Sponsored

PPF questions

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
More than 1k?
I wonder how would those stripes look in 10-15 years of normal usage, might need replacing anyway.
I’m hoping with ceramic coating and being garaged, plus a very mild climate here my stripes should last a long time.

Looking at tascaparts.com a full set of 2013 Boss 302 stripes run between $1300-$1800. The center hood stripes run between about $360-$564 (higher being the grey reflective for the LS I believe). The Mach 1 hood stripe looks bigger than the Laguna Seca, has 3 colors and more design to it.
That’s what I was thinking. It’s just a sticker so it shouldn’t cost that much. But it will lol
Sponsored

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
Wow. And some people remove it right after purchase 😁 Guess I'll hope it'll last a looong time before I have to figure out what to do with it.
Yeah, given my history I'd likely sell/trade before I need to worry about it. I'm still torn on keeping my PP2 and trying to be ready to buy one of the last ICE S650 models or maybe one of the first hybrid electric Shelby's or buying a Mach1 next year. Those are conversations for another thread.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Those decals won't come off unless you leave it in the sun for it to crack from being weathered. PPF/Ceramic will just probably extend the life of it even more. If your Mach 1 is in the garage, I don't think you have much to worry about even 10 years down the road if you take care of it.

ACMEguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP 'M3162'
As promised, although slow in coming, are pictures of the hood stripe after my PPF installer finished with it... I had mentioned that he felt that covering the entire hood, including the stripe, with 3M Pro Gloss and then adding a separate piece of 3M Pro Stealth over the section of the hood stripe that was matte would provide the best solution to maintain the factory look while minimizing potential points of failure... The whole car was wrapped in 3M Pro and then entirely ceramic coated (bonus offer) with a 10 year (film) and a 3 year (ceramic) warranty. They also do a follow up inspection 8 weeks after the initial installation to look for issues and repair if needed. They are a good shop with great reviews... All in $ 4,600 CAD, about $ 3,400 USD...
IMG_7487 3.JPG
IMG_7486.JPG
IMG_7481.JPG

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
@ACMEguy Did they do the matte PPF on top right away, or did they wait for the glossy one to mature? I am asking just out of curiosity if they by any chance had an opportunity to observe any problem with the PPF adhesion to the matte surface of the hood sticker?

Otherwise, it seems like the best of the two worlds and a way to go. 👍

Sponsored

ACMEguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP 'M3162'
@ACMEguy Did they do the matte PPF on top right away, or did they wait for the glossy one to mature? I am asking just out of curiosity if they by any chance had an opportunity to observe any problem with the PPF adhesion to the matte surface of the hood sticker?

Otherwise, it seems like the best of the two worlds and a way to go. 👍
The shop had the car for 8 days so it is possible that they delayed the application of the matte section. I can ask. As to adherence issues over the factory stripe? I am not sure, again, they never pointed it out and there is no visual evidence of bubbling under the matte stealth film... I will chat with them tomorrow and provide a more detailed explanation of what they did and how they did it including timing...

OP
OP

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
As promised, although slow in coming, are pictures of the hood stripe after my PPF installer finished with it... I had mentioned that he felt that covering the entire hood, including the stripe, with 3M Pro Gloss and then adding a separate piece of 3M Pro Stealth over the section of the hood stripe that was matte would provide the best solution to maintain the factory look while minimizing potential points of failure... The whole car was wrapped in 3M Pro and then entirely ceramic coated (bonus offer) with a 10 year (film) and a 3 year (ceramic) warranty. They also do a follow up inspection 8 weeks after the initial installation to look for issues and repair if needed. They are a good shop with great reviews... All in $ 4,600 CAD, about $ 3,400 USD...
IMG_7487 3.JPG
IMG_7486.JPG
IMG_7481.JPG
while that is better than many I have seen, where they just went over the matte section with gloss ppf. that is still too glossy of a final finish than I want on this. I want it flatter than my wifes chest.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
Yeah, given my history I'd likely sell/trade before I need to worry about it. I'm still torn on keeping my PP2 and trying to be ready to buy one of the last ICE S650 models or maybe one of the first hybrid electric Shelby's or buying a Mach1 next year. Those are conversations for another thread.
no great answers but not really any wrong ones either.
I opted for a Mach 1 now, and likely whatever the last S650 V8 with a MT. But who knows.

I’m also not 100% convincedthe ICE mustangs will end with the S650 but time will tell.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
that is still too glossy of a final finish than I want on this.
Can't please everyone. This looks great to me as a compromise. I'll rather take the protection and no cuts or joints on the main hood film.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
So I got a quote of $2800 for full front XPEL done (with the hood matte with a manual cut over that), $900 for the rear quarters\A-pillar, $150 for the deck lid. $1400 for 3-year Ceramic (Feynlab) and $650 for ceramic window tint (XPEL). Man prices are high on this stuff but this is also one of the top shops in the Austin area and have very skilled PPF installers/coaters. Didn't imagine almost spending $5,000 to protect it but I don't think I want to get rid of this car either.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
So I got a quote of $2800 for full front XPEL done (with the hood matte with a manual cut over that), $900 for the rear quarters\A-pillar, $150 for the deck lid. $1400 for 3-year Ceramic (Feynlab) and $650 for ceramic window tint (XPEL). Man prices are high on this stuff but this is also one of the top shops in the Austin area and have very skilled PPF installers/coaters. Didn't imagine almost spending $5,000 to protect it but I don't think I want to get rid of this car either.
How much of that number is tax or is that on top of the number you posted?

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
Dang, my local shop is like $1700 for hood, fenders, front bumper cover, mirrors. I doubt it's $900 more to add the matte piece. Maybe. To do the full car is $5000.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Dang, my local shop is like $1700 for hood, fenders, front bumper cover, mirrors. I doubt it's $900 more to add the matte piece. Maybe. To do the full car is $5000.
900 was for the two rear quarter panels additionally.
Sponsored