The "how to disable the data link to Ford" thread

M.A.N.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ranger 2018 F-150 2014 GT500
I'll say one thing, Ford and their store employees sure don't talk up "points." Didn't even know about them until this purchase and only because of you guys.

It's a sizable amount of Monopoly money when you buy a vehicle so if you're like me, I figured if I'd been phoning home since February, a little while longer to spend all the bux wasn't out of the question. Might as well grab the dough and run.

Meanwhile, I did a master reset tonight and retested FordPass.

Wonder of wonders, it couldn't phone home...Hooray! A phone call to be removed tomorrow and that oughta do it. Thanks to all the contributors to this one.
That's what I did, I took my money and ran Friday. Had the oil changed in my Ranger, got oil and filter for a oil change in GT350 and 38 qts of 5w-30. All with my points.
Sponsored

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic PP1 Magneride 401A manual Roush stage 2
Just got off the phone with Ford and was told it would be taken care of but it can take up to 30 days before it quits sharing data

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
They specifically said that Ford sells a persons driving habits to insurance companies? This does not sound like it could be plausible as far as determining rates, because there is zero way for ANYONE to decipher WHO is driving the car. My insurance rates suck because I live in MA, but they are not more expensive than the average MA driver.

As I said Tom, I get it. I give you kudos for attempting to sever the umbilical cord, really I do. I am a subscriber to your quest, and a participant as well, once it's figured out. I am just not gonna loos a minutes sleep over it.
They said that if opted in they share your driving habits with insurance companies. Do you know if you are opted in or out? She said most people like being opted in because it can lower their rates.

I was opted in. She opted me out per my request.

I don't recall ever opting into anything.
Well one picture worth million words. What else do you need to believe.
20200829_181949-jpg.jpg

20200829_181955-jpg.jpg
Tom, I just called

This is ONLY if you purchase auto insurance from this company that is partnered with Ford. Basically is just like the option other companies have with the OBDII dongle device. I called the listed number and I was told that they do not give this data to other insurance companies.

The option is greyed out (not selectable), and OFF because the Ford offered insurance company is not being used. It would seem even if that company was used, the option to turn it off WOULD be selectable.

If someone is dumb enough to sign up for this, it's on them.
I still believe its data under a generic approach vs, YOU/US/our names. But hey, maybe im wrong and my personal driving habits ARE THE REASON no insurance companies have offered me coverage hahahahah!!

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
Yesterday I decided to Delete My Personal Information under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA). Here is the e-mail I received from Ford today.

Thank you for submitting your “Delete My PI” request under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA). The CCPA does not allow us to act on a request unless we can verify it. We would like to share some information with you about what it means to “verify” a request and what you can expect during our verification process.

Our Verification Process:

First, we will use the information you submitted with your request to determine if we have personal information about you in our system. If we’re not able to locate you in our system, we will notify you of that.

Next, the CCPA’s privacy rights are granted to California consumers, so we need to confirm that you are a California resident. We are not currently extending the CCPA’s privacy rights to residents of other states. If it appears you are not a resident of California, we will notify you of that.

Finally, the CCPA requires us to verify your identity – in other words, that the person making the “Delete My PI” request is really you and not someone else posing as you. To do this, we will try to match information that you give us with information that we maintain and have determined is reliable for the purpose of identity verification.

In connection with these efforts, we may ask you to answer some additional Verification Questions. The information you provide could help us to verify your identity. The Verification

Questions will also include a return date. It is important that you return your answers to us by that date so that we may respond to your “Delete My PI” request within the time required by the CCPA.

Please be aware that not answering the additional Verification Questions may affect whether we can verify your identity. Answering the Verification Questions, however, does not guarantee that we will be able to verify your identity. If we’re not able to verify your identity to the degree of certainty required by the CCPA, we will notify you of that.

If we’re able to verify your identity to the degree of certainty required by the CCPA, we will take action on your “Delete My PI” request and provide you with a response that explains what we did.

