SCCA CAM-C Thread

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Sure I’ll be down a little on torque, but I can forget dealing with shifting to 3rd
This was the logic behind my rear gear change. I haven't gotten to go out and play, yet, but I like it on the street and everything in my head is telling me it's going to be good.
Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Well now I’m thinking of replacing my Gen2 drivetrain with one out of a wrecked GT350 (1st gen).

Cost is similar to a well rebuilt Gen3/2/2 ready for high RPM use, and power will probably be similar. The Tremec seems like a win for the gearing for me. Sure I’ll be down a little on torque, but I can forget dealing with shifting to 3rd and I might also solve me fueling issues at the same time. Hmm
Just my two cents, if you can get a gen 3 to rev like a voodoo, I'd go with the gen 3. Admittedly, I don't know the reliability of a gen 3 set up like that, but I do know the tremec is significantly better. And I do know all the vibration dampers on the voodoo add a significant bit of weight.

For reference, at the tour event in Beeville last month, I was still hitting redline in two spots, so yeah, you won't need to hit 3rd, but you are definitely at the top of the rev range at those bigger events in voodoo trim. But man the voodoo sounds good.

You won't hate either set up. It comes down to reliability IMO. If you're good with a little added risk, go for it with the voodoo. Mine is a gen 1, and post break in, my oil consumption concerns have dropped a lot. I'm doing ECR this weekend, and looking forward to seeing how it does with oil.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Isn't GT4 engine a Voodoo block with regular cross-plane crank ? (for a reason)
Someone here on the forum was doing that too.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah they have the 5.2 blocks with cross plane cranks, and you can pair them with gen2 high flowing GT350 heads and gen2 computer, but its the most $$ way to go. (I reuse nothing except gen2 wiring and computers, and the MT82, and the 5.2 block is not cheap).

Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
GT350 gearing is about perfect, but I did have a tune put on the car to grant me a 9,000rpm redline when needed. With the 295/35-19 A052's though, I doubt I'll ever need that extra rpm as much as I did when on the shorter 305/30's I was on last year.

The one big change though is that there's a massive decrease in torque below 3,500rpm with the Voodoo compared to the regular Coyote. It's not a bad thing, but something to be aware of. I can just about bury the throttle off the line with the linear power delivery even on less than ideal surfaces.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
That's related to the rules. You only make ~450 HP max in GT4. It doesn't make any sense to put in an expensive flat crank and all the Voodoo crap on an engine with intake restrictors and a rev-limiter. This is also why their rad is relatively small.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
GT350 gearing is about perfect, but I did have a tune put on the car to grant me a 9,000rpm redline when needed. With the 295/35-19 A052's though, I doubt I'll ever need that extra rpm as much as I did when on the shorter 305/30's I was on last year.
Just asking for it LOL

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Just asking for it LOL

These motors aren't as "made of glass" as the internet would lead you to believe. The only people I know who've had motor replacements were only burning a quart per oil change in their 2016's and 2017's and pushed their dealership extra hard early on to get a Gen 2 to try and increase the resale value of their car more than anything else.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
These motors aren't as "made of glass" as the internet would lead you to believe. The only people I know who've had motor replacements were only burning a quart per oil change in their 2016's and 2017's and pushed their dealership extra hard early on to get a Gen 2 to try and increase the resale value of their car more than anything else.
Why did the GT4 car's ditch the Voodoo as soon as possible?

Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Long form endurance racing is much different than autocrossing. Also I honestly having crossed 7500 rpm on course since getting the revised tune with the course designs we've had. It was really only the Porsche Club events that cause an issue with the rev-limit in 2nd.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
9000 rpm! Thats epic

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Good info…I will focus on coyote or procharger then lol.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Long form endurance racing is much different than autocrossing. Also I honestly having crossed 7500 rpm on course since getting the revised tune with the course designs we've had. It was really only the Porsche Club events that cause an issue with the rev-limit in 2nd.
Oh I don't disagree. I use track based results as a datapoint to understand what is going to fail. We saw a lot of problems with the VooDoo in that GT4 platform.

Another variable. How much of the GT4 failures were a learning curve, vs actual problems with the platform? I don't think anyone knows that answer just due to the nature of blazing a new path that Ford did with the FPC. It's basically a totally new engine just based on the up-down-up-down configuration.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
You want the extra displacement for torque and because you're trying to keep your revs lower for fuel consumption. You only need to make 'X' power and anything more will just be legislated away. So you give it as broad of a torque curve as you can and make it use as little fuel as possible. Horses for courses.

Flat plane V-8's have a nasty harmonic just below 10k rpm (around 9800 if memory serves). To keep them happy, you either have to spend you time below or above. You're unlikely to make it live above, but be aware of what's close. 9000 on a Voodoo seems to be asking for a problem. FFS, you're out-revving an S2000, lol! Is it really all that much slower to lift and keep it just shy of the limiter? I bet not. It's your toy, though, play with it as you see fit.
Sponsored