Sponsored

Who else is Manual or Bust?

VoodooPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold 2011 GT, Sold 2016 GT 350, 2018 GT 350R JR034
I’m not giving Ford my $75k until it comes with a manual. I don’t care if it’s a few tenths slower at drag strip, 0-60 and slower on the road course because of the manual. I road race about three times a year and drag race a few weekends . I want a drivers car with 3 pedals that is enjoyable to drive and has that mechanical connection to the driver. I feel Ford will get it right with either a late launch manual or 2021 will have manual. It’s unfortunate that the 3 pedal crowd has to wait though. Who else agrees with me?
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I don't agree and hope there are thousands that feel as you do. If culling the herd reduces the number of potential buyers then so be it. I'm not thrilled with the choice we have either but it isn't going to prevent me from purchasing the car if everything else falls into line.

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
The car is more than the sum of its parts - i am not buying it ...... list of forum statements about not buying if it is not twin turbo, not buying if they have a black front bumper, not buying if over 3800lbs, or 4000 lbs or 4200 lbs or.... not buying if auto, not buying if manual, not buying if......

We will see if all these statements are true if it sells like a ZL1 - discounted, or else the real buyers are not commenting on forums

alan0614

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford/Blue
I'm a 3 pedal guy as well, but would be willing to give the DCT a try. There are lots of high performance cars using them, must be for a good reason.

A_Bau3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All of them
I find it ironic how the head engineer said twin turbos were never a consideration because they wanted to stay true to the GT500 heritage by making it supercharged...yet here we are with no manual option due for launch.

If they’re going all in for performance and no compromises, make it AWD w/ twin turbos while they’re at it.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I'm a 3 pedal guy as well, but would be willing to give the DCT a try. There are lots of high performance cars using them, must be for a good reason.
Yeah, I've had a string of manuals, which included a few "manual only" options (pre-C7 Z06, S2000, GTPP in MY16) and others where I chose the manual option over the auto (I had to have a convertible, PP package with a manual shipped in from MD). I __really__ drive my cars, I've been at dozens of track events in SE (Roebling, Road Atl, Moroso, Sebring, CMP), heck, I even had one of these on the windshield of my last car :)

upload_2019-1-15_7-50-57.png

HOWEVER ...

I've also had the opportunity to drive some cars with DCTs: GT-R, M3/4, various Porsches, even an F-car, on the street, on the track (full tilt), and I've got to say, it's pretty spectacular. It's definitely NOT an automatic - there's a really granular level of control, the car isn't "driving itself" when in full manual mode - the driver is making decisions with regard to gear selection, the driver is steering, the driver is choosing their line, the driver is modulating the brakes, the driver ... well, you get it :)

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
DCT? You might as well hire a chauffeur! I listened to everyone and got the Porsche PDK (considered the benchmark of DCT's) in my Boxter GTS. Love the car but if I had to do it again it would be a manual for sure! Really takes away from the FEEL of driving the car.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Oh come on guys! You know you want to trade your low mileage 13/14 GT500 in on one. Go for it!

The car is out of my budget. I just need a bunch of you Shelby enthusiasts with deep pockets to trade your antiquated old 13/14 GT500 relic in and saturate the market with them so I can have at chance at owning one of your left overs. Come on guys! Show some love for your less fortunate bottom dwellers who can only hope to own one of your throw away low mileage inferior 13/14 GT500 models. Think of it as a charity move. LOL!

Personally I would have like to see modern day technology added to old school CID on the power plant. Go back to 427 CID like they had in 1967. Add flexfuel and VCT technology along with today's direct fuel injection/management and you have an N/A engine capable of 700+ at the flywheel. Plus with the lighter alloys it may even weigh less than the current setup in the 2020 GT500 guessing. But then again it doesn't really matter. I'm just a poor factory worker who will be lucky to own a used 13/14 GT500 one day.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
I find it ironic how the head engineer said twin turbos were never a consideration because they wanted to stay true to the GT500 heritage by making it supercharged...yet here we are with no manual option due for launch.

If they’re going all in for performance and no compromises, make it AWD w/ twin turbos while they’re at it.
You really think Carol Shelby would have only put a 7 speed DCT in it?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think the new GT500 is awesome, but it isn't for me. I prefer driving a car with a manual transmission. On the street an automatic/DCT puts me to sleep. I've also driven a couple high end cars with DCTs on track and I didn't find it especially enjoyable. My goal when I buy a car is to have fun driving it, and to me the DCT/automatic takes a big part of the challenge and the fun out of the driving experience. I don't time myself on track. IMO lap time is only important for pro drivers. For me it's about enjoyment.

I hope the GT500 takes some interest away from the GT350 so I can buy another one. I hope Ford keeps building more GT350s. The more the better.

I'm excited to see some GT500s on the street and track. Hopefully Ford will build/sell a lot of them as well. They sure sound great and I bet they will be fast.

Sponsored

jjw

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.shelbyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 PP2, 05 STI 475whp, 04 cayenne turbo, Shelbys
You really think Carol Shelby would have only put a 7 speed DCT in it?
In the later half of his life CS preferred auto trans. He had cobras and a 69 GT500 with auto.
I’m a manual guy, but the idea of a great DCT in a S550 with the sort of power that this thing will have is incredibly exciting to me. Zero tq interruption mode.... that is going to be “snappy” to say the least.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
In the later half of his life CS preferred auto trans. He had cobras and a 69 GT500 with auto.
I’m a manual guy, but the idea of a great DCT in a S550 with the sort of power that this thing will have is incredibly exciting to me. Zero tq interruption mode.... that is going to be “snappy” to say the least.
That was back in the day when your left leg would be huge and your right leg normal. Modern clutches have very light effort and I bet Shelby would drive the heck out of a manual transmission car like the GT350 if it had existed even in his 80s.

Birddogjr350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
james
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F150 FX4
FORD give us a manual option!!! for the one's of us that know how to drive a car with a manual transmission!!!

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I agree.

What I don't understand is why engineers have not made a 7-speed slushbox for DCT..? (all switches in the gates, instead of linkage). I wrote a long paper/post on this in the BMW forums many.. many years ago... (that BMW themselves didn't appreciate)

Following such a design & you have the both of best worlds. Why have a dial when you can have a gear gate box..? Who shift gears in real life sequentially..? Even auto's don't do that, & the reason hate Paddle shifters, because they don't allow me direct access to the exact gear I WANT. Incredible amounts of dumb engineering going on. (DCT's need a slushbox for total control = sold for every car it would be put in.)
Sponsored