You can be assured that we will use the information you submitted with your request and your answers to the Verification Questions only for our verification efforts, purposes of security and fraud prevention, and the record-keeping provisions of the CCPA.

When You Can Expect to Hear from Us:

We try to respond to CCPA requests promptly, but our ability to do so is affected by the number of requests we receive.

If we’re able to locate you in our system and verify your identity based on the information you provided with your request, you should receive our response to your request within 5-6 weeks.

If we’re able to locate you in our system but not able to verify your identity based on the information you submitted with your request, we will send you the additional Verification Questions in approximately 2-3 weeks. If you return your answers to the Verification Questions by the indicated return date, you should receive our response to your request approximately 3-4 weeks after that. The nature of our response will depend on whether we’re able to verify your request as required by the CCPA.

How We Communicate with You:

If you selected “email” as your preferred contact method, “DocuSign” is the tool that you and we will use to communicate securely with each other. The DocuSign email will include instructions on how to use the tool, including how to perform an important authentication measure.

If you selected “US mail” as your preferred contact method, we will send our communications to the address you provided when you submitted your request.

Extension of Time:

If we need to extend the time to respond to your request (which the CCPA permits), we will notify you of that within 45 days of your request.

Thank you again for submitting your CCPA “Delete My PI” request and for your help as we work to evaluate your request.

Yours truly,

Ford | Lincoln Customer Processing Team

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Yesterday I decided to Delete My Personal Information under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA). Here is the e-mail I received from Ford today.

Thank you for submitting your “Delete My PI” request under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA). The CCPA does not allow us to act on a request unless we can verify it. We would like to share some information with you about what it means to “verify” a request and what you can expect during our verification process.

Our Verification Process:

Yours truly,

Ford | Lincoln Customer Processing Team
Holy crap, it's not a quick and simple thing, eh? And who knows, after all that, that what they're deleting even gives you the effect you desire.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still do it, but wow does it seem like they don't make it easy. Would be nice if the default were OPT OUT and there were HONEST opt-in's in the first place.

Sponsored

petronix

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
1972 Vette, 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T, 2000 Miata, 2017 Escape
If Ford is indeed in cahoots with your insurance carrier sending them data from your car, and your car is not sending this data when it should be, do you think your insurance company will default you to lower or higher rates anyway?

gfcobra04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 94 Lightning, 2020 GT500
Have y’all checked your sync version?

Mine updated on 7/30/20 at 2:23pm to v3.4. So my car connected to Ford.

I’m not sure how my car connected because I haven’t turned on WiFi or activated ford pass. I guess the car used my cellphone to dial home(Ford).

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
I’m not sure how my car connected because I haven’t turned on WiFi or activated ford pass. I guess the car used my cellphone to dial home(Ford).
It connected via the modem. Passenger compartment fuse #8 on your car I believe.

Sponsored

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Why do we not think the unit isn't actively cracking local WIFI networks even if we disable it?

(PS, IF WE LIVED IN EUROPE, you would have recourse to sue)

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Don’t you have to activate the modem through a cellular network?
How would you know? Kindle's have a cellular connection that you have to "PAY" for... What is preventing from phoning home?

<forgot to quote tomster>

Listen, I support you in this.. Fight the good fight. I'm not giving you your beer back. Coronavirus or not, that shit is mine.

M.A.N.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ranger 2018 F-150 2014 GT500
No, its more about privacy.

What I paid for my car (whether more or less) has nothing to do with what everyone here, who has posted with concern, has reservations about.

So here WE are talking about ways to defeat a data link that was not disclosed to me at the time of purchase that really does infringe on my privacy. Last time I looked it wasnt illegal to replace an antenna or pull a fuse.

I could give a rats ass whether an insurance company was watching this website. Here hold my beer and watch this you (explictive) fine upstanding person.....
I Agree!
Sponsored