PPF questions

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
If this is before the PPF, then the highlighted edge looks like it had already a problem before, or was there some sort of protection film on the stripe which started to lift off?

Screenshot_20210808-114401_Gallery_hl.jpg

I have seen three fresh made cars in two different shops (when I was scouting for one here) and while it is true that there might be some bubbles right after the film application, they should disappear (or the detailer makes them disappear) before the PPF dries.

There is also possibility to catch a dust/dirt which will eventually stand out (typically on black or dark paint), but even that is supposed to be without any bubbles and very rare (you have to really make an effort to find and notice one).

Apart from that all three cars I saw were spotless right when they finished them and were ready to be picked up by customers.

Since the defect seems to be localized to the "rough" part of the stripe (the glossy black edge does not have them), it looks like there was either some residuum on that part of the stripe which they did not properly clean up, or the material itself is not suitable for this particular PPF.

Which just makes me ask you again, what PPF brand did you use? My experience I described above was with XPEL Ultimate Plus.
Sponsored

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
Not a fan of how this looks but found this on Youtube, here you go.

I think they did a good job. Understandable not wanting to remove the Mach 1 emblems if replacements aren't readily available. I would probably be OK with the PPF covering the stripes. If I could afford it I'd do the whole car but then again I don't expect the M1 to hold as much value as a Shelby.

OP
OP

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Not a fan of how this looks but found this on Youtube, here you go.

Yeah, definitely think it ruins the look of the car going over the matte section.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
That's a really tough one. I quite like the glossy look. Will have to decide this after I have the car and see how it'd look glossy in person. Protecting the stripes so they don't get scratches or rock chips weighs quite a lot for me.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
That's a really tough one. I quite like the glossy look. Will have to decide this after I have the car and see how it'd look glossy in person. Protecting the stripes so they don't get scratches or rock chips weighs quite a lot for me.
think I'd have a matte piece done over the striping. will cost more to get it done right, thats for sure.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Jimmy Dean But then it's not one big sheet over the hood, two pieces which have edges, dirt will get to them, it could start to peel off etc, I'm not really fond of that idea to have visible edges there for two adjacent pieces.

OP
OP

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
@Jimmy Dean But then it's not one big sheet over the hood, two pieces which have edges, dirt will get to them, it could start to peel off etc, I'm not really fond of that idea to have visible edges there for two adjacent pieces.
I agree, but I do not see any other option taht will still look ok.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Jimmy Dean People are even taking it off, that solves the dilemma, haha.

I think this'll need a look from inside how it'd look matte and glossy too.

I'm booked to detailer on 18th October, hope the car arrives on schedule, haha.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
After some more thinking I think it would be best to put matte PPF on the matte part of the sticker only. I'll see if the detailer can do it. If they could program the plotter to do it for them it'd be really precise work, considering how good the Xpel database is. But not around the whole sticker but only the inner matte part so the glossy part stays glossy. Or do it carefully by hand. I know they can do wonders, they better for that kind of money 😁

It'd look good with matte PPF, I saw M4 they did fully in matte recently.

Sponsored

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
After some more thinking I think it would be best to put matte PPF on the matte part of the sticker only. I'll see if the detailer can do it. If they could program the plotter to do it for them it'd be really precise work, considering how good the Xpel database is. But not around the whole sticker but only the inner matte part so the glossy part stays glossy.
From what I saw as the matte version of the PPF (I am not sure it was XPEL though), I do not think it will look as you might think it will. It is semitransparent and basically hides the texture underneath. Better check it on something before placing the order.

stageron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2559, Lexus NX300
After some more thinking I think it would be best to put matte PPF on the matte part of the sticker only. I'll see if the detailer can do it. If they could program the plotter to do it for them it'd be really precise work, considering how good the Xpel database is. But not around the whole sticker but only the inner matte part so the glossy part stays glossy. Or do it carefully by hand. I know they can do wonders, they better for that kind of money 😁

It'd look good with matte PPF, I saw M4 they did fully in matte recently.

My guy cut around the stripe and was able to butt the PPF up to the stripe. He did it in 2 pieces and left a tiny 1/2 inch seem front dead center. Cant see it unless you're standing on top of it staring at it. He could have done it in 1 piece but would have charged me quite a few hundred dollars more. I'm fine with it. Had the rocker panels done and he covered the side stripes, since they're glossy you barely even notice. Very happy with his work.
IMG_0992.jpeg
IMG_0992 copy.jpeg
IMG_0991.jpeg
IMG_0989.jpeg

OP
OP

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
has anyone done a matte PPF over the hood stripe?

MustangVelocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s some pictures of the area in front of the rear wheels. If you look close you can see the line where the PPF is but in person no one notices it. The section on the hood is impossible to tell it’s there.

56F37F75-69F5-4A79-8170-4AA07BDAF3C4.jpeg

37794694-3DA0-4638-85BB-89EA601BBA25.jpeg

BED940AC-C1E3-472A-944D-2382EEC0B314.jpeg

F0C10363-1F50-4FC4-B663-2A7F0995AB7D.jpeg
You switched out the Cup 2 tirescon your HP wheels? Too many flying pebbles? 😏
Sponsored