Sponsored

OIL FILTER do they loosen

past15krpm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lighting Blue GT350
Hi all new to the forums. Seems like I may have the same issue. Over the weekend I went to wash by car and noticed a puddle of oil on the garage floor. I checked the dip stick and it was indeed missing oil. The oil was just above the lower dot on the dip stick. The 350 was built 4/18/2017 and i have 937 mile on it a of right now. I am getting it towed to the dealer on Wednesday to see what happened.
Sponsored

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
This comes from the supplement first printing, 7/15.
Wow, don't know how I misread that. Thanks for the picture.

I even went and re-read my original supplemental manual; it is identical to what you posted :doh:

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Hi all new to the forums. Seems like I may have the same issue. Over the weekend I went to wash by car and noticed a puddle of oil on the garage floor. I checked the dip stick and it was indeed missing oil. The oil was just above the lower dot on the dip stick. The 350 was built 4/18/2017 and i have 937 mile on it a of right now. I am getting it towed to the dealer on Wednesday to see what happened.
You definitely have the new filter type and updated oil cooler hoses. Hope everything goes well for you. Keep us posted.

HaleFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Are you able to get under the car to identify where the oil is coming from? If the oil filter has wiggled loose then it should be a quick fix - or at least peace of mind that it isn't something more serious. Good luck, let us know how it goes. :thumbsup:

One thing several people have mentioned and something that I do as well is put a witness mark on the filter w/ a sharpie. That way you can get a quick visual status and tell if it is coming loose. The filter is visible if you get down on the ground and look through the rim spokes, so no need to get under the car to check it!

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Factory is usually pretty loose.

Sponsored

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
Factory is usually pretty loose.
But one would think with all the trouble Ford has gone through (shipping owners filter wrenches, updating the oil filter style etc.) the assembly line would pay special attention to making sure they're torqued correctly at the factory.:doh:

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
A good friend of mine is an engineer at Ford and toured the Romeo Niche Line last summer, where he had all the available engine builders sign a poster that is now mounted on my garage wall. He spoke with some of them about building the engine, issues with the VooDoo, etc. His take away for the discussions with the builders: Make sure the oil filter is properly torqued. This was the original canister type they were referring to. I think they are all sensitive to that.

I suspect the leak issue that [MENTION=30799]past15krpm[/MENTION] is having is not related to the filter not torqued properly. The new cartridge design is inherently non-conducive to vibrating loose, and even if it does, the dual O-ring design would prevent/minimize leakage. Hopefully, we will find out soon enough what the issue is.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I don't know who stated that, but if I remember correctly, my first GT350 supplemental manual said NOT to put oil on the gasket. The one that shipped with my filter wrench, filter, etc., was updated and stated to APPLY oil on the filter gasket. I'm guessing the first was a typo or poor recommendation by Ford. I'm glad I didn't initially read the supplemental manual when changing the oil......
I see some one corrected you but you can not tighten a oil filter with out lubing it, it will leak.

past15krpm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lighting Blue GT350
Are you able to get under the car to identify where the oil is coming from? If the oil filter has wiggled loose then it should be a quick fix - or at least peace of mind that it isn't something more serious. Good luck, let us know how it goes. :thumbsup:

One thing several people have mentioned and something that I do as well is put a witness mark on the filter w/ a sharpie. That way you can get a quick visual status and tell if it is coming loose. The filter is visible if you get down on the ground and look through the rim spokes, so no need to get under the car to check it!
I tried to look through both front wheels but could not see the oil filter.

A good friend of mine is an engineer at Ford and toured the Romeo Niche Line last summer, where he had all the available engine builders sign a poster that is now mounted on my garage wall. He spoke with some of them about building the engine, issues with the VooDoo, etc. His take away for the discussions with the builders: Make sure the oil filter is properly torqued. This was the original canister type they were referring to. I think they are all sensitive to that.

I suspect the leak issue that @past15krpm is having is not related to the filter not torqued properly. The new cartridge design is inherently non-conducive to vibrating loose, and even if it does, the dual O-ring design would prevent/minimize leakage. Hopefully, we will find out soon enough what the issue is.
I hope this is not the case but we will find out soon.
img_20170718_194741.jpg
img_20170718_194941.jpg

Sponsored

past15krpm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lighting Blue GT350
So I checked with service and it seemed to be a oil pressure switch which caused the oil leak. It was defective and started to leak oil. Leaving this here if anyone else ever has a oil leak but its not coming from the oil filter.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
But one would think with all the trouble Ford has gone through (shipping owners filter wrenches, updating the oil filter style etc.) the assembly line would pay special attention to making sure they're torqued correctly at the factory.:doh:
Takes time and time is money.

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
.....you can not tighten a oil filter with out lubing it, it will leak.
I thought installing it dry was weird. Lubing the oring is not actually required. It is done so the oring does not bunch up and/or tear when tightening. It might not tear if dry, depending on various conditions. I always lube it, even if it says not to do so.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
So I checked with service and it seemed to be a oil pressure switch which caused the oil leak. It was defective and started to leak oil. Leaving this here if anyone else ever has a oil leak but its not coming from the oil filter.
Thanks for following up and posting this info [MENTION=30799]past15krpm[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

Another thing to add to the list....

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
didn't someone else have a bad oil pressure switch? I forget there have been so many leaking / low oil threads.
Sponsored