The "how to disable the data link to Ford" thread

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
Yesterday I did a factory reset of SYNC and I immediately got an e-mail from FordPass acknowledging the factory reset. The car was not connected to my phone or the internet.

Your FordPass™ App account is no longer authorized to access your vehicle

FORDPASS™ NOTIFICATION
YOUR REQUESTED RESET IS COMPLETE.

This email is notification that your account is no longer authorized or connected to your vehicle via the FordPass App because FordPass Connect was reset to the factory settings.

To reconnect your account to your vehicle, follow the vehicle activation process in the FordPass App.
Sponsored

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
@kilobravo If I am right about the 6 month requirement on FP, you should be able to OPT out without forfeiting your points.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
*Modem must be activated within 60 days of purchase through the FordPass App on a smartphone and remain active for at least 6 months after activation. Buyers of non-modem equipped vehicles will also receive Points after enrollment. Visit a participating dealer for details.

• Do FordPass Rewards Points expire?

FordPass Rewards Point balances expire and are forfeited when a member has not earned Points, redeemed Points or fulfilled a reward earned through FordPass Rewards for 365 consecutive calendar days. App usage does not qualify as activity needed to keep Points from expiring. To help in these uncertain times, expiration of FordPass Rewards Points has been extended to April 1, 2021, for Points earned prior to April, 2020. Points earned after April 1, 2020 will expire at the 365-day mark with no other activity.

• What happens if the modem is deactivated before the six-month period?

If a member deactivates the modem on their vehicle prior to the required 180-day period the FordPass Rewards Points earned (42,000 Points for gas and 75,000 Points for diesel) will be removed from the member account. If the member has redeemed part or all of the earned rewards, FordPass Rewards will deduct the remaining Points from the member account.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
This is how I feel. There is zero proof that Ford is in bed with insurance companies. One guy on here saw something change in his rates that is more likely coincidence than anything else.

They are without a doubt collecting data to monitor how things are working, that they will use in house.

If they sell data, I would be willing to bet it had nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

I do not take my car, or any of my pervious cars to the track. I am not a slow driver. I have more fun than I care to admit, and I have my whole life. There is no way in hell my insurance rates are decided by my driving habits (other than moving violations).

I get it, nobody wants to be spied on. If someone finds out how to correct data collecting on our cars, and its easy, I will do it for the same reason that I will never own a Google device. Just because. The two biggest spies I can think of is Google, and Android.
Well one picture worth million words. What else do you need to believe.
20200829_181949-jpg.jpg

20200829_181955-jpg.jpg

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Tom, I just called
Well one picture worth million words. What else do you need to believe.
20200829_181949-jpg.jpg

20200829_181955-jpg.jpg
This is ONLY if you purchase auto insurance from this company that is partnered with Ford. Basically is just like the option other companies have with the OBDII dongle device. I called the listed number and I was told that they do not give this data to other insurance companies.

The option is greyed out (not selectable), and OFF because the Ford offered insurance company is not being used. It would seem even if that company was used, the option to turn it off WOULD be selectable.

If someone is dumb enough to sign up for this, it's on them.

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
They can keep their points..........
I say the same thing when people mention "points."

It is the ultimate insult. Look, over here, we will give you points for free stuff! Meanwhile, we will profiteer from prying into your lifestyle and while doing so we will also encourage control.

The sad thing is as it becomes more prevalent it becomes the norm. People become desensitized to it. Legislative bodies mandate it as the insurance industry convinces them via lobbyists that it is for our own good under the guise of safety for all. Who has the most to lose here? We do, the performance community.

Get in line for your castor oil. You will drink it and you will like it.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
Tom, I posted the info about the points for the guys and gals who may be reading this thread with over 6 months of FP and were reluctant to shut off the modem because they were concerned about losing their points.Now they know there is no reason for concern.

I noticed today that with the car off and sitting in the garage and supposedly not connected to my modem, they show up on the connected devices in my modem. I blocked their access to the modem. Now we will see what happens next.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Tom, I posted the info about the points for the guys and gals who may be reading this thread with over 6 months of FP and were reluctant to shut off the modem because they were concerned about losing their points.Now they know there is no reason for concern.

I noticed today that with the car off and sitting in the garage and supposedly not connected to my modem, they show up on the connected devices in my modem. I blocked their access to the modem. Now we will see what happens next.
Earl.....

We are so good. My comment was not really directed to you. More towards the folks that are sacrificing their privacy for mere crumbs.

If someone is so worried about points that would amount to about a case of oil and a filter, then they shouldn't be involved in a 100k mustang.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I'll say one thing, Ford and their store employees sure don't talk up "points." Didn't even know about them until this purchase and only because of you guys.

It's a sizable amount of Monopoly money when you buy a vehicle so if you're like me, I figured if I'd been phoning home since February, a little while longer to spend all the bux wasn't out of the question. Might as well grab the dough and run.

Meanwhile, I did a master reset tonight and retested FordPass.

Wonder of wonders, it couldn't phone home...Hooray! A phone call to be removed tomorrow and that oughta do it. Thanks to all the contributors to this one.
Sponsored