Ticking noise gt350

JL3W1S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 full BMR handling upgrades, xpipe, MGW
It’s a very light tapping sound. At first I thought my right front tire had a rock or screw in the tread. It’s most pronounced when going slowly just due to lack of other noises. It seams to follow tire revolution, but I looked everywhere that I could see without using a lift. Found nothing at all no marks or evidence of any problem anywhere. No rocks stuck anywhere nothing in the calipers. No marks on them from anything scraping. I can’t feel anything wrong with the car through pedals or steering or any other indication of a problem. Just a tapping noise on the passenger side just below the radio (rt side trans tunnel) it’s not the ac unit I turned off absolutely everything and tried all drive modes nothing changes or worsens the noise. I thought maybe some road debris could have gotten wrapped around something. I’m pretty sure nobody secretly long-zip tied my driveshaft but I swear that’s about what it would sound like but this is further forward. I recorded the sound driving in parking lot and on the road. Clutch engaged or disengaged or different gears makes no difference, steering makes no difference. Frequency is directionally proportional to mph / wheel speed. I drove it fairly hard at different speeds used brakes and steering at various pressures/ angles. It seemed to have gone away but for Awhile but once I quieted down everything else on the car it was still there. It’s very faint. I can upload clips here if supported. I don’t post here much. The dealerships are all booked out because of Covid. It doesn’t seem serious but I’m wondering if anyone else has encountered the same thing and if so what it was.
I am curious where the Speedo readout is sensed and how, if that could be the source of noise (Speedo works perfectly, everything on the car works perfectly)

at about 45mph+ you can’t hear it because road noise takes over and by tat time it’s spinning so fast that it just sounds like a slight buzz or vibration as if looseness from the dash area like most mustangs have just odd rattles. But this is definitely a tick tick tick sound that follows speed. At 3mph it’s probably 2 times per second or so.
Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
It’s a very light tapping sound. At first I thought my right front tire had a rock or screw in the tread. It’s most pronounced when going slowly just due to lack of other noises. It seams to follow tire revolution, but I looked everywhere that I could see without using a lift. Found nothing at all no marks or evidence of any problem anywhere. No rocks stuck anywhere nothing in the calipers. No marks on them from anything scraping. I can’t feel anything wrong with the car through pedals or steering or any other indication of a problem. Just a tapping noise on the passenger side just below the radio (rt side trans tunnel) it’s not the ac unit I turned off absolutely everything and tried all drive modes nothing changes or worsens the noise. I thought maybe some road debris could have gotten wrapped around something. I’m pretty sure nobody secretly long-zip tied my driveshaft but I swear that’s about what it would sound like but this is further forward. I recorded the sound driving in parking lot and on the road. Clutch engaged or disengaged or different gears makes no difference, steering makes no difference. Frequency is directionally proportional to mph / wheel speed. I drove it fairly hard at different speeds used brakes and steering at various pressures/ angles. It seemed to have gone away but for Awhile but once I quieted down everything else on the car it was still there. It’s very faint. I can upload clips here if supported. I don’t post here much. The dealerships are all booked out because of Covid. It doesn’t seem serious but I’m wondering if anyone else has encountered the same thing and if so what it was.
I am curious where the Speedo readout is sensed and how, if that could be the source of noise (Speedo works perfectly, everything on the car works perfectly)

at about 45mph+ you can’t hear it because road noise takes over and by tat time it’s spinning so fast that it just sounds like a slight buzz or vibration as if looseness from the dash area like most mustangs have just odd rattles. But this is definitely a tick tick tick sound that follows speed. At 3mph it’s probably 2 times per second or so.
Man…. That sure has all the telltale signs of something being in the tire. I had a similar issue once, but I was lucky to have quickly found the small black piece of metal wedged into the tread (removing it solved my noise.)

If I were you I’d swap front and rear tires right to left to see if the noise follows. While the wheels are off, inspect the barrel of the rims. It seems extremely unlikely something is stuck inside the barrel and hitting the caliper every revolution…. But I suppose a wheel weight could be hanging by a thread, or maybe a sticker is on the inside of the barrel and is peeling off… who knows.

That’s where I’d start. Goodluck!

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
Just something to try - check your lug nut torque. I had a very strange speed dependent sound in my front wheel that went away completely on tightening down a couple of loose lug nuts.

OP
OP
JL3W1S

JL3W1S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Man…. That sure has all the telltale signs of something being in the tire. I had a similar issue once, but I was lucky to have quickly found the small black piece of metal wedged into the tread (removing it solved my noise.)

If I were you I’d swap front and rear tires right to left to see if the noise follows. While the wheels are off, inspect the barrel of the rims. It seems extremely unlikely something is stuck inside the barrel and hitting the caliper every revolution…. But I suppose a wheel weight could be hanging by a thread, or maybe a sticker is on the inside of the barrel and is peeling off… who knows.

That’s where I’d start. Goodluck!
thanks. That was my first though also. Checked the tires and inspected EVERYWHERE under the car and in the wheel wells and moved the car and checked again before getting the wife to ride along. Windows down it was hardly audible. We discovered with windows up it’s definitely originating from transmission area (the wall next to passengers left foot) right where the carpet meets plastic for the climate control unit.

