Sponsored

What jack and stands do you use?

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I've never done any work under my car before or anything that required me to jack it up (just stuff like cold air kits, etc.), so I don't own a jack or stands. What does everyone here use, and is there much difference in what's available out there? I have a slight phobia about working under the car, so obviously, safety is paramount. I'm tired of taking my car places to get stuff done because I'm picky and figure if you want it done right, do it yourself.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored

Jeepwx03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang, 15 Mustang GT PP, 13 F150 FX4
I use a harbor freight aluminum race jack and I have some of their 3 ton and 6 ton stands. I know they are not the best quality but they get the job done. If you did this type of work as a profession I would not suggest it, but I use them about once a month to once a quarter, no issues so far

OP
OP

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Thanks for the help! How much difference does the weight rating on the jack stands make? Is higher always better? Is there any reason NOT to get as high as possible (within a reasonable cost)? Thanks again!

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP

Sponsored

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
Thanks for the help! How much difference does the weight rating on the jack stands make? Is higher always better? Is there any reason NOT to get as high as possible (within a reasonable cost)? Thanks again!
Higher rated is better. The issue is that higher rated jack stands are usually taller so you have to jack the car up further to get them under. This becomes a problem with cars that sit lower to start with.

You also need to watch the ratings because most jack stands are rated as a pair. A few companies rate them individually. If it isn't clear assume the rating is for a pair.

H1 GT

Crew Chief
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
15 4C, 97 H1

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
Don't skimp on a jack. The hydraulics on a nice old Craftsman jack from the early 80's gave up on me, so I bought a HF jack thinking there couldn't be much difference. I found the hydraulics while lowering to be a problem...it was like a switch...twist, twist, twist, then the car would practically fall. Always scared me and wasn't predictable...couldn't 'feel' it.

I like Arcans for the price...I have this one:
http://m.northerntool.com/shop/tool...i_sku=149201&gclid=CNqYt5-UsMQCFQGoaQodAXoAMg

...but if I had it to do again, I'd get the one my Dad has...
http://m.northerntool.com/shop/tool...ci_sku=24992&gclid=CJWTtYKVsMQCFYY9aQodBiwA8g

Had my old Mustang transported across the country and the semi driver complained about how low it was...said he'd never had as many problems w/ 911s and Lotuses ...Dad's jack rolls right under it w/o having to drive onto boards or anything.

That said, I have no issues using HF stands.

soon2be

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
soon ecoboostPP
I've never done any work under my car before or anything that required me to jack it up (just stuff like cold air kits, etc.), so I don't own a jack or stands. What does everyone here use, and is there much difference in what's available out there? I have a slight phobia about working under the car, so obviously, safety is paramount. I'm tired of taking my car places to get stuff done because I'm picky and figure if you want it done right, do it yourself.

Thanks in advance for the help!
I know exactly what you mean. I am also in the same situation.

I was looking at this craftsman kit http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-3-ton-floor-jack-stands-and/p-00950188000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1 kit.

But after reading this thread i am starting to second guess myself...anyone have experience with this set?

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
Craftsman 3 ton! I have to drive onto 2''x10'' boards beforehand to clear though!

Sponsored

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium

Anthony

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can't respond
I use home made wood wheel blocks. I also have 5-6 sets of different alum and steel stands

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
How low? I have a low profile jack:

And it doesn't even fit under my car, I have to drive up on a few boards first. Gonna get another lower profile jack soon.
I am not sure how low exactly. But the jack worked under a Viper.

xfyre101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`15 CO PP GT
Don't skimp on a jack. The hydraulics on a nice old Craftsman jack from the early 80's gave up on me, so I bought a HF jack thinking there couldn't be much difference. I found the hydraulics while lowering to be a problem...it was like a switch...twist, twist, twist, then the car would practically fall. Always scared me and wasn't predictable...couldn't 'feel' it.

I like Arcans for the price...I have this one:
http://m.northerntool.com/shop/tool...i_sku=149201&gclid=CNqYt5-UsMQCFQGoaQodAXoAMg

...but if I had it to do again, I'd get the one my Dad has...
http://m.northerntool.com/shop/tool...ci_sku=24992&gclid=CJWTtYKVsMQCFYY9aQodBiwA8g

Had my old Mustang transported across the country and the semi driver complained about how low it was...said he'd never had as many problems w/ 911s and Lotuses ...Dad's jack rolls right under it w/o having to drive onto boards or anything.

That said, I have no issues using HF stands.
is it just me? those links don't go to anything in perticular, just home page.
Sponsored