Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
For those with offset front tow hooks, have you tried winching into your trailer with it and did it pull straight enough to not need someone steering? I'll be using an enclosed trailer, can't open the doors to get out once inside, and can't build ramp overs because I need it for hauling bikes also.

I want to center the winch in the trailer floor, but I can always use a small snatch block to a D ring on the floor to offset the cable to the side, in-line with the offset tow hook, but it still might make it steer to the left just not sure how bad.

If I install a centered tow hook it solves the problem but it will interfere with the front plate bracket already screwed into the bumper (thanks VA).
Sponsored

valenzanowine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ABV
Vehicle(s)
Cayman S
For those with offset front tow hooks, have you tried winching into your trailer with it and did it pull straight enough to not need someone steering? I'll be using an enclosed trailer, can't open the doors to get out once inside, and can't build ramp overs because I need it for hauling bikes also.

I want to center the winch in the trailer floor, but I can always use a small snatch block to a D ring on the floor to offset the cable to the side, in-line with the offset tow hook, but it still might make it steer to the left just not sure how bad.

If I install a centered tow hook it solves the problem but it will interfere with the front plate bracket already screwed into the bumper (thanks VA).

did you ever get an answer to this? I'm looking to install a winch on my open car trailer to load my car. Tow hook is far off center. Not sure what to expect.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
I do this all the time being racecar only. Just winch it up. problem you watch for is how the line goes back on the drum. You need to guide the rope just like guides on a good baitcast fishing reel for level winding on of the line. You will always ned to steer a bit even if you pull dead center of the bumper. A straight on or off angle pull does not matter.

valenzanowine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ABV
Vehicle(s)
Cayman S
I do this all the time being racecar only. Just winch it up. problem you watch for is how the line goes back on the drum. You need to guide the rope just like guides on a good baitcast fishing reel for level winding on of the line. You will always ned to steer a bit even if you pull dead center of the bumper. A straight on or off angle pull does not matter.
thank you, as a newcomer to loading race cars, it seems to me that using a winch to load a vehicle is a safer option than driving it on the trailer if I'm solo and don't have an extra set of eyes.
Sponsored