Windshield Tint worth it???

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Anyone got a pic of 70% windshield at night? It’s technically illegal here in Jersey, but so was getting them on my front windows in my old truck, and nothing happened
It’s illegal here in SC as well but…… From the front 70% is virtually invisible. A cop would need a light meter to it to be sure. Unless you got pulled over for something stupid enough to warrant a look see, you’ll be fine.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
And #2, night time visibility is ABSOLUTELY compromised by a small noticeable amount to the point where I would personally not do it again.
I will have to respectfully disagree. I have 70%. My wife no tint at all. No difference at night.

Plus, the windshield tint always costs an arm and a leg because in most states, it's illegal, so the tint shops always charge a ton to do it. And it's super annoying when you get a crack in your windshield and you just spent $500 to have your windshield tinted.
I would agree if your paying $500 for just the windshield. I paid $100 and believe it was worth it.

JoeSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, Manual
It’s illegal here in SC as well but…… From the front 70% is virtually invisible. A cop would need a light meter to it to be sure. Unless you got pulled over for something stupid enough to warrant a look see, you’ll be fine.
Gotcha

should be fine then, 70% all around it is

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
nice ceramic tint, son thinks it isn't dark enough (go figure) I think it is about perfect. somewhere around 25-35% IIRC. I wouldnt hesitate to do it again, it does help with heat.

_nc_ohc=hYiMnd7z9jYAX_OQL1W&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Stanv03

Stanv03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver Mustang GT Premium
Yeah, I may go to 20 but 32 is legal limit here in GA.
I got 20, had it for months, my brother in law had 20 on his mini cooper for like 3 years. He got pulled over for speeding like 3 times but not one word on his tints. And that’s because with the sunlight here in GA it makes 20 look very light. Like you can see someone’s full face with the 20 during sunset. So since they can see your figure they won’t really care . So 20 is not really a problem, but for me it is because I like it when people can’t see in my car, which Is why I want darker

TheWhiteWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 Magnetic Grey
I got 20, had it for months, my brother in law had 20 on his mini cooper for like 3 years. He got pulled over for speeding like 3 times but not one word on his tints. And that’s because with the sunlight here in GA it makes 20 look very light. Like you can see someone’s full face with the 20 during sunset. So since they can see your figure they won’t really care . So 20 is not really a problem, but for me it is because I like it when people can’t see in my car, which Is why I want darker

Good deal :)

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Unless you want a dark tint on your windshield there is a 'clear' ceramic tint option. I have seen a utube video regarding installing clear tint on the entire windshield so I believe it is an option.

https://www.smartfilmaz.com/worth-clear-window-tint/

I haven't looked into this myself but when I get a few minutes I will check with the tint shop down the street regarding this product. I don't want dark windows on the car but I do want the UV/heat reductions provided by them, including the windshield. If the clear ceramic tints are real & affordable they're probably the way I'll go.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Unless you want a dark tint on your windshield there is a 'clear' ceramic tint option. I have seen a utube video regarding installing clear tint on the entire windshield so I believe it is an option.

https://www.smartfilmaz.com/worth-clear-window-tint/

I haven't looked into this myself but when I get a few minutes I will check with the tint shop down the street regarding this product. I don't want dark windows on the car but I do want the UV/heat reductions provided by them, including the windshield. If the clear ceramic tints are real & affordable they're probably the way I'll go.
Xpel makes an 80% ceramic tint as well.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Oh to be 19 and stupid again. No disrespect intended as I was a stupid 19 year old myself (51 years ago). There are two reasons for tint. Looks and solar protection. For the latter the percentage doesn't matter. For the former, well it's up to you how much risk you're willing to take. Georgia State troopers can be a pain in the ass (ask me how i know). Do you really want to give them a reason to ticket you? From an old mans point of view, be smart and stay within the law. Your pocketbook will thank you.

By the way if have dark tint on your windshield and you get into an accident at night you will be royally screwed. When the insurance company finds the tint they will refuse all claims.
Dark window tint does not change PCF in a collision and it cannot be used to deny a payout on an insurance claim.
Well, here in Ontario where we are all "no fault" insurance, if the vehicle appraiser sees tint on the windshield, it's grounds for denying the claim. Seriously, I bet almost all insurance companies are looking for ways to deny a claim. Why give them the ammo for it?

Illegal is illegal... Kind of like the stupid drunk driver that gets t-boned by someone running a red light. Sure, the accident wasn't the drunk driver's fault, but they're kind of screwed...

YMMV in your individual states...

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
So many internet lawyers in here it’s amazing!

Have you looked into medical exemptions? I’m in Florida and have a medical exemption for front tint which was signed off by FLDOT. I have 45% on the windshield and 15 on the sides and back. Plenty dark enough but I can still see well at night.

If you suffer migraines or light sensitivity you might be able to apply for an exemption.
4B9A4BD6-5FD1-4243-86C2-A3DB65C8873E.jpeg

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
Here's my F150 when I still had it - 5% all the way around & brow, 35% on the windshield. Made it incredibly hard to see in. Seeing out the windshield wasn't that big of an issue imo.
truck.jpg

truck 1.jpg

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I have 50% on my Daily driver's windshield. 20% on the front doors, it's a Crossover. I didn't do any tint on my Mustang windshield though, mainly because I don't daily drive it and it's not a huge deal. The heat rejection is nice though, mainly why I went that way.

DandeeLioness

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dandee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
I’m in Georgia too. I bought my current Civic from a local dealer that picked it up from Florida. It came to me with 20% tint on everything but the windshield and I’ve LOVED both the privacy and heat reduction. Never had an issue with the cops. 🤞

However — I’m thinking I’ll likely go the 30%-32% route for my Mustang windows and back windshield, as Georgia has a “within 3%” variance rule as well so they likely wouldn’t bother ticketing me if I’m close enough (and I’m preeetty sure my GB Mustang will draw more attention than my civic so it’s probably best to play it safe lol).

My only issue with the 20% tint I have now is making turns at night on dark, unlit Georgia roads and on-ramps. More often than not I have to roll down the window a bit so I can confirm lines and medians.

As for the windshield, I like the idea of the (illegal) 70% but that’s a valid point about windshield cracks and things. For the time being, my go-to solution for 100% privacy and sun block through the windshield is a good ol crusty screen I set up lol it does the job when parked but gets hot while driving for sure!

JDM_WAAAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1 HP 6MT EGM, 2016 Focus ST
So if I were to play safer but not fully safe how Would 70 windshield and get 15 all around would look. Or should I go for 5 percent . Yes I am young so which is why I like the privacy. I don’t like people stare at me. Or because I do construction sometimes I have to park in sketch places I don’t want people looking into my car. So either 50 windshield and keep my 20 all around or 70 windshield and bring my windows down to 15 or 5.
Do not tint your windshield. Most people will not be able to see in as the rest of the car will be tinted (darker inside, brighter outside = can't see in as well) and it's not legal to do so. Plus, you drive forwards, not sideways or reverse - do not inhibit your forward visibility.
Sponsored