Sponsored

Clicking sound while turning right

Mat8754

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Hey Everyone,

So I was out last night and I noticed this clicking sound coming from what sounded like the front right tire/wheel and it only occurs when turning right. The clicking increased in frequency as the speed of the car increases. I took a look and couldn't really see anything in there. Anybody have an issue like this in the past?
Sponsored

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Hey Everyone,

So I was out last night and I noticed this clicking sound coming from what sounded like the front right tire/wheel and it only occurs when turning right. The clicking increased in frequency as the speed of the car increases. I took a look and couldn't really see anything in there. Anybody have an issue like this in the past?
I'd take to the dealer. Could have an issue with the abs ring.

OP
OP

Mat8754

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Yeah, planning on taking it in. Just need to find a good dealer first.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I think this is a somewhat common problem, but it could have a few causes.

Could try torquing the lug nuts. Sometimes that helps. Sometimes it's the wheel bearings. Sometimes it's related to the rear half shafts (check that grease shields are in place). I've also heard that it can be related to the brakes.

My car had a clicking noise from both front wheels. The passenger side seems to have been fixed by properly torquing the mug nuts, but that did not fix the driver's side. Not yet sure what I want to do about that one. May take it to the dealer as I approach the end of the warranty to get it checked out. I currently have 22,000 miles in the car, so I've still got a bit of time to find more issues so they can all be addressed at once.

-T

Krischapel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
did anyone ever figure what it could be? both my front wheels make the clicking noise as well, but thought it was normal. doubt its lug nuts since I bought new tires and it still makes that noise.

Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Mine is still making the noise. I'm 99% sure it is something in the bearing assembly, as I've put on new front brake rotors with no difference in sound. Doesn't seem like much else could be the culprit. I've already checked for playing cards in the spokes, and couldn't find any...

-T

Krischapel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Mine is still making the noise. I'm 99% sure it is something in the bearing assembly, as I've put on new front brake rotors with no difference in sound. Doesn't seem like much else could be the culprit. I've already checked for playing cards in the spokes, and couldn't find any...

-T
HAHA!! those playing cards can be sneaky though!

I will have to talk to my dealer next time I go in. I have nearly 25k miles on the car, and have heard the noise since the first week.

Dutch324

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 Competition Orange Track Pack
I've had the same issue, but mine seems to be coming from the rear wheels. Clicking/ticking sound when turning 20 mph or faster, and the noise/frequency increases with speed. I've been into the dealer twice and they replaced the rear wheel bearings and something related to the front suspension, but the issue is still there. Tightened lug nuts to make sure they were up to spec.

My question is, is the car safe to track like this? I bought the car to track it but am not at all confident to make turns at 120+ mph in this thing making this noise...

@Trackaholic I'm assuming you've tracked yours with this sound in the past? Any issues?

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2011 SVT Raptor, 6.2L
I've had the same issue, but mine seems to be coming from the rear wheels. Clicking/ticking sound when turning 20 mph or faster, and the noise/frequency increases with speed. I've been into the dealer twice and they replaced the rear wheel bearings and something related to the front suspension, but the issue is still there. Tightened lug nuts to make sure they were up to spec.

My question is, is the car safe to track like this? I bought the car to track it but am not at all confident to make turns at 120+ mph in this thing making this noise...

@Trackaholic I'm assuming you've tracked yours with this sound in the past? Any issues?
I am having a similar issue where when I turn left I get this clicking sound from the front the front wheel area. I am taking it in next week. I’m
Guessing it’s related to the rotor since It seems to be related to the inertia in the wheel and could be the rotor pins shifting on the aluminum hat and steel rotor. My noise just started at 7,000 miles.

Multiple track days prior with no noise.

Dutch324

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am having a similar issue where when I turn left I get this clicking sound from the front the front wheel area. I am taking it in next week. I’m
Guessing it’s related to the rotor since It seems to be related to the inertia in the wheel and could be the rotor pins shifting on the aluminum hat and steel rotor. My noise just started at 7,000 miles.

Multiple track days prior with no noise.
Yes, the rotor theory is the one I've been hearing about the most, just have no reason to replace them yet as the car has only been tracked once or twice by the previous owner. I'm taking mine in to get a second-second opinion from another private mechanic next week and his theory is possibly a broken gear inside the differential...I'll let you know what he finds.

Good luck with wherever you take it in to and keep us updated!

Sponsored

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
Well I took it in for that clicking sound and the tech actually said it sounds like it’s coming from the rear. He re torqued the rear wheel and the sound went away for the day.
The sound is still there but less pronounced. It’s like a tack in the tire. But the tire is clean and only happens when turning left.

I had done that previously, but the sound came back. But it seems to be coming loose over a few hundred miles. Ug.

Last edited:

Dutch324

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I took it in for that clicking sound and the tech actually said it sounds like it’s coming from the rear. He re torqued the rear wheel and the sound went away.

I had done that previously, but the sound came back. So I’ll see how long this lasts. But it seems to be coming loose over a few hundred miles. Ug.
I made a video of the sound I'm having over the weekend, does this sound like what you're hearing too? I made sure my lugs were torqued before this.

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
That sound has similarities, but seems to be more pronounced than mine. It’s also more rapid. Mine is about half that RPM.

I made a video of the sound I'm having over the weekend, does this sound like what you're hearing too? I made sure my lugs were torqued before this.

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Mine just developed this (maybe) as well.

It sounded exactly like a rock got stuck in the RF tire - could only hear it while turning left. Thought nothing of it. Drove it a few times and still had the ticking so I pulled over and checked the tire. FWIW it seems nearly impossible for a rock to get stuck in the tread as there really isn't any. And there weren't any rocks. Confused me.

Then about 25 miles of spirited driving later it's MUCH more pronounced on the RF while turning left, and now I also hear it faintly in the LF when turning right.

It does not sound like what's in the video posted above but probably only because of the frequency. The ticking in the video sounds like a garbled mess rather than a precise predictable click.
Sponsored