Sponsored

Limp Mode on the Track

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
You might be right if you read the press release the non track car doesn't have a engine cooler, which i think members have said it does. I think you are spot on about the 50K price point. Dealers ADM'd the shit out of them anyway. Edit the supplement also implies there are models with out engine oil coolers.
My base also has the oil cooler
Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
My base also has the oil cooler
Thanks I think originally Ford didnt plan on having them on the non track cars.

I know some people with the Tech are feeling mislead but all the material I see mention the additional cooler on the track and R, I am wondering if the press material was changed after launch.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
At first Ford released info for the GT350 and GT350R. It was always advertise as a Track inspired car. They didn't release the package options until right around the time people could order. All 3 coolers were supposed to be removed from the Base/Tech packages. When they released the package options Ford never said anything about the transmission issues. All discussions said that typical sessions wouldn't be a problem for hobbyists but all day sessions or seasoned track drivers would need the coolers.

Only after the first stories of limp mode did people start saying we should have known. But that for site wasn't the discussion prior.

Bottom line we made dicisions based on misguide and half info. We took responsibility by paying a lot for a performance car that doesn't out performing a lesser model. Ford engineered the car and new that lack of coolers was a detriment to its reliability and performance and should never never offered it without the coolers. Here is Ford's responsibility?

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
At first Ford released info for the GT350 and GT350R. It was always advertise as a Track inspired car. They didn't release the package options until right around the time people could order. All 3 coolers were supposed to be removed from the Base/Tech packages. When they released the package options Ford never said anything about the transmission issues. All discussions said that typical sessions wouldn't be a problem for hobbyists but all day sessions or seasoned track drivers would need the coolers.

Only after the first stories of limp mode did people start saying we should have known. But that for site wasn't the discussion prior.

Bottom line we made dicisions based on misguide and half info. We took responsibility by paying a lot for a performance car that doesn't out performing a lesser model. Ford engineered the car and new that lack of coolers was a detriment to its reliability and performance and should never never offered it without the coolers. Here is Ford's responsibility?

Bingo

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track

Thanks for that detail, that was kinda of what I wanted to know. Knowing that I change my position. I am not unreasonable!

"All discussions said that typical sessions wouldn't be a problem for hobbyists but all day sessions or seasoned track drivers would need the coolers. "

That is a inherently misleading statement from Ford.

Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Full disclosure and I don't want to mislead you. those "discussions weren't from ford but from forum discussions.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Full disclosure and I don't want to mislead you. those "discussions weren't from ford but from forum discussions.
Gotcha. That is the best picture I have gotten anyway. Im new to ford I was looking at a M2 so im late to the party. Luckily I had this forum to look at before I bought.

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know

AFAIK, the first mention here regarding Ford's statement about GT 350s needing coolers for track use and extended high-speed use was Aug. 8, 2015, when someone posted a copy of the GT 350 Supplement. Wasn't that before any GT 350s were built? My order was written at the beginning of May and accepted by Ford in June. That means I had weeks, and in fact several months by the time it was built, to change my order from Tech to Track if I wanted to.

I just don't understand how so many people (even though it's still a small number, compared to the total production numbers) feel like they got suckered by Ford. If your GT 350 was one of the very first delivered, I understand your angst. But if you ordered or bought a car from a dealer after mid-August 2015 based on an ad or two and incomplete research before plunking down $60K (or whatever), maybe you just need to own the fact that you screwed up. :shrug:

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Aug. 8, 2015, when someone posted a copy of the GT 350 Supplement.

And that was super widespread dissemination, many of us were not even members then. Like a public forum posting about a supplement you receive post ownership is a valid consumer warning. Are you sober.

Companies that blame consumers for missed expectations do not thrive, I'm out. I tire of this continued drivel.

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
Probably as tired as some of us are at the endless comments from the handful of people who clearly didn't do their research or made a mistake in purchasing the wrong car - and continue to try to diminish the value of all GT 350s.

Sell the damn car - life is too short.

Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Probably as tired as some of us are at the endless comments from the handful of people who clearly didn't do their research or made a mistake in purchasing the wrong car - and continue to try to diminish the value of all GT 350s.

You act as if we are saying the GT350 is a piece of junk. That's not what I at least have ever said. I love my GT350 and I've never driven it.

The issues with heat is an engineering flaw that Ford decided was an acceptable risk. This flaw was corrected it in the very next model year. The engineers should had never let a 526 hp car with a 8250 rpm limit out the door without coolers.

Again Ford marketed an idea and history with this car in many ways and materials that unfortunately a few people where caught up in.
Right now I have a $60k Ford Performance car that doesn't perform as advertised. Sorry we will never agree on this.

But yes you are right I can sell my car. If Ford calculates that my customer satisfaction isn't worth fixing this known issue then yes I will sell my car. And in Germany I stand to make most if not more money back. If that becomes my course of action, then I will NEVER buy another Ford product. I would have lost confidence in Ford.