OP
OP
JL3W1S

JL3W1S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
thanks. That was my first though also. Checked the tires and inspected EVERYWHERE under the car and in the wheel wells and moved the car and checked again before getting the wife to ride along. Windows down it was hardly audible. We discovered with windows up it’s definitely originating from transmission area (the wall next to passengers left foot) right where the carpet meets plastic for the climate control unit.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JL3W1S

JL3W1S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
We’re you guys able to hear the clips? I may have forgotten to attach them. They are iCloud links it’s a video but its totally black so just audio to listen to. Let me know if these links work please.

One is parking lot the other is 20-40mph driving. Anything above 45mph you can’t really hear it much.

these clips are with the phone right up next to the source. It’s not even 1/4 that loud in person. Just enough to be annoying when the car is on “quiet mode”
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0cao6pu9xa8lr9UGTsmpvrsVw

https://share.icloud.com/photos/028BPBfqO3M7q1J2kGbMQXBOA

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Check the emergency brake cable and attaching assembly found under the driver side trans tunnel. This has been a known source of under car noises and is hard to replicate unless in a certain RPM range. When the cable is loose, it can make contact against the trans tunnel under certain conditions OR could be touching exhaust mid pipe. How to adjust the cable and assembly:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-to-adjust-your-parking-brake.25204/

Check the trans block spacer plate, it’s a common issue across the S550 and F150 platform:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/engine-transmission-plate-noise-fix.115718/

If looking at both the e-brake assembly or the trans spacer plate from under the car, yes visually they will look “fine”, but take a closer look to make sure it's not the source of the noise.

--

Driveshaft:
If the driveshaft or axles have any labels on them - it's possible during rotation that the labels are flapping during transit. Remove the labels. There was a thread on here a bit ago where some M6G members found the driveshaft label to be the culprit of under car noises.

--

Exhaust:
Look for any black soot staining on the exhaust pipes. If it exists, it's an exhaust leak and will also make a similar sound like ticking or the sound you describe. Loosen any clamps, adjust exhaust and tighten clamps down to seal from exhaust leaks.

—-
Lastly, has your GT350 been checked for this very important TSB:
Here's the GT350 Timing Chain TSB thread if you have not seen it:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/tsb-for-secondary-cam-chain-tensioner.158799/

Here's a similar thread in the GT500 sub-forum:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...hain-tensioner-service-guide-attached.158780/

Last edited:

BrakeFade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E39 M5, '21 CFTP GT500
Does the GT350 have a center support bearing on the driveshaft? But if it’s not ticking in neutral it should not be a DS issue.
Checked exhaust clearance? Does it change if you turn one direction vs another? Possible wheel bearing?

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Never hurts to ask.
Newly ex wife/girlfriend? ;-)

Jeffwels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage, 2016 BMW X5M
Have you swapped or replaced tires recently? I had a TPMS break apart inside the tire after a bone head mechanic apparently cracked it reinstalling tires. It worked fine until a track day where on the 3rd session i got a sound from what appeard to be the right rear. Removed all wheels from the car, rolled them and you could 100% hear the piece of something rolling around inside. Luckily the cup 2's were cooked and when I swapped to super car 3's we could the broken TPMS.

Fun fact the TPMS still worked and anything over like 10mph the sound would stop because the sensor would just get pegged to the inside of the tire due to the force.

Sponsored

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
It’s a very light tapping sound. At first I thought my right front tire had a rock or screw in the tread. It’s most pronounced when going slowly just due to lack of other noises....
I recall that some ticking from the front rotors was mentioned in GT350 BASICS & OTHER ESSENTIAL INFORMATION- IGNORE AT YOUR OWN RISK

I found a couple threads on the topic:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/clicking-sound-while-turning-right.90653/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...rom-brakes-update-it-was-the-rear-axle.63826/

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
If it is something in the tire, you should hear whatever is in the tread make contact with the pavement 1 time every second at 4 1/2 miles per hour... just to verify tire object test, it will be 2 ticks every second at 9 1/4 mph, and 3 ticks every second at 13 3/4 mph.

If anybody wants the boring math equations for this, just chime in --- [YAWN]

OP
OP
JL3W1S

JL3W1S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
JL3W1S

JL3W1S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Check the emergency brake cable and attaching assembly found under the driver side trans tunnel. This has been a known source of under car noises and is hard to replicate unless in a certain RPM range. When the cable is loose, it can make contact against the trans tunnel under certain conditions OR could be touching exhaust mid pipe. How to adjust the cable and assembly:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-to-adjust-your-parking-brake.25204/

Check the trans block spacer plate, it’s a common issue across the S550 and F150 platform:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/engine-transmission-plate-noise-fix.115718/

If looking at both the e-brake assembly or the trans spacer plate from under the car, yes visually they will look “fine”, but take a closer look to make sure it's not the source of the noise.

--

Driveshaft:
If the driveshaft or axles have any labels on them - it's possible during rotation that the labels are flapping during transit. Remove the labels. There was a thread on here a bit ago where some M6G members found the driveshaft label to be the culprit of under car noises.

--

Exhaust:
Look for any black soot staining on the exhaust pipes. If it exists, it's an exhaust leak and will also make a similar sound like ticking or the sound you describe. Loosen any clamps, adjust exhaust and tighten clamps down to seal from exhaust leaks.

—-
Lastly, has your GT350 been checked for this very important TSB:
Here's the GT350 Timing Chain TSB thread if you have not seen it:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/tsb-for-secondary-cam-chain-tensioner.158799/

Here's a similar thread in the GT500 sub-forum:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...hain-tensioner-service-guide-attached.158780/
Sponsored