Sponsored

Why did you get a manual

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
Ford says 50 percent of current Mustang GT buyers and 20 percent of Mustang EcoBoost buyers choose the six-speed manual.
At the end of my lease, I was originally planning on going into another EB 6MT for 2020.
I found it almost impossible to find:

EB Premium with 6MT and safe and smart.
I gave up on safe and smart and tried to find an EB premium 6MT without any packages, and the only ones I could find are HPP vehicles. Almost all of the EB that I found through Ford's Mustang finder had A10.

I was initially thinking that perhaps the problem with MT82 and people complaining was making Ford nudge dealers to order A10 EB Cars. But then as someone pointed out, MT82's don't seem to have much trouble (other than nibbling, which always makes me cringe but apparently doesn't do any real damage??) on EB's.

I guess another thing is that Ford wants to inflate the number of people that "want" the A10, by nudging dealers to order A10 cars? I guess it could justify whoever (whichever exec) is responsible for greenlighting the A10? I mean I can't see this not happening in a corporate world.

I always found it funny that many dealers (of all makes and models) told me that white and black cars are the most popular colors that people choose. But then they tell me this because I ask them why they only seem to have whites and blacks and very little of any other colors of many different makes and models)

So which came first? Dealers ordering majority white/black cars, and since customers buy them, it looks like customers prefer the white/blacks, or did customers actually prefer white/black cars, so dealers are only ordering those?

Likewise, I am skeptical about the data on the manual vs auto on mustangs. I look for manual EB's and it has always been hard to find one in my area (in '15 and '17). The dealers always told me that everyone wants automatic EB mustangs. But then I see automatic (A6 or A10) just sitting in dealer lots whereas whenever I find a 6MT, it would disappear so quickly off their inventory that I have to try to pull the trigger as fast as I could. I wonder what the take would be if dealers ACTUALLY had equal numbers of 6MT and A10 cars in their lots all the time (or even have 6MT EB's in their inventory at all).
Sponsored

Last edited:

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I got a manual for the heck of it. I loved the Need for Green color and it was left over on the lot from '19 in Jan. 20 so they discounted it pretty good. I have driven a manual for most of my life with the exception of the past 14 years or so, so it wasn't a contemplation really. Honestly, it's kind of fun having a manual again after all these years. Added bonus no one is gonna ask to drive it or steal it...

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
At the end of my lease, I was originally planning on going into another EB 6MT for 2020.
I found it almost impossible to find:

EB Premium with 6MT and safe and smart.
I gave up on safe and smart and tried to find an EB premium 6MT without any packages, and the only ones I could find are HPP vehicles. Almost all of the EB that I found through Ford's Mustang finder had A10.

I was initially thinking that perhaps the problem with M82 and people complaining was making Ford nudge dealers to order A10 EB Cars. But then as someone pointed out, M82's don't seem to have much trouble (other than nibbling) on EB's.

I guess another thing is that Ford wants to inflate the number of people that "want" the A10, by nudging dealers to order A10 cars?

I always found it funny that many dealers (of all makes and models) told me that white and black cars are the most popular colors that people choose. But then they tell me this because I ask them why they only seem to have whites and blacks and very little of any other colors.

So which came first? Dealers ordering majority white/black cars, and since customers buy them, it looks like customers prefer the white/blacks, or did customers actually prefer white/black cars, so dealers are only ordering those?

Likewise, I am skeptical about the data on the manual vs auto on mustangs. I look for manual EB's and it has always been hard to find one in my area (in '15 and '17). The dealers always told me that everyone wants automatic EB mustangs. But then I see automatic (A6 or A10) just sitting in dealer lots whereas whenever I found 6MT, it would disappear so quickly off their inventory that I have to try to pull the trigger as fast as I could. I wonder what the take would be if dealers ACTUALLY had equal numbers of 6MT and A10 cars in their lots all the time (or even have 6MT EB's in their inventory).
Yeah, here too I haven't seen many manual Mustangs on lots, excluding the manual only ones like the Bullitt or the GT350. My white one was the only 2020 for sale in the state at the time that had a stick shift, the next closest one was in Las Vegas. Lol.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Yeah, here too I haven't seen many manual Mustangs on lots, excluding the manual only ones like the Bullitt or the GT350. My white one was the only 2020 for sale in the state at the time that had a stick shift, the next closest one was in Las Vegas. Lol.
Its pretty wild. There are actually 3 pp1 manual brand new ones at a small ford dealer near me. Not many nearby otherwise.

