OIL FILTER do they loosen

gww52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
GT500
Good luck getting a filter off if the O-ring is dry and the filter is tight.
The filter instructions say to oil the O-ring.
Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Car is starting to get a reputation at the track. Am attending an HPDE this weekend and was asked to clamp and safety wire the filter because they witnessed a filter come loose and the resulting total loss of the car. Everyone was safe though.

My filter is now clamped and safety wired :D

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Mine never moves. I torque it to spec and go a bit over (25-26 NM). I did 5 oil changes, always mark the filter.

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Car is starting to get a reputation at the track. Am attending an HPDE this weekend and was asked to clamp and safety wire the filter because they witnessed a filter come loose and the resulting total loss of the car. Everyone was safe though.

My filter is now clamped and safety wired :D
How is that done?

OP
OP

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
PICS

Sponsored

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Stole someone else's picture.

After installing filter, add a stainless steel clamp to the filter and bare it up against boss on filter adapter. Filter will not loosen. I bought a 10 pack from McMaster Carr and have been handing them out to other GT350 owners at car events. Works like a charm.
oil-clamp.jpg

bellwilliam

bellwilliam
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
for those of you that says you have no issue (loosening). how often do you track the car between oil changes ? once ? 5 times ? or never ?

if never, do you hit rev limiter every day ? or once a month ? or never ?

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
If put on correctly the oil filter will not loosen or leak. Apply oil to the gasket and for the love of god when removing the old filter make sure the old gasket came off. Some bonehead actually double stacked the gaskets, and for all we know that's what happened to the one with a problem at the track. Torque it with a torque wrench as REQUIRED.
Disclaimer: Never tracked it. Never will hit the rev limiter on purpose.

Last edited:

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
If put on correctly the oil filter will not loosen or leak. Apply oil to the gasket and for the love of god when removing the old filter make sure the old gasket came off. Some bonehead actually double stacked the gaskets, and for all we know the that's what happened to the one with a problem at the track. Torque it with a torque wrench as REQUIRED.
Disclaimer: Never tracked it. Never will hit the rev limiter on purpose.
:lol:

Sponsored

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Well Jim, William made it sound as if our cars aren't suppose to fall apart if we regularly bounce them off the rev limiter. Maybe then we need to put hose clamps on random parts not meant for a hose clamp to hold things together.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Well Jim, William made it sound as if our cars aren't suppose to fall apart if we regularly bounce them off the rev limiter. Maybe then we need to put hose clamps on random parts not meant for a hose clamp to hold things together.
It just struck me as funny. I don’t think any of us intentionally hit the limit. I’m taking no position on the other stuff :D

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I havent tracked my car yet but I hit the revliter several times a week and drive my car pretty heavy. Never had the oil filter loosen on me and as I have a 4 post lift and pretty ocd personality, I actually did check the torque in my first few oil changes after 100,200,500,1000,2000 miles. I m pretty sure due to the location and inaccessibility of the filter and possibly using an inaccurate torque wrench (pretty sure some people use the same 10-150 torque wrench they use on their wheels on this, no dont do that!) people have this problem.

If you dont seat the filter adapter thing probably and your rotational force isnt doing a full 90 degree, you are not applying the right torque. Also invest in a torque wrench that has an upper limit of 40-50 ft/lbs with a 3/8" drive which will be much more accurate.

bellwilliam

bellwilliam
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
my point there is a big difference if your track the car or not. Even with those who track, there is a big difference with driver on 7/10th or 10/10th.

taking a Camry across country for a 24 hour drive, I bet 99% of will make it reliably. Take a Camry to a 24 hour race by a pro driver, 100% of them won't make past 10 hours.

STCoastie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350, 07 Ram 3500, 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Also invest in a torque wrench that has an upper limit of 40-50 ft/lbs with a 3/8" drive which will be much more accurate.[/QUOTE said:
Exactly, you must use a torque wrench that is close to the torque you need. Upper and lower ends of a torque wrench seem to not be as accurate, at least in my experience.
Sponsored