Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Thats good to hear. I'm heavily considering doing an E85 tune but the possibility of voiding the warranty on the motor has kept me from doing it so far.
I was planning on going boost if I'd ever gotten 5k miles on my car without any issues. Since getting the car with 8 miles, I've never been able to meet that goal just yet. Glad I didn't blow the money on it, lol.

Droopy1592

Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Yep. Ridiculous. Saw someone else here mention that one of the dealerships here was full of BS, so I hope it's not the one mine is at. Hoping things go well for you man. My car is getting traded in the minute I get the keys. This is the last straw.
It was probably me with the whole “it’s only a half a quart down” after 325 miles when it was actually around 2.5. Apparently a tech that’s been doing it for 17 years knows better than me how to read a dipstick and will be the same idiot changing my motor.

If I didn’t love the beast so much I’d trade it in for an M2 tomorrow.

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
It was probably me with the whole “it’s only a half a quart down” after 325 miles when it was actually around 2.5. Apparently a tech that’s been doing it for 17 years knows better than me how to read a dipstick and will be the same idiot changing my motor.

If I didn’t love the beast so much I’d trade it in for an M2 tomorrow.
Yup!! Lol. Did it happen to be at... Ford Mall of Georgia?

I can definitely understand that man. My car has been towed 4 times in addition to the issues I've had and I still haven't given up until this very last situation. I've had 5 alternators, a new trans, new clutch, new PCM, 2 failed AC compressors, and now possibly this. Many of those issues required multiple dealership visits, especially the transmission. Took them months of me bringing it back for them to diagnose it, until 5th gear just eventually gave out. It's really tough to get rid of the car when I traded in my '15 boosted GT vert for it and thought it was the perfect car for me. This last situation has been a nightmare though between the out-of-pocket costs on top of the note, downtime waiting on tow, etc. Not sure I can deal with this yet again :(. I love the car more than anything else on the streets, but no longer trust it to remain reliable.

Droopy1592

Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Yup!! Lol. Did it happen to be at... Ford Mall of Georgia?

I can definitely understand that man. My car has been towed 4 times in addition to the issues I've had and I still haven't given up until this very last situation. I've had 5 alternators, a new trans, new clutch, new PCM, 2 failed AC compressors, and now possibly this. Many of those issues required multiple dealership visits, especially the transmission. Took them months of me bringing it back for them to diagnose it, until 5th gear just eventually gave out. It's really tough to get rid of the car when I traded in my '15 boosted GT vert for it and thought it was the perfect car for me. This last situation has been a nightmare though between the out-of-pocket costs on top of the note, downtime waiting on tow, etc. Not sure I can deal with this yet again :(. I love the car more than anything else on the streets, but no longer trust it to remain reliable.
Hennessy on Peachtree industrial. If there are problems with the new motor, I’m going M2 or used GTR

DCShelby

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Leadfoot Grey
The replacement 19 R motors seem to be doing well. Mine is great and it’s got over 10k miles on it and uses little oil.

Droopy1592

Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The replacement 19 R motors seem to be doing well. Mine is great and it’s got over 10k miles on it and uses little oil.
I fucking hope so. This is the first out of 11 cars I actually want to keep long term.

DCShelby

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Leadfoot Grey
I suggest you also get the updated rear cylinder block plate put in, so you don’t get the metal trash bag sound. It’s only 40 dollars for the part and if the engine is out, it’s a no brainer to have it put in.

cdh027

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350, 2018 z06
I suggest you also get the updated rear cylinder block plate put in, so you don’t get the metal trash bag sound. It’s only 40 dollars for the part and if the engine is out, it’s a no brainer to have it put in.
Do the 2019's already have this?

AdamIsAdam

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
WHAT is this?

Cobra Jet

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Droopy1592

Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Does everyone that has their motor replaced have this issue?

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Well, to my surprise, the dealership was completely OK with the tune and didn't believe it had anything to do with the engine failure. However, the Ford inspector came in and immediately just blamed the mods. According to the dealership, their statement was just simply along the lines of "We're not getting involved due to the modifications" , so it doesn't even sound like they investigated what exactly caused it. I have an extensive repair history (probably more than anyone in this forum) so I'm curious to see how this goes. I believe there's one more pending review on Ford's end.

What's confusing to me is why they would go through all of this if they will just blame aftermarket exhaust and a tune (to clear the CEL from no cats, nothing more or less).

Will keep you guys posted.

Bcobb85

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Well, to my surprise, the dealership was completely OK with the tune and didn't believe it had anything to do with the engine failure. However, the Ford inspector came in and immediately just blamed the mods. According to the dealership, their statement was just simply along the lines of "We're not getting involved due to the modifications" , so it doesn't even sound like they investigated what exactly caused it. I have an extensive repair history (probably more than anyone in this forum) so I'm curious to see how this goes. I believe there's one more pending review on Ford's end.

What's confusing to me is why they would go through all of this if they will just blame aftermarket exhaust and a tune (to clear the CEL from no cats, nothing more or less).

Will keep you guys posted.
I’ve got catless downpipes (w/02 extenders to avoid a CEL) and as bad as I want to add a tune to take full advantage of the cat deletes, this exact scenario is what keeps me away...Ford using it as a free pass to avoid any repair/replacement. Sorry to hear man, I’m very interested in how this turns out.

AdamIsAdam

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I don't think a tune is worth the risk based on two things:

1) warranty risk, unless you are comfortable with the real possibility of warranty claim rejection (nearly $30k), and
2) from what others have posted after speaking with Ford engineers, this motor won't benefit that much with a tune since it's almost at the brink from the factory. I get it, that if you want headers and no cats that you'll need a tune to maximize that and to avoid CEL, but it seems to me that the benefits in terms of power are minimal. Supercharger? SURE, but just tuning for power, probably not worth the risk unless, well, see #1 above ;-)

Personally, I'm a hot rodder, but I'm leaving this drive train stock during my 8 year warranty period. Then I'll decide whether to sell or supercharge! lol
But the OEM exhaust is possibly the best sounding OEM ever. Car and Driver said it's THE loudest ever tested (tied with 911 GT3RS as I recall).

Just my $.02.

Rubyred17

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I’ve got catless downpipes (w/02 extenders to avoid a CEL) and as bad as I want to add a tune to take full advantage of the cat deletes, this exact scenario is what keeps me away...Ford using it as a free pass to avoid any repair/replacement. Sorry to hear man, I’m very interested in how this turns out.

So this begs a question that I have been wondering about if a warranty is voided or when Ford runs out of engines after the 350 production run., Who is rebuilding these and where do you source better parts from?

5 SPURS - 1