Windshield Tint worth it???

JDM_WAAAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1 HP 6MT EGM, 2016 Focus ST
Anyone got a pic of 70% windshield at night? It’s technically illegal here in Jersey, but so was getting them on my front windows in my old truck, and nothing happened
Do not stray from the law in NJ. You will get raked over the coals with fixit tickets.
Sponsored

JDM_WAAAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1 HP 6MT EGM, 2016 Focus ST
I will have to respectfully disagree. I have 70%. My wife no tint at all. No difference at night.

I would agree if your paying $500 for just the windshield. I paid $100 and believe it was worth it.
I would say there's about a 30% difference between 70% and no tint. Arguing otherwise is asinine.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Do not stray from the law in NJ. You will get raked over the coals with fixit tickets.
I’m from NJ (Northern & Central). So long as your not running with 5% tint and do something truly stupid, 70% on the windshield will not be a problem.

Tawse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Vehicle(s)
2022 GB GT/CS
My 0.02. On my 07, I had them set to the legal limit and during the 10 years of ownership I was pulled over 2 times specifically because they thought I was over limit.

Why is this relevant? I'm in Gwinnett County GA. And you seem as though you know GA as well as I do. I enjoy watching them swallow their tongues when they see I am in fact at the legal spec.

Did it happen often? Nope, but I also didn't showboat at all and they still pulled me over to check the tint.

Tawse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Vehicle(s)
2022 GB GT/CS
Let's add a little more to the conversation. See below for an article regarding tint and Ga Law but ultimately you have one key question:

Do you have the money to pay for any tickets you may get by having it at an illegal shade? If so - party on, if not... do your stress levels a favor and set it to legal limit.

You can have a few follow-up questions: Do you ever do anything remotely sketchy? Are you a minority? do you live in a place with notorious cops? If any of those are yes - you may want to avoid an illegal tint.

1665094662511.png

Sponsored

OP
OP
Stanv03

Stanv03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver Mustang GT Premium
My 0.02. On my 07, I had them set to the legal limit and during the 10 years of ownership I was pulled over 2 times specifically because they thought I was over limit.

Why is this relevant? I'm in Gwinnett County GA. And you seem as though you know GA as well as I do. I enjoy watching them swallow their tongues when they see I am in fact at the legal spec.

Did it happen often? Nope, but I also didn't showboat at all and they still pulled me over to check the tint.
I live in Cobb county, but Gwinnett county Cops aren’t really the nicest but I’d waist to see their reaction when getting proved wrong! XD. GA state patrol are the real stuck ups

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
I have the front tinted in all my cars… but the tint is basically clear, you will never notice it. But the film filters the uv light and reduce glare… it helps keeping the car less hot in this fucking eternal Florida heat

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Well, here in Ontario where we are all "no fault" insurance, if the vehicle appraiser sees tint on the windshield, it's grounds for denying the claim. Seriously, I bet almost all insurance companies are looking for ways to deny a claim. Why give them the ammo for it?

Illegal is illegal... Kind of like the stupid drunk driver that gets t-boned by someone running a red light. Sure, the accident wasn't the drunk driver's fault, but they're kind of screwed...

YMMV in your individual states...
I’ve investigated traffic collisions (in the US) for five years and not a single time, in my career, ever, have I seen window tint even so much as mentioned on, near, around, or even at all on a traffic collision investigation. Not on mine or any others, and never has it once been cited as the PCF for the collision. But apparently I don’t know what I’m talking about so I guess I have to go undo five years of traffic collisions…

Sorry @Torinate just over other people acting like they understand traffic collisions for no reason.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Love the 20% all around and 35% on the windshield.

Was pulled over for exhaust and the cop slapped a tint ticket on top but did me a solid and just gave me fix it tickets, I think where I live there is a moving violation ticket for front windshield tint that you can’t just fix to make go away.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Someone asked earlier about pictures, in the night. Attached are photos inside the garage, early AM with very little lighting. Windshield has 70% tint. Sides and back are 30%.

1. outside, no flash, no lights.
2. outside, flash.
3. inside, no flash, no lights.
4. inside, flash.
5. inside, headlights only.
6. outside, headlights only.

skye windshield 001.jpg

skye windshield 002.jpg

skye windshield 003.jpg

skye windshield 004.jpg

skye windshield 005.jpg

skye windshield 006.jpg

Sponsored

VooDeeZy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Every car I've owned has gotten 50% on windshield and 20% all around. I have a medical exemption card in nj. I will say I haven't been pulled over for tints since early 20's driving Subaru STI's. In my experience the more expensive, higher end cars are much less likely to be pulled over because of tints. Really doubt something like a gt500 or say an s class Mercedes is going to be targeted.

Anyways here's my mach 1 tinted.
CFECA2B2-8CDF-44E3-8D15-4D17F8040A16.jpeg

AB481826-AF54-4D3E-BC0A-F5681ECCBECA.jpeg

scurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
I live in PA and I asked a state trooper 2 questions:
1. Is it illegal to have my cell phone mounted on my windshield?
Answer: No, if you are using your phone for navigation.
2. Is ANY window tinting illegal?
Answer: If I can't see you inside your car I will ticket you. Tint your windows carefully.

rhexis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Audi S4, 2020 Mustang GT
I live in PA and I asked a state trooper 2 questions:
1. Is it illegal to have my cell phone mounted on my windshield?
Answer: No, if you are using your phone for navigation.
2. Is ANY window tinting illegal?
Answer: If I can't see you inside your car I will ticket you. Tint your windows carefully.
in pa as it was explained to me any tint even clear on the front windshield will not pass inspection. you will either have to take it off each year or find someone willing to pass you. this is why i have always not tinted the front. sides and rear i tint 35% which to me looks nice but not cheesy like the 5% stuff.

Steviefingers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD OR, 1996 240sx, 2022 Mustang GT
20% sides and rear and 50% on the windshield. Honestly can’t even tell it’s there during the day and hardly noticeable at night. With the better headlight light output of these newer cars, visibility at night is not a problem.
3FD4CFA6-F7EA-47CA-A44F-2AA139E309A1.jpeg

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP

I think this is the case most everywhere.
I'm sure a traffic cop cruising around can get boring. and on a day it isn't cold or raining, pulling the guy over for tint, helps pass the day, as 9 times out of 10, they already run the plate and have an idea if you are a risk or not.
I got pulled over a few months ago in another fun vehicle, one tag light was working but bad ground so not bright. We talked for over a hour and a half, he was basicly bored and my failing light was a way to pass the time, the 90 minute talking was I'm sure just icing on the cake.
Sponsored