Sponsored

Recommendations on Open Tilt Car Trailer, Please.

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2019 F150 King Ranch
I’ve posted before with regard to recommendations for enclosed race trailers and received a lot of fantastic information from the forum members. Thank you!
Not wanting to bite-off more than a can chew, I’ve started thinking that maybe a good first step would be to consider an open trailer. Tilt trailers look interesting due to possible ease of loading...Maybe. If anyone with open trailer experience could comment on the following:
1. Are tilt trailers worth it? Do they provide a low enough approach/clearance for the front splitter? Are additional ramps needed?
2. what size to consider? 16,18,20?
3. Pros/Cons
Pros: low cost, easy tie-down, access for loading, can better pull with my F-150, easier to store, Other?
Cons: limited storage other than car, security, exposed to elements, no cover at the track, no camping, Other?
4. Would a non-tilt be better?
Budget isn’t a concern, just looking for the right solution for a first time hauler who is fairly new to the sport.
Figure I can always trade up as I get more towing experience.
Thanks!!
Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Look up Timpte and Jimglo. Those are the two I am leaning towards this spring, probably 18' or 20'. I believe the Timpte you don't need race ramps, but the Jimglo you will need race ramps. You could do 16', and there is "enough" room, but if you want to haul anything on the trailer, you are going to find it a tight fit.

Definitely get the rock guard, winch, and front tool box. After that, I think everything else is a luxury. I am sure there is one or two features that should probably be required, but those are the big ones.

nbjeeptj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Before my enclosed I had a Aluma 18' tilt https://www.alumaklm.com/8200-tilt-tandem-utility-trailers . I was pulling my car with a Chevy Colorado back then so the light weight trailer was nice. I sold it when I got an enclosed. It was the best option for getting my car to the track to date. If it were not for needing to sleep in the trailer some I would still have the open tilt deck. It was easy to pull, easy to tie car down, and easy to load and unload the car.

With this trailer I had to put 2x8's flat on the ground and drive the front tires on those to just slightly lift the splitter up to clear the ramp of the trailer.

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car
Obviously cost is always a consideration, but in my opinion it’s all about approach angle and features. My buddies and I have been searching for a trailer for a little while. We currently tow our “race” car with a borrowed trailer from a friend. The approach angle is too steep, and loading and unloading is a horrendous pain in the ass.

We’ve used wood cut offs, ramps, etc to help, but we have to be careful not to hook the exhaust flanges when the car is half way on/off.

Again, just my opinion, but lower is better, as it helps keep the approach angle more gradual.

This is my CV which is 2” lower than stock, and still sits probably 1/2-1” higher than my Mach 1. We barely get this thing on and off the trailer (have to put 2x4 under the front tires to clear the exhaust, and we usually catch the front bumper cover on the ramps.) No way a Mustang Is getting on and off without damage.

4B62E035-74CE-438F-A195-F00E72EFAD69.jpeg

nbjeeptj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Obviously cost is always a consideration, but in my opinion it’s all about approach angle and features. My buddies and I have been searching for a trailer for a little while. We currently tow our “race” car with a borrowed trailer from a friend. The approach angle is too steep, and loading and unloading is a horrendous pain in the ass.

We’ve used wood cut offs, ramps, etc to help, but we have to be careful not to hook the exhaust flanges when the car is half way on/off.

Again, just my opinion, but lower is better, as it helps keep the approach angle more gradual.

This is my CV which is 2” lower than stock, and still sits probably 1/2-1” higher than my Mach 1. We barely get this thing on and off the trailer (have to put 2x4 under the front tires to clear the exhaust, and we usually catch the front bumper cover on the ramps.) No way a Mustang Is getting on and off without damage.

4B62E035-74CE-438F-A195-F00E72EFAD69.jpeg
I think that a tilt trailer will have a better approach angle than most trailers with ramps. Length will help with this equation also. The longer you go it should make the angle better.

Sponsored

Kmp013

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 1990 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 4X4 1971 Chevrolet C20
OP
OP
Holmes

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve posted before with regard to recommendations for enclosed race trailers and received a lot of fantastic information from the forum members. Thank you!
Not wanting to bite-off more than a can chew, I’ve started thinking that maybe a good first step would be to consider an open trailer. Tilt trailers look interesting due to possible ease of loading...Maybe. If anyone with open trailer experience could comment on the following:
1. Are tilt trailers worth it? Do they provide a low enough approach/clearance for the front splitter? Are additional ramps needed?
2. what size to consider? 16,18,20?
3. Pros/Cons
Pros: low cost, easy tie-down, access for loading, can better pull with my F-150, easier to store, Other?
Cons: limited storage other than car, security, exposed to elements, no cover at the track, no camping, Other?
4. Would a non-tilt be better?
Budget isn’t a concern, just looking for the right solution for a first time hauler who is fairly new to the sport.
Figure I can always trade up as I get more towing experience.
Thanks!!
OP - put a deposit down on a Futura Super Sport. Picking it up on 11/30/2022. I think this will work great for a first trailer. Thank you for all the great info!

