Taller CFTP Wing standoff options ?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
@Epiphany archetype racing uses the exact same mounts and the wing warped the anderson CF trunk lid. They are working on reinforcements for it.

this is why APR has hose aluminum strengthening spacers between the 2 halves of the trunk shell for the fp350s wing. Even capaldi racing suggests welding support bars across the inside of the factory decklid as it also is too weak

8CD39750-C549-4FBF-B1A8-80BF1B94499E.jpeg

this was confirmed by a very very high up person at ford who has multiple gt350 racecars (on site) i had the pleasure of meeting at the track.

multimatic has to have a different decklid because i can 100%, on my wing at least, high speeds, the anderson CF will be deformed.
The FP350S mounts on the inner portion of the decklid whereas the GT4 and 500 mount on the outer portion. The outer portion has much more material and strength. The steel decklid, combined with the dog bones, gives ample strength for the GT4 and GT500. This is why the GP350S needs reinforcement.
Sponsored

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
The FP350S mounts on the inner portion of the decklid whereas the GT4 and 500 mount on the outer portion. The outer portion has much more material and strength. The steel decklid, combined with the dog bones, gives ample strength for the GT4 and GT500. This is why the GP350S needs reinforcement.
yesā€¦.ā€¦..but as stated by A very high up person, who is well versed and friends with anyone involved with ford racingā€¦.they need the strength

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
yesā€¦.but my archetype mounts to the R and it ALSO needs the same reinforment On the inner mount. the brackets for the gT4 ā€˜should beā€ L brackets.
Yes, inner brackets need reinforcement. It has been debated that the outer mounts on a cf lid need them as well. That is why I didn't get a cf lid

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Yes, inner brackets need reinforcement. It has been debated that the outer mounts on a cf lid need them as well. That is why I didn't get a cf lid
i was basically told by everyone, stay away until they figure this outā€¦..especially with your high speed track tom

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
i was basically told by everyone, stay away until they figure this outā€¦..especially with your high speed track tom
And that is why I passed. What good is a decklid if it can't support a wing?

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
@Epiphany archetype racing uses the exact same mounts and the wing warped the anderson CF trunk lid. They are working on reinforcements for it. this is why APR has hose aluminum strengthening spacers between the 2 halves of the trunk shell for the fp350s wing. Even capaldi racing suggests welding support bars across the inside of the factory decklid as it also is too weak

this was confirmed by a very very high up person at ford who has multiple gt350 racecars (on site) i had the pleasure of meeting at the track.

multimatic has to have a different decklid because i can 100%, on my wing at least, high speeds, the anderson CF will be deformed.
yesā€¦.ā€¦..but as stated by A very high up person, who is well versed and friends with anyone involved with ford racingā€¦.they need the strength

Let's get a bit further into this one.

We've been through much of this before but the FP350S is inboard, different animal, hence the welded tubular reinforcement on the underside of the decklid. I had some great discussion with Bruce Smith about this and the car, pretty much his baby, at PRI in Indy when the car was introduced.

The GT4 decklid and wing...the airfoil was pretty much figured out while FR and Multimatic tested some different upright combinations. Note how far inboard the early mounts were where they sat on the decklid face.

Mustang%2520GT4.jpg

You may have seen the above photo when the GT4 was first talked about. What you never saw were the mounts on the underside of the decklid. I had ample opportunity this past November to study them up close and was impressed with the effort. A scan and some CNC work let to a tight fitting chunk of aluminum to spread the load.

i-FSWZSJg-X5.jpg

i-Mv2mp4H-X4.jpg

i-zgShhx3-X5.jpg

I believe that test prototype was using a steel decklid as well.

The GT4 ended up using the same location as the GT350R production wing (as well as the yet unborn CFTP GT500), more outboard than what was tested early. There is much behind the location including fore aft ribbing on the underside panel as well as the load spreading dogbones used.

z5P1A0087-X4.jpg

z5P1A0100-X5.jpg

I would love to finally see what is going on underneath the decklid with your Archetype wing. I'm wondering if the uprights attach to the plate, while the plate has fasteners which then attach to the decklid. Or is it fastened directly through the legs of the uprights/plates (aside from the most inboard fastener in the triangulated pattern, off on its own)?

In addition, is the Archetype wing further aft than the GT4 mount, along with a longer chord? It looks like it and if so I could see the additional downforce created being too much for a CF decklid not designed to withstand it.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
archetype mounts to R bolt pattern and exact same dogbones as R and gt4
8D0868AE-2F15-4740-A24E-03CA63C32F44.jpeg

CE3153BE-BE2C-4C70-8B27-D70674CC2436.jpeg

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tony, can you please post some shots of the underside of your decklid? And is Archetype purchasing dogbones from Multimatic, Ford, or making their own?

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Tony, can you please post some shots of the underside of your decklid? And is Archetype purchasing dogbones from Multimatic, Ford, or making their own?
Iā€™ll be at the track saturday. but its the exact same ones they make. Its def built in house.

@Warpath they are apex sm-10 19x11.5 square, e56 backspacing and running a 31mm spacer up front With gt4 extended studs all around. Tires are goodyear eagle f1 3rā€¦305/30/19 ā€¦ā€¦ my fav tire

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd like to see how the baseplate and uprights interface through the decklid.

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
A local friend with a 2020 base added the AC CF deck lid and the OEM CF wing. I just asked him and he said he has hit 178 with this configuration even with the wing in the up position with zero issues. He said despite what their website says, AC told him that wings that mount on the outer edge like ours work fine. The problem is wings that have more center mounts putting pressure closer to the middle of the deck lid.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
A local friend with a 2020 base added the AC CF deck lid and the OEM CF wing. I just asked him and he said he has hit 178 with this configuration even with the wing in the up position with zero issues. He said despite what their website says, AC told him that wings that mount on the outer edge like ours work fine. The problem is wings that have more center mounts putting pressure closer to the middle of the deck lid.
This makes more sense as you are distributing the force for the most part evenly across the whole lid while using the lid width as the strength, its similar to having a large fish tank (150Gal. or higher) using a 4 legged stand is not recommended unless you put a 1" board for it to sit on to distribute the weight, or you get a wooden cabinet which achieves the same thing. I know this cause when I was in my 20's I had a 150Gal tank on a second floor walkup and researched the best way to make sure my neighbor downstairs didnt end up as a swimming pool.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...AC told him that wings that mount on the outer edge like ours work fine. The problem is wings that have more center mounts putting pressure closer to the middle of the deck lid.
I think we've been saying that for a few pages now.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I'm just curious.... has this driver had the car to (max) speed on a repetitive basis?

If the guy was a track rat hitting 180 over and over, I might be willing to try it but I was told that the decklid would most likely crack over time.
Sponsored