Sponsored

Rear Upper Shock Mounts

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
My thinking at the moment is, wait. The rear upper shock mount is the easiest single suspension piece to change so there is no reason that it has to be done together with anything else. If one of the current choices were a standout to me, it would be on my car, but none stands out as "perfect" in my eyes.
As I see it, they all offer less restricted movement, that's great but I don't know that this makes a huge difference on the street. For track use, every little bit helps, but that's not how I use my car. How much movement does this pivot point ever see? A couple degrees?
Clearly, the factory designed this as a sacrificial failure point. I'd like to retain that function. BMR clearly went too far with their original design, I'll be interested to see how the revised version works out. The others all claim to be stronger than stock. How much stronger and how much is too much?
I have no use for the additional clearance most of them offer, I don't expect to ever run anything wider than a 285/35-19. YMMV on this one.
What I would like is a little extra travel. I'm only a half inch lower than stock but I wouldn't mind getting that half inch back. I'm keeping an eye on the revised BMR and the J&M, I'd like to hear from a few users with a few thousand miles on them. OTOH, I'd be surprised if Steeda doesn't come up with something that adds that travel in the near future. For now, I'm gonna wait. I have other mods I can do while I'm waiting.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like to hear from a few users with a few thousand miles on them
I have over 10k miles on the original BMR. Many autocrosses, track events and DDing. No cracks or anything. They were revised to get additional wheel clearance...that's straight from the people who worked on the change. Current rep doesn't seem to have a great handle on this or much else. I'm not going to bash people but there are reasons why they failed on certain users cars. See the problem on this one? People need to stop the scare tactics.
received_2431757617095876.jpeg

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Any mount, except stock, will remove the sacrificial portion. No aftermarket mount keeps this design.

Proper bump stops are imperative. be mindful and avoid large pot holes and abrupt intrusions in the road surface or slow down when crossing them

Sponsored

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
J&M mount here. Feel great to me and the extra clearance (to help my 345s) are gravy

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
No complaints with my Steeda mounts.....

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase

Jobodizo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT
Vehicle Showcase
I was one of the ones that had some knocking from my passenger rear mount. Apparently there was a bad batch of spherical bearings and most of the issues happened during a certain production lot. To their credit, Steeda immediately shipped out a replacement mount and sent me a label to return the original. Can't ask for better customer service than that.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
I was one of the ones that had some knocking from my passenger rear mount. Apparently there was a bad batch of spherical bearings and most of the issues happened during a certain production lot. To their credit, Steeda immediately shipped out a replacement mount and sent me a label to return the original. Can't ask for better customer service than that.
I'll do one better about Steeda.

I bought my Rear mounts and FR shocks used. I couldn't get one of them installed because I think the bearing was seized. I tired to disassembled them but the nut insert was stripped. They sent me a new mount and Steeda shock with a very good discount.

I updated my first post. I forget I put Steeda shocks in the rear and FRPP struts in the front. haha

Sponsored

Tuxedomouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Grabber Blue Premium PP
4 months on my BMR mounts with the stock uncut bumpstops and I can't remember even maxing out the travel enough to hit them yet. With no bumpstops like the guy that ripped out the threads, you're gonna have a bad time. I talked to a Bilstein engineer (a friend of mine) before I installed them, he said he couldn't see how I'd ever have a problem with my setup, since the additional height would give the factory bump stops plenty of time to dissipate the energy from a pothole event. Good enough for me.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Are you saying these alone got rid of the bounce?
An upgraded mount that replaces the bushing with a bearing does significantly reduce the bounciness of the rear suspension.

KellTrac

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kelltrac.com
Vehicle(s)
All of them
An upgraded mount that replaces the bushing with a bearing does significantly reduce the bounciness of the rear suspension.
Yep. Although small...there is a "dead zone" where the shock is not doing its job due to the deflection within the stock mounting system. "Bounce" from the stock mounts is amplified and much more noticeable on PP cars or cars that have stiffer than stock "base" spring rates.

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
Yep. Although small...there is a "dead zone" where the shock is not doing its job due to the deflection within the stock mounting system. "Bounce" from the stock mounts is amplified and much more noticeable on PP cars or cars that have stiffer than stock "base" spring rates.
This is why I'll be getting some Steeda shock mounts later in the year. The bounce is very, bouncy on certain bumps. This thread is full of great info and knowledge.
Sponsored