience',etc, etc will be mostly lost or driver dependent.
Sponsored