At $60k there are a lot of choices that out perform the Tech package GT350 on the street and at the track. A Mustang GT will do it at the track in a 30min session. But I would likely go with the new lighter Camaro 1LE. Probably saving money too.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Ah thanks all for the insight. In America the bar for advertising accuracy seems low and it seems like if you read the full press release or the supplement it mentions coolers so I Dunno seems like there is blame on both sides.

Limp on the street is still not a common thing

I hope Ford releases a fix at a decent price that's the right thing for the customer.

Last edited:

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I don't know many cars at 57k that are better. The camaro doesn't look or sound as good. Nor does the gt or rousch stangs. Nothing German comes to mind M3 is more, M2 you can't get,Anything amg is more, anything Porsche is more. The only think I can think of is a discounted vette

I'm assuming of course you didn't pay adm which I'm sure a lot of tech owners did
You act as if we are saying the GT350 is a piece of junk. That's not what I at least have ever said. I love my GT350 and I've never driven it.

The issues with heat is an engineering flaw that Ford decided was an acceptable risk. This flaw was corrected it in the very next model year. The engineers should had never let a 526 hp car with a 8250 rpm limit out the door without coolers.

Again Ford marketed an idea and history with this car in many ways and materials that unfortunately a few people where caught up in.
Right now I have a $60k Ford Performance car that doesn't perform as advertised. Sorry we will never agree on this.

But yes you are right I can sell my car. If Ford calculates that my customer satisfaction isn't worth fixing this known issue then yes I will sell my car. And in Germany I stand to make most if not more money back. If that becomes my course of action, then I will NEVER buy another Ford product. I would have lost confidence in Ford.

At $60k there are a lot of choices that out perform the Tech package GT350 on the street and at the track. A Mustang GT will do it at the track in a 30min session. But I would likely go with the new lighter Camaro 1LE. Probably saving money too.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

You realize that many of the comments you are objecting to are replying to people writing posts like the one you just wrote, right?

I'm so sick of explaining myself over and over again. I think you had to have read some of my posts, but you're choosing to ignore them - or whatever.

I really don't want to sell the car. I think it's great. Ford got it very close to completely right. I own 4 Fords right now. It's been a long time since I purchased anything other than a Ford. Maybe you buy pretty much whatever suits your fancy, but I'm not that way. I'm not going back to a Mustang GT. There's no going back after owning a Voodoo. I'm not ready to give up on Ford yet.

I think the value of your car will be fine. And if not - tough. I'm a big time Ford fan and I think I post far more positive things about Fords than anything else. We are just having conversations while we wait for the coolers to arrive from Ford Performance. I'm convinced that FP is working on them and we will have them soon. Then everything will be great. It's just a very long wait.

crazyfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 & '14 GT Track Car
You realize that many of the comments you are objecting to are replying to people writing posts like the one you just wrote, right?

I'm so sick of explaining myself over and over again. I think you had to have read some of my posts, but you're choosing to ignore them - or whatever.

I really don't want to sell the car. I think it's great. Ford got it very close to completely right. I own 4 Fords right now. It's been a long time since I purchased anything other than a Ford. Maybe you buy pretty much whatever suits your fancy, but I'm not that way. I'm not going back to a Mustang GT. There's no going back after owning a Voodoo. I'm not ready to give up on Ford yet.

I think the value of your car will be fine. And if not - tough. I'm a big time Ford fan and I think I post far more positive things about Fords than anything else. We are just having conversations while we wait for the coolers to arrive from Ford Performance. I'm convinced that FP is working on them and we will have them soon. Then everything will be great. It's just a very long wait.
Agreed! My base has been mechanical great with NO limp mode on the track or spirited driving with myself at the helm. But it has hit reduced power or limp mode twice in excessively heavy traffic with little to no air running through the radiator and once with the dealer. So what is with that.

My main gripe has been fit, finish and dealer care of my car. Mechanically has been great so far.

Myself being an engineer and having a fair amount of knowledge of cars I just believe the gt350 is a completely different animal, period.

My car runs hotter and throws off more heat than ANY other car I know of or have been in including Vipers, 871 blower cars and other heat generating vehicles. I just think there is something missing in the equation of the gt350. I do know of (2) track cars that went into limp mode as well as (1) R. 1 of these cars was a personal friend of mine. The fix was a new pcm. Supposedly it would not accept the flash and once changed no more limp mode. This car is tracked. The other 2 cars I saw at audobahn country club GO into limp mode while mine did not. Was it the way they were driving? Pcm? Don't know I travel alot and haven't been home to see or talk to them.

Also another thing is "ALL PEOPLE DON'T POST" The guy with the R was so p offed he said he was going to sell his. I asked him then. He wanted $90k.

I just think alot of this is going to be a case by case instance?

Do I want coolers? Yes. Do I think the coolers should be on the car? Yes. It only makes sense on a mechanical device that generates heat what is the life expectancy? Cool it down a little, more life. Cool it down more and longer, even more life.

I hope Ford addresses some of the gt350 problems on all aspects soon. I think the car is awesome but don't think the supporting dealer network is all up to snuff to handle the caliber of this car. Again hit or miss at dealers as well.
Good luck.
Sponsored