Sponsored

Friday at the Track: 2016 Tech Pack = No Limp Mode!!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It sounds like there is something wrong with your car above and beyond the lack of coolers
Now my car has coolers, but last year when I went to the dealer after experiencing the problem the first time they told me, "that's how they are".
Sponsored

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Op I have a tech pack, and I have enabled tranny temp via Forscan (highly recommended)and I have experienced 0 limp mode in very cold temps (35-40F) and I also have experienced limp mode consistently in high temps (80F).

the tranny does not get cooled at all by air just b/c of the location. My advice is just spend 200 dollars and get the new version of Shelby scoop. this is the cheapest fix and a great fix for our problems. With the scoop the tranny will get cooled by air and it does solve the limp mode issue for me.

here is my review, hope it helps

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85233

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Wow!! A forum member tracks his tech car with no issues and almost everyone questions him? So fudging redonculous!!! Its like the asking for proof that I purchased an R for MSRP. SmH. I dont get it! I am happy for the OP and his car not hitting limp mode.

DirtRoadTrip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Glad you had fun without hitting limp mode - which run group were you in? I was out there this past Saturday and Sunday immediately after your FATT session on Friday running with Trackdaze in Blue (intermediate). The ambient temps were nearly identical in the low 90's, and I was hitting between 280-285 degrees on my 2017 GT350 with coolers, running 1:25-1:28 lap times. Did you keep track of any of your lap times?

Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Wow!! A forum member tracks his tech car with no issues and almost everyone questions him? So fudging redonculous!!! Its like the asking for proof that I purchased an R for MSRP. SmH. I dont get it! I am happy for the OP and his car not hitting limp mode.
I'm happy for him as well and I'd like to be happy for other tech owners also. That's why I'm curious to know what is different about his experience or mods compared to others. The temps and track driving should have resulted in hitting limp as nearly everybody else has in the same conditions. I don't think there is anything wrong with asking questions in a respectful manner. This is exactly what the car forum is for so we can learn from each other. I'm not calling him a liar as I said previously, but something is different here.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I am happy for him as well. :cheers:

I would say, however, that if I purchased a tech pack car based on his post and then went to the track and my car went into limp mode quickly... I would be PISSED!!!

I don't want a bunch of people to read his posts and then get burned by their tech pack cars like I have been burned by mine. I don't care what you paid for your R model. I do care about people like me who might consider buying a tech pack car in the future. If they are deceived into buying one... Maybe deceived is the wrong word to use here. I'm not sure what the right word is.

I just don't want people to buy a 2015 or 2016 tech pack car with the intention of taking it to the track unless they are aware that the most likely outcome is limp mode in a short amount of time and very abbreviated track sessions with power limited and RPM cut short.

I try to be respectful and keep quiet at times when I disagree, but I don't want new buyers to be hurt by a misunderstanding of the typical capabilities of a tech pack or base GT350.

OP
OP
autobahnGT350

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
@ arsenalrocks,

Thank you. I explored the Shelby scoop as an option,especially after reading your review of version 2 of the scoop. Congratulations on the effectiveness of this solution for your car. Do you have the FORSCan tweak everyone is talking about?

I will probably not hit the track again until much later this year, or early next year. In between, I plan on adding the Ford factory cooler parts. :cheers:

@ Zitrosounds,

Amen brother! It was a blast for sure and I feel "lucky"compared to others who have not had success at the track. This is not my first rodeo out there and I am very pleased that at least my car was able to operate at such a high level of performance without any issues.

[MENTION=18517]DirtRoadTrip[/MENTION],

Thank you. I ran in the Intermediate advanced group. My instructor ran the 1st session for 2 laps, all in 5th gear, and I ran the last 3 laps in 4th gear. He obviously knew the track way better then me and therefore had confidence just cruising the track, and that is what it was when he was in the driver seat, just a familiarization lap for me to get to know the track. It was the Summit Point track BTW. Track times, oh that, I forgot to do anything that I was used to doing when I road raced in Germany, video check, battery check, memory or film check, and suction cup = FAIL. Next time I will be better prepared, I promise.

What type of events were they on Saturday and Sunday? Are they the 2 day at the track events, similar to FATT? Someone told us we should do that next time.

[MENTION=24957]Minn19[/MENTION],

I think in addition to what I specified for my mods already, JLT CAI and the tuner, DTP Racing,
http://www.dtpracing.net/about.html

might be able to answer any questions concerning what parameters are, if any, are changed in the automobile outside optimizing for 93 octane, revising the idle, some alterations in timing, and a new fuel map curve, etc. I don't know exactly. I am adamantly aware of the tech pack cooling issues, that is why I am pleasantly surprised myself and like others, and willing to pursue adding the Ford coolers to my car as well. I don't think we need to necessarily purchase an entire track pack tranny to have a viable solution. Good luck.

All,

Here is the track I was on this past Friday. Happy 4th of July!
summit_main.png

DirtRoadTrip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The event I did was a 2-days event with 5 run groups (beginner, intermediate, int-advanced, advanced, and instructors). Each group gets 4 30-minute track sessions per day on Saturday and Sunday. We were on the same circuit (Summit Point Main). Running the whole track in 4th gear will def. keep temps down.

