Rear Upper Shock Mounts

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Rocking the BMR mounts on my car. No issues aside from not tightening the jam nut to the rod end tight enough which @BmacIL promptly pointed out to me which was the issue. :)
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I figured I'd give some positive feedback on the BMR shock mounts. I had the very first set installed, original design and 13,000+ miles of DD, autocross, and track, often on far from perfect roads. I also drive the car quite hard all the time. Bumpstops were trimmed from when I had OEM mounts. They were used with Ford Performance Track shocks and BMR SP085 handling springs, 980 lb/in. I just changed to a coilover setup, but upon inspection, I saw exactly what I expected: dirty but absolutely zero cracks or signs of structural damage.

This is a PSA: do not fear using these mounts. With adequate travel and bumpstops, you will not have an issue. All failures of the mount area can be attributed to abuse in one way or another.
20200309_090010.jpg

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
That's a goodly amount of flaking though and the surface doesn't look remotely flat. (not blaming the mount)
Maybe take a metal file and get things back on-plane?

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
Bmac

I have not done my homework. Why are oem bumpstops cut and by how much? I'm guessing for more shock travel as long as chassis not lowered too much?

I'm ready to install these Thursday.
20200309_085228.jpg

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That's a goodly amount of flaking though and the surface doesn't look remotely flat. (not blaming the mount)
Maybe take a metal file and get things back on-plane?
I did, but the picture makes it look much worse than it was. The surface has "grit" as formed, so that the shock mount does not slip. Most of what you're seeing is salt and road grime build-up.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Bmac

I have not done my homework. Why are oem bumpstops cut and by how much? I'm guessing for more shock travel as long as chassis not lowered too much?

I'm ready to install these Thursday.
20200309_085228.jpg
I trimmed them 0.5" when I installed the BMR rear springs. Half from above the plastic ring, half from below.

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I trimmed them 0.5" when I installed the BMR rear springs. Half from above the plastic ring, half from below.
i never thought to separate the trimming like that. was there a reason? more of the 'softer' portion left intact maybe?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Tuxedomouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Grabber Blue Premium PP
That's another good thing about the BMR rear mounts is the extra travel. I'm running the same rear springs as Bmac, except with the Bilstein B6's, and I didn't trim the factory bumpstops. Can't recall ever even feeling any contact back there, but knowing if I did, the full bumpstop is there to help decelerate that type of movement

Sponsored

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
I'm going pretty low I think, since I'm a racecar. I'm thinking about removing the BS completely. If my shocks are setup right I should have the travel there. Having BS come in completely negates all the good you invested in.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm thinking about removing the BS completely.
That's why I sourced the Eibach units and cut them in half (3->1.5") or might go even shorter. If I'm hitting them at all it's because I hit one hell of a bump and managed to blow thru most of the stroke. IMO they should only be a last-ditch device to soften the spike in energy transfer to the mount.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going pretty low I think, since I'm a racecar. I'm thinking about removing the BS completely. If my shocks are setup right I should have the travel there. Having BS come in completely negates all the good you invested in.
And having no bumpstops puts you in a situation that you could rip the mounts out...

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
those springs look awful short. what diameter? 2"? Rate?
The kit looks like the Vorshlag MCS TT2 one and in the pic you can see the front springs are 600lb or GTS package rate. Can't tell from the pic what the rear spring rate is but if it is the GTS kit then it would be 750lb. Vorshlag says 60mm front springs and 2.25" rears. Probably 6" long at each end.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
And having no bumpstops puts you in a situation that you could rip the mounts out...
Yes but only if you run out of travel and bottom. That's part of what racers do is test and develop to go faster. If that 2" BS takes up travel that you still have in your suspension and you hit those stops you go slower. You can't do things like get the power down right because you loose grip on the BS.
Sponsored