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
Its pretty wild. There are actually 3 pp1 manual brand new ones at a small ford dealer near me. Not many nearby otherwise.
GT? I find that some dealers will be open to getting a 6MT GT or two(when I couldn't find a EB 6MT w/o HPP, started to think about financing a GT prem 6MT) but also, the two that I found were PP2, and as much as I would have loved a PP2, it was beyond my budget.

It seems like any dealers ordering mustangs thinks 6MT should be paired with only really performance spec'd cars, like EB HPP or GT PP2. But like I said, if the one dealer gets an EB Prem 6MT or Badic Prem with 6MT, it stays in their inventory for only a few days.

I really don't understand it as from dealer perspective it is clear that manual mustangs do move fairly quickly (or even faster) off their lots than autos, and being that 6MT's are so hard to find, they'd have a better leverage for selling closer to MSRP.

Unless it's supply issue? If the MT82's are Chinese made, were they not being imported due to corona and/or tax issues?

I had a hard time looking for my '15 EB in MT, harder time with my '17, and I had to give up searching for '20, and ended up with used '19 (which I am extremely happy with).

Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
GT? I find that some dealers will be open to getting a 6MT GT or two(when I couldn't find a EB 6MT w/o HPP, started to think about financing a GT prem 6MT) but also, the two that I found were PP2, and as much as I would have loved a PP2, it was beyond my budget.

It seems like any dealers ordering mustangs thinks 6MT should be paired with only really performance spec'd cars, like EB HPP or GT PP2. But like I said, if the one dealer gets an EB Prem 6MT or Badic Prem with 6MT, it stays in their inventory for only a few days.

I really don't understand it as from dealer perspective it is clear that manual mustangs do move fairly quickly (or even faster) off their lots than autos, and being that 6MT's are so hard to find, they'd have a better leverage for selling closer to MSRP.

Unless it's supply issue? If the MT82's are Chinese made, were they not being imported due to corona and/or tax issues?

I had a hard time looking for my '15 EB in MT, harder time with my '17, and I had to give up searching for '20, and ended up with used '19 (which I am extremely happy with).
Yeah, 3 gt. All almost fully loaded. 1 manual ecoboost hpp too. Then like 4 other ecoboost that idk what they have lol.

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
My other car is a
Hey Guys

I want to get a GT and can't decide if I should get a manual. I have never driven a manual car but getting a GT without a manual seems be just wrong, just wrong I say. Sad thing is that the wife can drive stick, I guess I could let her teach me, oh the embarrassment.

I'm guessing with 400 pounds of torque it can be that hard to learn.
First, I feel more connected to a car shifting myself. Second, my other car is a 2018 718 GTS and the PDK ruined any other auto transmission for me. The A10 has too many gears and seemed lost as to what gear it wanted most of the time when not WOT. Sure the A10 is quicker 0 to 60, but wasn't fun to drive around town...

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
There were only 3 manual HPP's in CA when I bought mine. I looked at two of them. The other was several hours away.

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
Had to order my HPP with the six speed. Which was fantastic since I got exactly what I wanted and didn’t have to settle for what some assistant manager thought would sell.

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Nowadays not so much. The manuals have like a "creep mode" from red lights and also have a "hill hold" mode that keeps it still when on an incline, so clutch modulation is minimal when doing those tasks nowadays.
No such thing as "creep mode". That's just idle with torque. As you add load to the idling engine and it drops below what it considers "idle rpm" it opens the throttle body a bit and adds some fuel to get back up there.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The Porsche 7 speed is basically a highly modified PDK.
Yep; it's just a manual PDK indeed. Feels weird; at least it did to me. Unfortunately, the real 6-sp trannies only go on GT cars (GT3, etc), which are not for me anymore. I need more of a GT car, meaning a GTS at the most, but they're still equipped with the 7-sp, and too much money for what they are. I already bought a new one, and no more. I'm happy with the Bullitt, for a fraction of the price :).

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
No such thing as "creep mode". That's just idle with torque. As you add load to the idling engine and it drops below what it considers "idle rpm" it opens the throttle body a bit and adds some fuel to get back up there.
That's just what I've seen people call it man. My last manuals didn't have any features like that. You get the point of what was being said, the name isn't as important.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Everything's got to be a "mode" these days :thumbsdown:

I knew this as the "stall saver" back when I was tinkering with an Accel/DFI EFI system.

Norm
Sponsored