Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

AppoTheApple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT DIB
I can guarantee this has been answered before, but where do people generally feel the vibration? I have 11.8k miles on my car and today I took a 1.5 hour drive and the whole way I felt kind of like a galloping type vibration from my gas pedal. Didn't really matter if I was going 20 or 60 or 80.
Sponsored

Gurjit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium performance pack
I can guarantee this has been answered before, but where do people generally feel the vibration? I have 11.8k miles on my car and today I took a 1.5 hour drive and the whole way I felt kind of like a galloping type vibration from my gas pedal. Didn't really matter if I was going 20 or 60 or 80.

there is a humming/rhythmic vibration in steering wheel and floow and the seats when coasting or on cruise control around 90-96 kms/hr
when under load it stops

was doing it from 80-100km/hr, dealer rotated driveshaft 180* and it helped abit

kh1818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Bought a new 2017 GT last week, bringing it to the dealer today, along with a printout of SSM 45938. Experiencing vibration and a humming noise from 60-80mph, with both the vibration and noise levels increasing once I let off the gas at those speeds. Hopefully they can resolve - otherwise based on what I'm seeing in this thread I will be looking to get my money back if this is truly an unsolvable issue. Kinda sucks the fun out of just purchasing such an otherwise great car.

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Bought a new 2017 GT last week, bringing it to the dealer today, along with a printout of SSM 45938. Experiencing vibration and
Stinks you guys are having trouble. I noticed on my '17 over the weekend that the driveshaft had hand-written runout numbers written on it in 3 different places. It's obviously something they are conscious of. If mine had a vibration, probably the first thing I'd do is get the tires road force balance checked by a shop with a hunter road force machine. In the last 10 years, I've probably had a dozen brand new tires of various brands that were so bad they would fail a road force check, but would balance fine on a traditional balancer machine. My last car (Focus ST) had 3 bad tires from the factory. Dealer would never have found it with their balancer.

kh1818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Stinks you guys are having trouble. I noticed on my '17 over the weekend that the driveshaft had hand-written runout numbers written on it in 3 different places. It's obviously something they are conscious of. If mine had a vibration, probably the first thing I'd do is get the tires road force balance checked by a shop with a hunter road force machine. In the last 10 years, I've probably had a dozen brand new tires of various brands that were so bad they would fail a road force check, but would balance fine on a traditional balancer machine. My last car (Focus ST) had 3 bad tires from the factory. Dealer would never have found it with their balancer.
Appreciate the advice. I am going to ask if the dealer has the hunter road force balancer, especially since the service bulletin I found on page 118 of this thread specifically says to use that machine as part of the troubleshooting. I'll be sure to update how this whole process goes for anyone else still buying new and experiencing these issues. Hopefully Ford is on top of this, given that the car has been out for 3 years now.:doh:

Sponsored

kh1818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
just a fun little update - dealer balanced using the hunter system, vibration is still persistent. Dealer will investigate further on Monday. I'm getting a bad feeling about this to be honest.

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
just a fun little update - dealer balanced using the hunter system, vibration is still persistent. Dealer will investigate further on Monday. I'm getting a bad feeling about this to be honest.
Did they tell you what the road force weights were? Anything over 22-24lbs can be felt if you're sensitive to it. They can set the pass/fail on the machine to whatever they want though, and you may have to go to an actual Pirelli tire dealer to get them replaced for free.

kh1818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Did they tell you what the road force weights were? Anything over 22-24lbs can be felt if you're sensitive to it. They can set the pass/fail on the machine to whatever they want though, and you may have to go to an actual Pirelli tire dealer to get them replaced for free.
They did not actually - I will ask for numbers. Anyway dealer called today informing me that they have ordered a new driveshaft... should be installed in a few days. Crazy a brand new car needs a brand new driveshaft! Just hoping it resolves the issue. Will be sure to update.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
They did not actually - I will ask for numbers. Anyway dealer called today informing me that they have ordered a new driveshaft... should be installed in a few days. Crazy a brand new car needs a brand new driveshaft! Just hoping it resolves the issue. Will be sure to update.
What's crazy is that the new DS probably won't fix it.

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
FWIW, my 2015 EB auto had a slight vibe between 55-70, that is until I installed the Steeda IRS subframe alignment spacers. I would say the vibration is all but completely gone now, and I'm betting the rest will be resolved when my new wheels/tires arrive.

Sponsored

Gurjit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium performance pack

kh1818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I agree, they replaced mine and it made it worse.
I wish you were wrong, but today they replaced the driveshaft, and lo and behold I get a call from them at 5pm saying that the vibration is still persistent. They reached out to Ford Engineering for assistance, waiting on an email back and I should be getting an update tomorrow morning. I have now officially driven my loaner c-max (yuck) longer than my new mustang. This is not looking good, but I will continue to be slightly optimistic that they will figure it out.

Should I be reaching out to anyone at this point (Ford, dealer management, etc) in case this turns into a buy back situation? I am reading up on lemon laws just preemptively. What were the next steps for you all once the driveshaft replacement didn't fix? This sucks.:headbonk:

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
One of the posts in this thread-that-never-ends outlines the specific procedure they are to follow. Page 118 is a good place to start.

Did they balance the new DS after putting it on? Keep in mind that the whole system has to be balanced. In theory, if the DS is balanced by itself, and same for the diff, and same for the trans, then 0+0+0=0, but that's a perfect world.

The same all applies to run-out. Maybe the S650 with have a transaxle. :D Spin the DS at 7000, and thus move the vibration up 100x in frequency.

Some guys go DIY with hose clamp(s), but that is a different ordeal, and has safety implications. Not for the faint of heart.

kh1818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
One of the posts in this thread-that-never-ends outlines the specific procedure they are to follow. Page 118 is a good place to start.

Did they balance the new DS after putting it on? Keep in mind that the whole system has to be balanced. In theory, if the DS is balanced by itself, and same for the diff, and same for the trans, then 0+0+0=0, but that's a perfect world.

The same all applies to run-out. Maybe the S650 with have a transaxle. :D Spin the DS at 7000, and thus move the vibration up 100x in frequency.

Some guys go DIY with hose clamp(s), but that is a different ordeal, and has safety implications. Not for the faint of heart.
Thanks - yea I have read every page of this thread actually haha. I would hope that the dealer would know that it needs to be balanced upon install... Shouldn't need my input for that one. I do not want to go the hose clamp route - I'm gonna keep after the dealer/Ford to make it right. Either way sounds like Ford representatives will be talking to the dealer tomorrow, will be interesting to hear what they have to say.

ABS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Balance

There are several different positions the the DS can be bolted to the pinion flange. It is possible that either the old DS or the new DS would be fine if they were "clocked" properly. Some have found resolution simply by doing this. I spoke to a guy in the local Mustang club here who had a DS installed and he said it vibrated. Then they rotated it a position or two on the flange and it was smooth. The hose clamps worked for me, but that may have simply balanced out a DS-pinion flange issue.
As recently stated, the whole assembly has to be in balance.

Imagine if a tire and wheel were balanced and then the tire was removed and reinstalled. If the tire wasn't reinstalled in exactly the same spot, then the whole assembly would be out of balance. Same idea applies to the DS assembly.
Sponsored