On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Them: I want the greatest Engine you can produce for 2020
Ford: DONE. Check.

Them: I want the greatest suspension you can produce using advanced technology
Ford: DONE. Great suspension, check. Use computers to develop it, fine . . . but keep them way away from its operation.

Them: I want the greatest aerotechnology you can produce for 2020
Ford: DONE. Check.

Them: I want the most up-to-date interior you can produce comfort, quality and sportiness
Ford: DONE. Make it usable and functional. Not pretty for the sake of pretty.

Them: I want the greatest electronics controlling everything that you can produce
Ford: DONE. Everything??? Ummmm, no.

Them: I want the ABSOLUTE most capable all around performance machine FORD has ever done
Ford: Done. I think that's called a Ford GT, not a Mustang anything.
Them: YoU DiDN't pUt a 100 yeAR oLd TrANsMisSiOn iN it!!!???
Ford: What.. The.... F**k...
Are you suggesting that Ford should have chosen to go with the CVT instead?

I mean, helical gearing is such 19th century technology (1897), and spur gears are far older than that.

Norm
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I wouldnt say thats a flip-side, id say its the same thing, maximizing the potential, maximizing the expected repeatable results.
If you're not racing in timed competition, those things aren't nearly that important.

Most people don't race in timed competition . . .

Norm

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Are you suggesting that Ford should have chosen to go with the CVT instead?

I mean, helical gearing is such 19th century technology (1897), and spur gears are far older than that.

Norm
im suggesting the most performance oriented car, with their best efforts, have exactly that, aka dct.

most points were highly opinionated

If you're not racing in timed competition, those things aren't nearly that important.

Norm
they have cars for those guys.. and not labelled as "GTxxx". for the rest of us, we do

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
I think they should just drop a "Toploader' in it and call it a day. That way all of the MANUAL guys will be fully engaged. The Z1LE is getting a 10spd automatic...I wonder why that is. So when it's whooping your butt you can still be engaged and say I'm shifting!

Going to quote somebody..."If your not 1st your last !" I think the GT500 will be a beast to drive with the DCT, and I can only hope things are not out of control so I can get my grubby hands on one.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

Norm
I agree. I want GM to make faster cars than Ford, but I'll be happier and cooler rowing my own gears. It's not like I can buy a car that better fits my needs.

Sponsored

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I don't get paid by how fast my car is. If I did I would not have a manual or even a mustang! I have my mustang because I enjoy driving a manual, V8, rear wheel car that's looks and sounds good! Obviously I'm going to buy the fastest car that fits that bill as long as it looks sexy too! I need a back seat so that's the reason I bought my car 4 years ago. I was really thinking the GT 500 would be my next car but I guess I'll have to wait for the next offering or wait until I no longer need a back seat and go buy a vette. If I had a crystal ball I would of held off a year or two a bought a GT 350. Trading up on one is still an option. Nothing sexier than a black Gt 350 with matte black stripes out lined in red with the track pack spoiler!
Screenshot_20190204-193454_Chrome.jpg

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
I don't get paid by how fast my car is. If I did I would not have a manual or even a mustang! I have my mustang because I enjoy driving a manual, V8, rear wheel car that's looks and sounds good! Obviously I'm going to buy the fastest car that fits that bill as long as it looks sexy too! I need a back seat so that's the reason I bought my car 4 years ago. I was really thinking the GT 500 would be my next car but I guess I'll have to wait for the next offering or wait until I no longer need a back seat and go buy a vette. If I had a crystal ball I would of held off a year or two a bought a GT 350. Trading up on one is still an option. Nothing sexier than a black Gt 350 with matte black stripes out lined in red with the track pack spoiler!
C8 Vette appears to be DCT only as of now.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
im suggesting the most performance oriented car, with their best efforts, have exactly that, aka dct.
Fair enough, though there should still be room for choice. Even at the top.

I have to hope that those who are fortunate enough to get one of these cars actually uses it to the extent of its (or their) capability with the paddles. Hate to think that most of these cars will end up being driven with the selector slapped . . . err, twisted . . . into 'D' just like any other automatic.

they have cars for those guys.. and not labelled as "GTxxx". for the rest of us, we do
I guess we'll have to wait and see how well the 500 does in track sessions that last 20 minutes or so rather than 10 seconds, on tracks that go around more corners than just the U-turn onto the return road. I'm sure that for time trialing where the second or so per minute really does matter the car will get bumped well up the classing ladder. Hopefully it'll be better at more than just the obvious straight line stuff, and not end up being a Hellcat with a blue oval badge.

FWIW, if for any reason I absolutely had to choose a 2-pedal car, I'd probably go DCT over conventional AT. But as of right now either of those choices takes away more than it gives back. To me, anyway.

Norm

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Fair enough, though there should still be room for choice. Even at the top.

I have to hope that those who are fortunate enough to get one of these cars actually uses it to the extent of its (or their) capability with the paddles. Hate to think that most of these cars will end up being driven with the selector slapped . . . err, twisted . . . into 'D' just like any other automatic.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how well the 500 does in track sessions that last 20 minutes or so rather than 10 seconds, on tracks that go around more corners than just the U-turn onto the return road. I'm sure that for time trialing where the second or so per minute really does matter the car will get bumped well up the classing ladder. Hopefully it'll be better at more than just the obvious straight line stuff, and not end up being a Hellcat with a blue oval badge.

FWIW, if for any reason I absolutely had to choose a 2-pedal car, I'd probably go DCT over conventional AT. But as of right now either of those choices takes away more than it gives back. To me, anyway.

Norm
fair analysis. But i feel the 350 would suit most track people anyway. hell, if 350 had dct, i woulda been fighting hard to get one of those too.

part of the draw for twisty oriented cars, is making them straightline monsters. On weekends with family/kids, even alone, car cruises etc, they are a great enjoyable ride. but then, when i feel like being a retard, i can go hang with a different set of friends, and hit the highways or dragstrips for straight line fun.

Sponsored

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I don't see people complaining Ferrari ditched manuals and McLaren never offered them (F1 does not count).

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I don't see people complaining Ferrari ditched manuals and McLaren never offered them (F1 does not count).
Let's hope that the Mustang crowd never get as upscale-image-conscious as that.

Buy a DCT or whatever for the right functional/operational reason, fine.

Norm

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
No we donā€™t hear of it, but check out the price of the final manual equipped F430s. Itā€™s amazing.

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
Hate to think that most of these cars will end up being driven with the selector slapped . . . err, twisted . . . into 'D' just like any other automatic.
Why does it matter to you how a person drives a car that you donā€™t own?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Why does it matter to you how a person drives a car that you donā€™t own?
OK, I'll play . . . why does it matter to you that it actually might matter to me?

Norm
Sponsored