Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

EuroKllr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Over the past 3 months I've done 4 oil consumption tests thru my local Ford dealer. Each 500-mile test resulted in excessive oil consumption (1 quart per 100 miles). Dealer is telling me it will take them another 1-2 weeks to get approval from Ford for new motor, and then another month to schedule the install, and THEN about a week to complete the work. Does this sound like the normal warranty process?

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Well, I'm starting to have some hope. I just ran across at least 4 people today on here and the FB group that had replaced engines with exhaust + tune. One guy had a whipple and still had his engine replaced under warranty. So, we'll see how things go next week. I'm not sure if it's just my luck with a shitty dealership, or if it's really the Ford inspector that's having the final say on all of this.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Ok so now the finally saw oil on a plug while passing a compression test. So now they don’t know if they should replace the valve train or the whole engine. Fingers crossed. Ford must be tired of replacing these long blocks.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Ok so now the finally saw oil on a plug while passing a compression test. So now they don’t know if they should replace the valve train or the whole engine. Fingers crossed. Ford must be tired of replacing these long blocks.
I don't think they allow engine work at the dealership, they just pull the motor and swap the entire thing as if it were a computer module. Plug and play. lol

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
I thought as a rule they don't service components on Voodoo motors <shrug>

Edit - hadn't hit update (what Adam said).

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I know right? Smh! Will be waiting to hear what goes on with yours man. Consulted a lawyer now that Ford is ignoring me and getting the wheels going in this direction.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I don't think they allow engine work at the dealership, they just pull the motor and swap the entire thing as if it were a computer module. Plug and play. lol
i thought the same thing, but apparently they are changing the flow for meeting the criteria for an engine replacement. I’ve heard everything from valve train, possibly short block, and finally long block. Of course when I finally get them to be sensible about my oil consumption issues a year later, now they want to complicate the process. If only my valve system is replaced, I’ll probably move on from this car. I really like it... even though they say there’s no scoring on the walls, it rattles like dishes in a clothes washer when it’s cold (<200), and I can’t get it over 180 degrees for 3-4 months a year without driving like stole it. I’m tired of the run around. Give me a new engine or another car.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just an FYI to major component replacements covered under 3/36 and 5/60 warranty.

Usually the criteria for replacing a major component such as an engine is based on cost to replace. Meaning if the cost to repair is within $X, the repair will be made of course providing the repair is possible (ie: block not ventilated).

IIRC, for engine replacement at a Ford Franchise the threshold is $2,500.00; meaning if the diagnosis was that X needed to be done to fix the engine problem, which would be R&R (cost of parts, fluids, labor, etc.) and that repair would exceed $2,500.00, then it qualifies for a replacement.

Everything comes down to cost and efficiency. The Ford Franchise isn’t going to tie up bays for weeks at a time due to extensive repairs; that’s time and money lost. Their goal isn’t only to fix the problem and satisfy the customer, but to get the vehicle in/out in a timely manner (when possible and dependent on available parts or assemblies) to keep turning daily profit.

So there’s protocols called out in internal docs that outlines cost of repair vs cost of replacement.

Even though there is an outlined threshold, there are still steps and processes that need to go through approvals after the initial diagnosis.

Not every engine issue requires a replacement - but if the tally of labor and parts exceeds that threshold - a replacement is authorized.

This not only applies to engines, but major components such as the transmission and rear differential. If it cost less to pull & replace entire assembly, rather than sourcing multiple components, putzing around for hours or weeks, that is an option based on the documented threshold and approvals.

:wink:

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Just an FYI to major component replacements covered under 3/36 and 5/60 warranty.

Usually the criteria for replacing a major component such as an engine is based on cost to replace. Meaning if the cost to repair is within $X, the repair will be made of course providing the repair is possible (ie: block not ventilated).

IIRC, for engine replacement at a Ford Franchise the threshold is $2,500.00; meaning if the diagnosis was that X needed to be done to fix the engine problem, which would be R&R (cost of parts, fluids, labor, etc.) and that repair would exceed $2,500.00, then it qualifies for a replacement.

Everything comes down to cost and efficiency. The Ford Franchise isn’t going to tie up bays for weeks at a time due to extensive repairs; that’s time and money lost. Their goal isn’t only to fix the problem and satisfy the customer, but to get the vehicle in/out in a timely manner (when possible and dependent on available parts or assemblies) to keep turning daily profit.

So there’s protocols called out in internal docs that outlines cost of repair vs cost of replacement.

Even though there is an outlined threshold, there are still steps and processes that need to go through approvals after the initial diagnosis.

Not every engine issue requires a replacement - but if the tally of labor and parts exceeds that threshold - a replacement is authorized.

This not only applies to engines, but major components such as the transmission and rear differential. If it cost less to pull & replace entire assembly, rather than sourcing multiple components, putzing around for hours or weeks, that is an option based on the documented threshold and approvals.

I'm not sure that's entirely the case with the Voodoo's because they were not allowing the dealers to even open them up (with only a few random exceptions, which were probably techs just diving in without approval). I think in the case of the Voodoos, there was more at play than dollars and cents. I think factors like that the engine is totally unique and a bit of a flag ship display of engineering for Ford, and that they are hand built, all leads them to want to keep a lid on any potential problems that could be the result of flawed design. Other than that, your statement above makes total sense (although, $2,500 seems pretty low a threshold to me, but what do I know, I sell insurance for a living ;-) )

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Yes, the Voodoo engine does not follow that train of repair thought process in any manner.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

I suspect part of the equation (maybe baked into what you mention) is likelihood an average dealer gets it right the first time. My new '89 had a trans problem. Sometimes would not go into gear (thankfully easily duplicated). In an attempt to provide clues I mentioned the shifter did not return to center when released and not in gear. Should have known that was a shiny distraction and they waxed lengthy about how that was normal. After getting them to forget about that, they rebuilt the trans. It was even worse then. So they rebuilt it again. Hard to say if it was worse because it had different problems this time. Then Ford shipped them a new trans to install and it worked perfectly. Except................... the shifter returned to center when released. So, I jerked them around for a day with their written statement that they weren't supposed to do that. LoL

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I suspect part of the equation (maybe baked into what you mention) is likelihood an average dealer gets it right the first time. My new '89 had a trans problem. Sometimes would not go into gear (thankfully easily duplicated). In an attempt to provide clues I mentioned the shifter did not return to center when released and not in gear. Should have known that was a shiny distraction and they waxed lengthy about how that was normal. After getting them to forget about that, they rebuilt the trans. It was even worse then. So they rebuilt it again. LoL
that’s how I feel. If they just replace the valve system, I’m done. A patient of mine hit my 13 s4 in the parking lot. It spent 11 months getting repaired and there were countless issues with it. I found new problems every other day. Just got rid of it. Ugh.

Matthew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Leadfoot Grey GT350
Question, when will the MY20 GT500 block be for sure the block used for warrenty replacement? Car is burning oil fairly bad again but would hold out for the Godzilla block for sure. This car has been a roller coaster of emotion but is too damn fun to drive. Especially with the MGW shifter (most recent upgrade). Highly recommend btw.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
All 19 motors share the new block and other goodies. When my 18 got a new motor it’s a 19 version.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Question, when will the MY20 GT500 block be for sure the block used for warrenty replacement? Car is burning oil fairly bad again but would hold out for the Godzilla block for sure. This car has been a roller coaster of emotion but is too damn fun to drive. Especially with the MGW shifter (most recent upgrade). Highly recommend btw.
apparently all new motors are 19R versions. I’ll let you know when they finally put my motor in. This EcoBoost loaner F150 hauls ass.