Sponsored

Transmission Problem: Heads Up!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
hmm 7.5ft/lb is a quite lower than I reckoned on. Would explain the need to use locktite.
Sponsored

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
hmm 7.5ft/lb is a quite lower than I reckoned on. Would explain the need to use locktite.
There was no mention of thread locker in the manual.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
My opinion is this bolt doesn't really carry a load, definately not a substantial load and the torque setting would back that up. I think it was just overtighten or undertighten (doesnt explain the appeared stripped threads) and just worked its way out. While it doesnt say to locktite, i a firm believer in using thread locker on almost everything, the gentle stuff....

gfcobra04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 94 Lightning, 2020 GT500
Here's a funny, Earl. I went out a short while ago to put the car on the lift to check those bolts and some other tasks only to discover that the battery was dead. Yep, left the ACC on like a dummy yesterday while testing out Surround. :-)

So, she's charging and I'll check 'em tamarra.
You need too get a battery tender or equivalent. If that was plugged in the battery wouldnā€™t have died. I did something similar and had my battery tender connected and the battery didnā€™t loose all itā€™s power.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I put her up on jacks again today. My bolts were snug. I used a torque wrench set for 89 lb/in and not one of them moved. I placed a couple of witness marks so that I can check on it from time to time. I did notice another problem with my car though..... There is zero strain relief on the right O2 sensor harness. There is no way to get the slack from anywhere else without removing the supports for the harness. Its proximity to the exhaust made me just say F it. I put the heat shield back on and I will make a note of the issue in case there is a problem down the road.

Sponsored

Snakebite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Thanks for sharing, John. I will be heading out to the garage to inspect that connection.

Looks like you have 3 more road miles than I do!

1604529042718.png
1604528954581.png

OP
OP
Big John

Big John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP
Thanks for sharing, John. I will be heading out to the garage to inspect that connection.

Looks like you have 3 more road miles than I do!

1604529042718.png
1604528954581.png
Awesome, I bet you pass 50 before mine rolls again.

Just interviewed the dealer in town recommended by a Ford rep.... itā€™s a HARD pass!!! Arrogant, unaccommodating, and disinterested in taking proper care of my car.

Hoping the dealer just outside of town pans out. Otherwise, I am taking a road trip back to Arkansas.

OP
OP
Big John

Big John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP
I put her up on jacks again today. My bolts were snug. I used a torque wrench set for 89 lb/in and not one of them moved. I placed a couple of witness marks so that I can check on it from time to time. I did notice another problem with my car though..... There is zero strain relief on the right O2 sensor harness. There is no way to get the slack from anywhere else without removing the supports for the harness. Its proximity to the exhaust made me just say F it. I put the heat shield back on and I will make a note of the issue in case there is a problem down the road.
Glad to hear your car passed inspection. Itā€™s about time you catch a break.

kstand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP

Just interviewed the dealer in town recommended by a Ford rep.... itā€™s a HARD pass!!! Arrogant, unaccommodating, and disinterested in taking proper care of my car.

Hoping the dealer just outside of town pans out. Otherwise, I am taking a road trip back to Arkansas.
If you come into town and need anything, let me know.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I used a torque wrench set for 89 lb/in and not one of them moved. I placed a couple of witness marks so that I can check on it from time to time.
You could check breakaway torque on a fastener with cured threadlocker but you can't really verify that it is torqued to a given spec. For example, you could slather a fastener with threadlocker and then gently thread it in by hand, stopping short of it being properly torqued, let the threadlocker cure, and then check it with a torque wrench. The fastener wouldn't have the proper amount of stretch but using a torque wrench the way you did might make you think all is well. I had this hammered into my head by the old timers when I worked as a millwright at hydro and coal fired generation plants during shutdowns.

Witness marks are good practice, always good to see when somebody cares enough to do it. Tells me they inspect things that are important to both safety and performance.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
You could check breakaway torque on a fastener with cured threadlocker but you can't really verify that it is torqued to a given spec. For example, you could slather a fastener with threadlocker and then gently thread it in by hand, stopping short of it being properly torqued, let the threadlocker cure, and then check it with a torque wrench. The fastener wouldn't have the proper amount of stretch but using a torque wrench the way you did might make you think all is well. I had this hammered into my head by the old timers when I worked as a millwright at hydro and coal fired generation plants during shutdowns.

Witness marks are good practice, always good to see when somebody cares enough to do it. Tells me they inspect things that are important to both safety and performance.
I agree. Like I said, I want my tech to remove the fasteners and reapply them under my supervision and have it on record. For now, I am comfortable with the fasteners as they are.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7

This is shocking and disheartening. Once they have your money :lipssealed:
Sponsored