I shift into 4th on the start/finish straight, go down to 3 in turn 1, and use 3rd gear from 1 all the way through turn 9, then go to 4th between 9 and 10, and back to 3rd to enter the front stretch. I'm kissing redline before turn 3, and again before a slight lift/brake brush going into 4. I'm running to redline on the start/finish straight, hitting ~142-143 in 4th before braking for 1.

Next time I'm there, I'm going to experiment with downshifting to 2 in in turn 1 for a better exit, and getting into 4th for ~2 seconds before downshifting into turn 3. It may end up being a wash if the complexity of the extra shifting messes me up on turn-ins.

OP
OP
autobahnGT350

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
The event I did was a 2-days event with 5 run groups (beginner, intermediate, int-advanced, advanced, and instructors). Each group gets 4 30-minute track sessions per day on Saturday and Sunday. We were on the same circuit (Summit Point Main). Running the whole track in 4th gear will def. keep temps down.

I shift into 4th on the start/finish straight, go down to 3 in turn 1, and use 3rd gear from 1 all the way through turn 9, then go to 4th between 9 and 10, and back to 3rd to enter the front stretch. I'm kissing redline before turn 3, and again before a slight lift/brake brush going into 4. I'm running to redline on the start/finish straight, hitting ~142-143 in 4th before braking for 1.

Next time I'm there, I'm going to experiment with downshifting to 2 in in turn 1 for a better exit, and getting into 4th for ~2 seconds before downshifting into turn 3. It may end up being a wash if the complexity of the extra shifting messes me up on turn-ins.
That sounds eerily close to my shift patterns. I loved staying in 3rd after turn 1 and holding it close to redline through turn 9, sometimes holding 3rd gear all the way through turn 10 and then shifting to 4th on the straightway until turn 1, down to 3 again. Also, I experimented shifting into 4th after turn 9 until the bridge, then downshifting into 3rd again,,,this was to experiment with my apex speeds; both entry and exit. One thing I noticed, was that I was never concerned about the brakes, no matter how I drove the car.

Did you also have the factory pads, tires, and wheels during your sessions? What group were you in? Since I had the instructor, I could feel my car straining for speed at the end of the straight from 10 to 1.

How much track time do you have at Summit Point? This was my first time at that track. Thanks. :cheers:

Sponsored

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
I ran Willow Springs without shifting and did not hit limp mode. When I began going faster and shifting I hit limp mode before the end of each 20 minute session. The Shelby scoop has helped but I have the new transmission and coolers to install. I just haven't gotten around to it. I'm glad you didn't hit limp. It kind of sours the session.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
I've got ~10 track days at Summit Point. Last time I drove that circuit was in 2004 - it didn't end well. My student decided to put my side of the car into the tire wall off on the left side before T5 at like 75MPH on the 1st lap of the 1st run of the 1st day! Totaled his car and I was banged up pretty badly (nothing permanent). Prior to that I got my first session in. I now had to swap my tires right away, pack up and head out for a long, painful drive back to Jersey. The next time I was there was 2006, but we did the Shenandoah, which I did not care for.

In any case, I remember doing a lot more shifting, but I was driving AWD cars and a well set-up FWD car. As I recall, 2nd into T1, back to 3rd before T3, 2nd into T5, 3rd before T9, 4th then back to 3rd before T10, back to 4th on the front straight. I also used to throttle steer in T8 (brief lift off the throttle, then back on momentarily lightens the rear and increases grip at the front which helps rotate the car). Not sure if this is necessary or would help on a GT350 though.

Oh, I also took my Porsche there in 2000. Crappy picture of a picture I have in my garage.
IMG_4344.jpg

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
On the other hand, it is entirely possible that his tuner may have erased or changed the set limits where limp mode would activate? It is all controlled by the ECU after all to limit the power, so that may have something to do with it?
A little food for thought: One of the guys on the forum hit trans temps of 306 in his Lund-tuned tech car and no limp. Billy Johnson drove the piss out of Jon Lund's tech car and no limp. Now another limp-free tuned tech car.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
A little food for thought: One of the guys on the forum hit trans temps of 306 in his Lund-tuned tech car and no limp. Billy Johnson drove the piss out of Jon Lund's tech car and no limp. Now another limp-free tuned tech car.
Yeah I think the tunes are the saving grace for these tech cars that aren't overheating. The car is put into limp mode via the ECU which reduces power; isn't hard to believe at all that the tunes are raising the limits at which point limp mode would activate.

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I'm not joining in to make comments about limp mode (I have a Tech Pack, BTW).

I'm only nosing in to say that the shifting described here for Summit Point Main is effectively loafing around that track. Really loafing. Don't get me wrong: taking it easy is perfectly ok when getting acclimated and learning a track. The point is you had fun and enjoyed your car. That's all that matters. Period.

I am curious, though, if you were paying attention to your revs, particularly coming onto the front straight in third gear? That's "typically" a fourth gear corner (and full throttle). I ask because it's when we work up and down through the revs and try to max power that we generate the most heat, which can result in the infamous "limp mode." I would expect that you'd be around 7K revs or higher through that turn in third.

And, please take my comments / questions as just talking track, not trash.

Kudos on a great day.
Aaron
Sponsored