Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
You won't need anything major for autocross. If your brakes are getting overheated in autocross you're probably doing something wrong or I need to come to your region to experience some of these crazy courses.
I should probably have posted about brake fluid in HPDE, my bad. 😂 our courses are fun but very tight for mustangs.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I don't use SRF anymore. I had a clutch cylinder failure and there was a rumor that SRF was bad for that part of the system (clutch and brakes share a resevoir)... Besides SRF is pretty expensive. The advantage to SRF (if the clutch rumor is false) is that it doesn't require flushing as often as a typical Dot4 fluid.. However, if you're tracking, trying to avoid flushing your brake fluid is putting the emphasis on convenience instead of safety, which is probably the wrong priority.

So I'm an Motul 600 or 660 guy now. Both of those are rated a few degrees higher than ATF200 (which I have no experience with). MT660>MT600>ATF200 from what I'm reading.

The main thing with any of those fluids is that fresh track fluid is more important than having the very tippy top best track fluid. You're way more likely to boil the fluid if its old, no matter the brand.

So flush fluid before the event (and I've had to bleed fluid between days of a two day event before too).

For autocross, its more about your pad choice, like Mav said, if you're boiling brake fluid on an autox course, we'd love to come run those epic fast autox courses with you.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I don't use SRF anymore. I had a clutch cylinder failure and there was a rumor that SRF was bad for that part of the system (clutch and brakes share a resevoir)... Besides SRF is pretty expensive. The advantage to SRF (if the clutch rumor is false) is that it doesn't require flushing as often as a typical Dot4 fluid.. However, if you're tracking, trying to avoid flushing your brake fluid is putting the emphasis on convenience instead of safety, which is probably the wrong priority.

So I'm an Motul 600 or 660 guy now. Both of those are rated a few degrees higher than ATF200 (which I have no experience with). MT660>MT600>ATF200 from what I'm reading.

The main thing with any of those fluids is that fresh track fluid is more important than having the very tippy top best track fluid. You're way more likely to boil the fluid if its old, no matter the brand.

So flush fluid before the event (and I've had to bleed fluid between days of a two day event before too).

For autocross, its more about your pad choice, like Mav said, if you're boiling brake fluid on an autox course, we'd love to come run those epic fast autox courses with you.
I think this is pretty well documented, and know a lot of guys install a separate reservoir to segregate clutch and brake.

Hell I have two new reservoirs sitting on my workbench, just not had the motivation to get them installed just yet.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Motul RBF600 - reasonable pricing, well known and well tested performance, solid brand, available everywhere, including track shops. It's like 20 bucks and I just flush one bottle before every track event, peace of mind and one less thing to worry about.

Sponsored

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
IMG_1801.jpeg

Top is before, bottom is new alignment specs. 👌🫶

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Much better. Now delete the contact info from that first shop and never go back there again.
Yessir. This is why I do literally everything else myself. If I had time/cared enough to do my own alignments and mount tires I would.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Yessir. This is why I do literally everything else myself. If I had time/cared enough to do my own alignments and mount tires I would.
I just checked and I have aligned my car 19 times. Probably saved myself like $3000. When stuff is getting regularly abused, broken, replaced, and upgraded, it becomes sort of crazy to pay someone and set aside the time to make appointments each time the suspension comes apart.

To be fair, for the majority of those alignments I adjusted zero to one thing and it doesn't take that long to do.

Never mind the 2-3 sets of tires I have mounted myself per year over the last forever. Also saving thousands and thousands of dollars.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I just checked and I have aligned my car 19 times. Probably saved myself like $3000. When stuff is getting regularly abused, broken, replaced, and upgraded, it becomes sort of crazy to pay someone and set aside the time to make appointments each time the suspension comes apart.

To be fair, for the majority of those alignments I adjusted zero to one thing and it doesn't take that long to do.

Never mind the 2-3 sets of tires I have mounted myself per year over the last forever. Also saving thousands and thousands of dollars.
This is great. Do you have your own tire machine and balncer? Do you use string or laser aligner at home? I heard in this thread (somewhere) string is extremely accurate, and saw the link to the one many people use. Definitely considering getting it and learning alignment asap.

Sponsored

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
This is great. Do you have your own tire machine and balncer? Do you use string or laser aligner at home? I heard in this thread (somewhere) string is extremely accurate, and saw the link to the one many people use. Definitely considering getting it and learning alignment asap.
I use tenhulzen plates and ordinary string. There are multiple valid methods to align at home.

I mount tires on the floor of my home office the caveman way and balance with a bubble balancer. If I had room for tire machines I would go that route immediately.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I use tenhulzen plates and ordinary string. There are multiple valid methods to align at home.

I mount tires on the floor of my home office the caveman way and balance with a bubble balancer. If I had room for tire machines I would go that route immediately.
My main problem is room as well. My garage has two other cars (dailies) and not much room. I keep my daily tires in the office over summertime.

i will be looking into this further. Bless

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
And here I am with a 2 car and a 1 car garage and all of our dailies parked outside lol. I've wanted to get a string alignment setup myself but my garage floor is not 100% level to help with drainage I assume.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I am going to be adding race louvers to my hood akin to what @NightmareMoon is using. Should I cut into my stock hood, or not? I have a guy offering to sell me a 2016 black GT hood ($500). I am just searching and finding that my stock Deep Impact Blue base hood is *expensive*.

Advice, thoughts? I also will be doing race louvers on the fenders later on.
Sponsored