Sponsored

Who else is Manual or Bust?

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
I wouldn't say never, but if I had the choice I would take a manual. I think I would buy a manual GT350R over the GT500.
That said, as was stated before if I was racing I would say take the DTC, HPDE manual because I am trying to be better always as a driver and shifting would be part of that. I mean if you could buy a self driving Tesla to the track and put it in auto mode and just sat there would it be driving if it was faster than you?
Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Next Mustang will have Alexa ~ "Mustang, select Drive"
Eventually, we all will wear helmets and just look the direction we want to go and it will be done.

Biggdogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
For me, I dont know if it is an indictment of the car, or the transmission, but the way I look at this situation is this. I ordered my 350 sight unseen without ever having driven one because I just knew it would live up to the hype and be exactly what I hoped and wanted so I didnt mind flying blind. I would under no circumstance buy a 500 without having driven it first. I think the 500 is looking quite good, but I am not as willing to go in blind on it. I dont know if its the car or the transmission, but that is the big difference for me.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
In 1.5-3.5 years, I will probably get a new car (I drive mine around 10 years or and selling them when they start costing me about a car payment a month in repair bills)
I am looking at the Mustang GT and maybe modding it, a Lincoln "Mark" if they base it on the Mustang and sell it, the CTS V, or a GT500 or whatever else they are making at the time. I have sworn off BMW, so no M3)

I would not have bought a GT350 because it was manual only. I am okay with manuals and have driven many of them, but I am wanting something a bit more sophisticated. The DCT would be that.

However, it all depends on their drive-ability as well. If it's pretty much track/course only, no thank you. If it's also something that can so something around town as well (during the good months of the year), then yes, I am interested.

It's ok for you not to like it and look elsewhere. The fact that it DOES have a DCT...even if it was only an option, is what makes me look at it. Attracting new buyers is a good thing.

Sponsored

RogueCow27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I think the only effect the non-manual choice is going to have on sales is less pre-orders, followed by insane dealer markup once everyone gets a chance to see how much better the DCT is than a manual and all of the cars are sold

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I think the car is very cool, I know the DCT can shift faster and better than I can a Manual.
But I still want the feel and experience of being connected to the car. I take my car to the track
a few times of year and have to shift and get it right is a great part of the experience.
When out for a drive on a country road, dropping a gear and giving it is part of the fun.
there will always be bigger better and faster, but I suspect MY GT350R will be just as good on most tracks.
Lighter is a big factor, can't wait to find out. But I won't be parting with my car for this one.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
There were many cars that way. It was a 60's thing. They thought it was modern to have push button on most anything, including appliances.
That's almost certainly some ChryCo car, I think from the early 1960's because of the 'Park' lever. The 1964 Dodge that my Dad bought (and I subsequently got from him) had very similar-looking buttons oriented vertically, as was the 'Park' gate. IIRC, moving the Park lever (hopefully when stopped) also popped out whatever button had been engaged and pulled the 'Neutral' button in. Seems odd in hindsight that you would have been "shifting" using your left hand. In a left-hand drive car.

Norm

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
That's almost certainly some ChryCo car, I think from the early 1960's because of the 'Park' lever. The 1964 Dodge that my Dad bought (and I subsequently got from him) had very similar-looking buttons oriented vertically, as was the 'Park' gate. IIRC, moving the Park lever (hopefully when stopped) also popped out whatever button had been engaged and pulled the 'Neutral' button in. Seems odd in hindsight that you would have been "shifting" using your left hand. In a left-hand drive car.

Norm
It is,, most of them were. I was thinking maybe some others did but not too many. At least I know the decision to buy the 2020 GT500 or not was made for me by Ford.

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
Generally it is manual or bust for me but I won't mind having a DCT GT500 next to my manual GT350 in my garage.

Sponsored

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Not even one bit mad at Ford's decision. I applaud them. Having owned some very high end DCT equipped cars, that see regular track time, I'm happy.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Not even one bit mad at Ford's decision. I applaud them. Having owned some very high end DCT equipped cars, that see regular track time, I'm happy.
On a road course is where a DCT is at its best, no?

Norm

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
For every " No Manual No Money" person there is, that is an actual prospective buyer, the better. 1 less person i have to compete with.
the problem is that for every actual 3-peddler NOT buying it because of DCT, we now have 3 new prospective buyers. and I say that based on the fact that current DCT performance cars, are already in the 500's price bracket, so they know its awesome, and can actually afford it, and a large portion ony lease their current DCT equipped cars, so turn-ins are going to be high

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
... the fact that current DCT performance cars, are already in the 500's price bracket, so they know its awesome, and can actually afford it, and a large portion ony lease their current DCT equipped cars, so turn-ins are going to be high
Sorry, choosing something because it's popular with others isn't a very good reason for doing most anything. Never mind how rich or poor they might be (perhaps it's worse to look at the rich end, where after the lease runs out it's off to the next new thing).

"Awesome" is very much an individual subjective view.

Norm

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
On a road course is where a DCT is at its best, no?

Norm
Norm, in my experience owning a lot of high end DCT equipped cars, that I take on the drag strip, and road course regularly. I feel the DCT is the best choice period for a performance road car, which is what the GT500 is. It's not a tin can shell, with a roll cage, purpose built car. There is no better transmission choice period. The reason why cars like the GTR are such drag strip monsters, is the lightning quick shifts from the transmission, combined with very intelligent transmission control.

When I was taking classes, getting ready for super trofeo, my instructors always said this about DCT's. "The DCT will make an average driver, look amazing, in lap time reduction" It's the same thing with the drag strip. You can launch like an auto, and never miss a gear.

Do I still like to take some spirited back road driving, and row the gears? Sure, but in a car that suits that. I also love doing the same by flipping the paddles. I say, get some actual seat time in a DCT car on both drag, and road course.
Sponsored