SCCA CAM-C Thread

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I am going to be adding race louvers to my hood akin to what @NightmareMoon is using. Should I cut into my stock hood, or not? I have a guy offering to sell me a 2016 black GT hood ($500). I am just searching and finding that my stock Deep Impact Blue base hood is *expensive*.

Advice, thoughts? I also will be doing race louvers on the fenders later on.
It's up to you. I love the look so much I just sent it with my Trackspec vents into my stock GT350 hood.

ATLSCCA_Pts3_2023_3169-(ZF-7523-01466-1-002).jpg
Sponsored

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
It's up to you. I love the look so much I just sent it with my Trackspec vents into my stock GT350 hood.

ATLSCCA_Pts3_2023_3169-(ZF-7523-01466-1-002).jpg
I love the look to...your orange is *mwah* chef's kiss. I mean...hell...daily driven racecar. Also this is not a "im gonna sell this car one day" car. I keep cars until they die...this one will be getting some special sauce when its engine gets abused too much (considering a predator...in however many many many years when this engine dies).

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
this is not a "im gonna sell this car one day" car.
If you don't plan on ever returning it back to stock, then imo cut the hood you already have. I wanted to preserve mine, so I did exactly that - bought a takeoff hood, cut and wrapped it.
20230528_113718~5.jpg

Also, think about this - do you have space to store the original hood?

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
@NightmareMoon @Flyhalf @mavisky thoughts on fenderliner? Discovered today during brake bleeding that I am rubbing. A lot. So I am removing them…is this okay? On our Honda track build we said screw it, but I want to make sure its fine with you guys on this ole girl.

IMG_1884.jpeg

Sponsored

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
CamC Wings: is anyone running the apr 200 wing? Is it enough? Or do y’all go “really big” for a reason? My s2000 and Miata friends are all running monster wings with almost no angle of attack, so I’m a bit questioning if big is really needed or just in style. I don’t really plan a splitter upgrade at the moment and more just want fast without extra steps at events or at my garage between events.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
@NightmareMoon @Flyhalf @mavisky thoughts on fenderliner? Discovered today during brake bleeding that I am rubbing. A lot. So I am removing them…is this okay? On our Honda track build we said screw it, but I want to make sure its fine with you guys on this ole girl.

IMG_1884.jpeg
I rub a little in some spots. Just let it rub. Better to let it rub than to remove it entirely. They do more than just jeep the inner fender and wiring clean.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I rub a little in some spots. Just let it rub. Better to let it rub than to remove it entirely. They do more than just jeep the inner fender and wiring clean.
Okay, just paranoid of tires. Will put on.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
CamC Wings: is anyone running the apr 200 wing? Is it enough? Or do y’all go “really big” for a reason? My s2000 and Miata friends are all running monster wings with almost no angle of attack, so I’m a bit questioning if big is really needed or just in style. I don’t really plan a splitter upgrade at the moment and more just want fast without extra steps at events or at my garage between events.
I'm sure it's functional but I've never seen APR publish any data on their stuff. It sits pretty low compared to all the other options but I would assume it's within a reasonable margin of what comes on the GT500 CFTP or the Mustang GT4 racecars since they are a similar chord width and height off the deck lid. I know Verus claims there's some flow separation on the back glass of the S550 chassis so that's why they mount their wing so high and even offer vortex generators for the roof line to try and avoid that separation.

Another thing to consider is that in my car with the Verus wing I can see clearly out od my rear view mirror since the wing is up high enough I can see under it. This seems like it would be smack in the middle of my rear view.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I'm sure it's functional but I've never seen APR publish any data on their stuff. It sits pretty low compared to all the other options but I would assume it's within a reasonable margin of what comes on the GT500 CFTP or the Mustang GT4 racecars since they are a similar chord width and height off the deck lid. I know Verus claims there's some flow separation on the back glass of the S550 chassis so that's why they mount their wing so high and even offer vortex generators for the roof line to try and avoid that separation.

Another thing to consider is that in my car with the Verus wing I can see clearly out od my rear view mirror since the wing is up high enough I can see under it. This seems like it would be smack in the middle of my rear view.
Thanks for that. What AOA are you using with your Verus?

Spot checking 80 mph, it looks like the APR 200 maxes out at ~117 lb of downforce and the Verus could achieve. ~180 lb.

Verus Aero Table.png

APR Aero Table.png

Sponsored

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the rub info peeps.

Also anybody thirsty?

image.jpg

8 year old OEM brake fluid hit different in the Sunday afternoon.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Thanks for that. What AOA are you using with your Verus?

Spot checking 80 mph, it looks like the APR 200 maxes out at ~117 lb of downforce and the Verus could achieve. ~180 lb.

Verus Aero Table.png

APR Aero Table.png
It's autox baby. Max angle of 15 degrees.

Comparing the 12 degree AOA between the two you're looking at the following:

80mph
117 APR vs 175 Verus

100mph
183 APR vs 220 Verus

160mph
263 APR - 590 Verus

Interesting to see APR's wing closing the gap at 100mph, but then dying off up top in comparison to the Verus that just keeps climbing. This may be the result of how low the wing is mounted and it may start to suffer from that airflow separation or it may just be a byproduct of their design.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Welp, my motor made it 8.5 years, 97800 miles, 135 days of autox and 34 on tracks, with one national championship, a ton of 1sts at national events and a a few top PAX finishes at locals. Not bad for a car that cost 38k new.

That’ll do pig, that’ll do.

Rod knock after my 2nd run today and seems seized. Wont know for a while what actually went wrong (she’s gonna have to sit for a while before my guy can open her up).

I’m not displeased, I got a lot of smiles and miles out of that motor. Need to figure out what’s next.

Could part out, could spend 10-15k and rebuild, could rebuild for a blower, could try to put in a low mile wrecked voodoo powerplant for 20k. None of those options are gonna make my wallet happy, but I guess I have a month or so to ruminate on it.

IMG_6525.jpeg

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Man, I went as big as I could find (7+ sq ft) and I don’t regret it. I tried some aggressive angle at some locals and it didnt feel any better than the efficient angle the manufacturer recommended. Bigger wing can be run at an efficient angle and still make the downforce

That said I do have a decent amount of front with canards and big diffuser ducts on the splitter. On track at 110mph it feels pretty balanced with the 2nd wing element a bit lower. On autox it also feels stable but not understeery….

Or at least it did before I parked it earlier today
Sponsored