Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I think Ford is keeping the 2019 motors for the 2019 cars at this point. I had mine replaced in January with a 2019 motor, which I was told was yanked from a production build. So I think Ford is being slow on the engine replacements now that the 2019 build is over and the 2020 builds are on, for the 350 and the 500 since they share the block and heads. So this was a long yes.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I've been waiting 3 weeks for Ford to approve my engine replacement. Not sure if it was dealer error or if Ford is starting to drag its feet on engine replacements. My engine failure is clearly oil consumption related (burning 1 qt every 100 miles), with no signs of leaks or other problems I'm wondering where all this oil is going? I keep asking for them to check the exhaust system, as I'm getting a huge amount of soot on the tail pipes, and it drips black gunk from the pipes if I let it idle. Has anyone who had their engine replaced also got Ford to replace their exhaust system, or at least their catalytic converts?
I've heard others ask about the exhaust systems, particularly the cats. I would love to hear a response to that one. Maybe at the very least, get an extended warranty on the cats and mufflers.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I've heard others ask about the exhaust systems, particularly the cats. I would love to hear a response to that one. Maybe at the very least, get an extended warranty on the cats and mufflers.
Yep. I’m gonna find that out. I’ve dumped at least 40-50 additional quarts in this thing other than oil changes so the cats have to be suffering. I doubt they last 80k.

Lil Blu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350
Wow !! What excuse did they use for denying warranty? There are many cases of these things ticking after the first oil change.
The service writer told me that. I asked to speak to the service manager I was dealing with. Well, he was let go that morning. I spoke with the new service manager and ended up down there 45 minutes later. They basically accuse me of hiding something. They said They would contact Ford today but, I've not heard back from anyone.

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
The service writer told me that. I asked to speak to the service manager I was dealing with. Well, he was let go that morning. I spoke with the new service manager and ended up down there 45 minutes later. They basically accuse me of hiding something. They said They would contact Ford today but, I've not heard back from anyone.
Go to another dealer, don't waste your time with a dealer that has no idea what they are talking about.

RJay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - K1393
Can't make stuff like this up.
My nightmare started almost 4 weeks ago while doing my 1st oil change. The car is a 2018 bought NEW in March of his year. It has 1659 miles on it. I followed the break-in schedule and have never tracked or raced the car. I had planned to change the oil at 1500 miles but, did a little road trip and ended up at 1659. I proceeded with the oil change and discovered the stem broke in the filter housing. The actual broke piece was lodged in the stem check valve. I went to my local dealer to get a replacement housing. The housing can not be ordered because of apparent redesign. The entire aluminum apparatus that the housing screws in to, must be replaced.
Had the car towed in. The initial part sent was wrong. The sending unit lead wouldn't reach. The second part sent wouldn't work because of something with the sending unit. I was told they were in contact with Ford about a remedy. I called Ford Friday in order to get a case opened and to also voice my concern for parts not being available. Yesterday I got a call telling me that there was a rattle in the engine and it wouldn't be covered under warranty. After I got over the initial shock, I got furious. I assured them the car ran fine when parked for the oil change. I'm taking an oil sample to them this morning.
This design is a problem.
GT350 oil.jpg
GT350 oil2.jpg
I have seen that exact picture somewhere on this forum. That plastic tab breaking off into that spring assembly.

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
That fucking sucks. In other news, after sitting at the dealer for a month, they just NOW took the motor apart to take pics yesterday. It’s like it takes a week for them to do one thing. Here I am two weeks after telling me they want to take it apart to send pics to ford, and they haven’t really done anything. How are other people getting their motor replaced over ten days and my car has been at the dealer for two months out of the past three?
Man, it seems like it's something about these ATL dealerships or something. I had zero issues with my tune and exhaust in NOLA. Not one time did they ever blame it -- not once throughout the trans, clutch, PCM, or 5 back-to-back alternator replacements. Come out here, get my oil changed, engine dies a week later and the tune is the blame.

Sadly, we're going on two months for my car now. I had to reach out to an attorney and now it's just a waiting game.

Ridiculous!!!

I just want my car back. I’m watching videos like a child dreaming about a car I own
I know the feeling man. Don't want any other car, don't want to swap, just want my car exactly the way it is, but in working condition, lol. It's gotten to the point to where I haven't even watched any GT500 videos. My excitement and passion for mustangs have just been completely shattered due to this situation. Never thought I'd be saying that, but here we are.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Can't make stuff like this up.
My nightmare started almost 4 weeks ago while doing my 1st oil change. The car is a 2018 bought NEW in March of his year. It has 1659 miles on it. I followed the break-in schedule and have never tracked or raced the car. I had planned to change the oil at 1500 miles but, did a little road trip and ended up at 1659. I proceeded with the oil change and discovered the stem broke in the filter housing. The actual broke piece was lodged in the stem check valve. I went to my local dealer to get a replacement housing. The housing can not be ordered because of apparent redesign. The entire aluminum apparatus that the housing screws in to, must be replaced.
Had the car towed in. The initial part sent was wrong. The sending unit lead wouldn't reach. The second part sent wouldn't work because of something with the sending unit. I was told they were in contact with Ford about a remedy. I called Ford Friday in order to get a case opened and to also voice my concern for parts not being available. Yesterday I got a call telling me that there was a rattle in the engine and it wouldn't be covered under warranty. After I got over the initial shock, I got furious. I assured them the car ran fine when parked for the oil change. I'm taking an oil sample to them this morning.
This design is a problem.
GT350 oil.jpg
GT350 oil2.jpg

How is that tab braking off - too much force when removing or reinstalling??

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
where exactly is that tab?

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I know the feeling man. Don't want any other car, don't want to swap, just want my car exactly the way it is, but in working condition, lol. It's gotten to the point to where I haven't even watched any GT500 videos. My excitement and passion for mustangs have just been completely shattered due to this situation. Never thought I'd be saying that, but here we are.
reading that honestly makes me sad

EuroKllr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Ford approved my engine replacement but won't even consider looking at the exhaust system. Also, no additional warranty on the drive train, so I'm bummed about that.

Big Ernie McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2021 Charger Scat Pack, 2013 Silverado
It really sucks hearing about all of these engine issues. There is no way I would do any mod related to the engine. I just added 1 quart at 2700 miles and that was my first time adding oil. I don't have a problem adding oil occasionally. I hope it doesn't get worse. If anything we have 5 years to decide how the motor will hold up. I would like us to keep the car for a long time.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
They finally approved my motor replacement and it’s on order. Wonder why they aren’t giving owners extended warranties anymore. What’s the best way to get one?