Sponsored

Random Aero Idea

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Regardless of what you're planning to do, or what you think will be helpful, Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFT) is an INCREDIBLY complex and difficult to master engineering discipline. Simply bolting something on your car because someone else sells it, or cutting out a large chunk of bumper section, can have serious adverse effects at speed.

JR
Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Not that I have a diff cooler, but would removing the rear lower valance negatively affect a diff cooler effectiveness? I'm pretty certain the answer would be no but wanted to ask before I start cutting away. (Either gt350 style diff cooler or FTB style)
It's really tough to say. I've done enough aero testing to know each case has its own set of compromises. Sorry for the non-answer, but it's the only honest one I know.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Regardless of what you're planning to do, or what you think will be helpful, Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFT) is an INCREDIBLY complex and difficult to master engineering discipline. Simply bolting something on your car because someone else sells it, or cutting out a large chunk of bumper section, can have serious adverse effects at speed.

JR
Bolting on or cutting off chunks off your car is exactly what happens when you're in a wind tunnel. Regardless of what you read, F-1 is the only place where you'll see decisions based off CFD (Can't F'ing Decide) and that's only because they have the ability to do extensive model validation. For everyone else, it's an elaborate 'back of the napkin'.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
It's really tough to say. I've done enough aero testing to know each case has its own set of compromises. Sorry for the non-answer, but it's the only honest one I know.
I know the best thing to do is get the Versus diffuser but thought this chopping of the bumper would get some marginal aero benefit for zero dollars. Gotta ball on a budget so to speak

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I know the best thing to do is get the Versus diffuser but thought this chopping of the bumper would get some marginal aero benefit for zero dollars. Gotta ball on a budget so to speak
Judging from the pics, you want the diffuser between the tires, but nothing behind them.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
That doesn't appear to me to extend far enough forward to do a lot in terms of cleaning up flow, but, again, I don't have any real info. The CFD on the site seems...suspect.

If you want to play around on the cheap, buy some corregated plastic sheet and build yourself a flat floor from forward of the rear cradle and extend it back to the rear valence with as much of an upsweep as you can produce. Secure it with FHCS's and Tinnerman washers.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Buildin...Sheets-Corrugated-Plastic-Sheets/N-5yc1vZcbtu

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
That doesn't appear to me to extend far enough forward to do a lot in terms of cleaning up flow, but, again, I don't have any real info. The CFD on the site seems...suspect.

If you want to play around on the cheap, buy some corregated plastic sheet and build yourself a flat floor from forward of the rear cradle and extend it back to the rear valence with as much of an upsweep as you can produce. Secure it with FHCS's and Tinnerman washers.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Buildin...Sheets-Corrugated-Plastic-Sheets/N-5yc1vZcbtu
Bowing out, thought this was a serious thread...

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Bolting on or cutting off chunks off your car is exactly what happens when you're in a wind tunnel. Regardless of what you read, F-1 is the only place where you'll see decisions based off CFD (Can't F'ing Decide) and that's only because they have the ability to do extensive model validation. For everyone else, it's an elaborate 'back of the napkin'.
That's not even remotely true. CFD is used in all manner of sportscar racing, as well as road vehicle design. Also, the people doing the bolting on and cutting off are CFD experts - engineers who have studied the effects of airflow over various surfaces.

Go learn you something: https://www.iconcfd.com/en/applications/automotive

JR

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
That's not even remotely true. CFD is used in all manner of sportscar racing, as well as road vehicle design. Also, the people doing the bolting on and cutting off are CFD experts - engineers who have studied the effects of airflow over various surfaces.

Go learn you something: https://www.iconcfd.com/en/applications/automotive

JR
Well, I guess I've been told. Chastised twice, no less.

Hey, do what you want. I'm just some random guy on the internet. There's no more reason to listen to me than some dude rambling on about conspiracy theories or aliens.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Hey, just checking. Is everyone else's underside bodywork made out of plastic? Mine is and I'm curious if I'm the only one.

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
Hey, just checking. Is everyone else's underside bodywork made out of plastic? Mine is and I'm curious if I'm the only one.
mine is carbon fiber :p
... but yes, everything was plastic on mine from the factory :)