Whitewalkers550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt premium, 1973 mustang conv.
one of my friends has one of the futura's and it is amazing if i got an open trailer hands down what i would get

Sponsored
OP
OP
Holmes

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is a brand that just popped up on me today. Might be worth looking at.

https://buyfutura.com/pages/blackfr...ncxch6jc6OaRNwiSka5vzfPVCqvjEcl-InJxByfK5GvX8
Thanks for the info. I took a look at the website and videos. Put a deposit down on one yesterday and hope to pick-up today. Also spoke with a couple of folks that have these Futura trailers and they absolutely love them due to ease of use and build quality. I’ll report back once mine is in the driveway and give my review. Only down side I see so far is that they are a little pricey. I’m betting that you get what you pay for In this case. If it truly is as easy to load and tie down, then it will be worth it. 3 degree load angle. And sooo light weight! Should be no prob with my F-150. Thanks again!

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Thanks for the info. I took a look at the website and videos. Put a deposit down on one yesterday and hope to pick-up today. Also spoke with a couple of folks that have these Futura trailers and they absolutely love them due to ease of use and build quality. I’ll report back once mine is in the driveway and give my review. Only down side I see so far is that they are a little pricey. I’m betting that you get what you pay for In this case. If it truly is as easy to load and tie down, then it will be worth it. 3 degree load angle. And sooo light weight! Should be no prob with my F-150. Thanks again!
Please update this thread once you get to know this trailer. My plan is for a trailer in March, and I had been leaning towards the timpte, but this one might change my mind.

Good luck and congrats on the new trailer!

OP
OP
Holmes

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bought a Futura SuperSport 16.5’. Towing with my F-150 with Max Load Package. So far have done 200 miles back from the dealer (empty). Since the Mustang is in the shop, once back at home, I loaded the Boxster to test the tie-downs and see how the weight was distributed. As she is sitting in the photo, trailer and car are about 4,400 to 4,600 lbs. My hitch has a scale and I positioned the car so there was 500 lbs of Tongue Weight. Before hitting the road I checked the tire pressure and found it to be 33lbs all the way around instead of the 55 lbs recommended. Filled all tires up to 55 lbs and the Tongue weight dropped to just over 400 lbs. There is plenty of room to move the car forward, but I didn’t want to redo all the tie-downs. Drove about 20 miles just to see how it handled. Very stable, good visibility. So far I like it ALOT. I know the Mustang will likely be 700-900 lbs more. Then based on the 10% recommended tongue weight, I’ll be slightly over the 500lbs limit Ford sets before needing a weight distribution hitch. Will only be slightly over the limit. So, not sure if a WDH will really be needed. Will probably go ahead and get a WDH. Comments? Let me know if there are any questions I can answer on the trailer. It’s very cool. Thanks!
06EC5891-3504-47D1-A634-269700888B37.jpeg

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car
Bought a Futura SuperSport 16.5’. Towing with my F-150 with Max Load Package. So far have done 200 miles back from the dealer (empty). Since the Mustang is in the shop, once back at home, I loaded the Boxster to test the tie-downs and see how the weight was distributed. As she is sitting in the photo, trailer and car are about 4,400 to 4,600 lbs. My hitch has a scale and I positioned the car so there was 500 lbs of Tongue Weight. Before hitting the road I checked the tire pressure and found it to be 33lbs all the way around instead of the 55 lbs recommended. Filled all tires up to 55 lbs and the Tongue weight dropped to just over 400 lbs. There is plenty of room to move the car forward, but I didn’t want to redo all the tie-downs. Drove about 20 miles just to see how it handled. Very stable, good visibility. So far I like it ALOT. I know the Mustang will likely be 700-900 lbs more. Then based on the 10% recommended tongue weight, I’ll be slightly over the 500lbs limit Ford sets before needing a weight distribution hitch. Will only be slightly over the limit. So, not sure if a WDH will really be needed. Will probably go ahead and get a WDH. Comments? Let me know if there are any questions I can answer on the trailer. It’s very cool. Thanks!
06EC5891-3504-47D1-A634-269700888B37.jpeg
When I first saw the photo I thought, wait it’s loaded backwards, that’s too much weight on the rear. Then I remembered the Boxster is mid-engine. :crackup:

Nice set up, really like the trailer.

TrackRat350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
i recently bought a primo aluminum open trailer and added a aluminum tool box on nose to contain winch/battery. The trailer has a dove tail with 7 degree angle and the ramps double as rock protection on front of trailer. I use the provided ramps with my low angle race ramps and my 2019 gt350 goes on with absolutely no issue.. I bought the primo brand new for 7.5k after looking at many other aluminum trailers at twice the price (ie: Futura). Good luck
Sponsored