John
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
https://www.uprproducts.com/upr-for...for-mustang-f150-raptor-edge-explorer-bronco/

I installed this one last season, during the car's first oil change. I did the second oil change a few weeks ago.

I found using the plug to be a joy. Zero mess. Nothing but pan. The mechanism opened smoothly. I'd attached a 1/2" hose to the spigot.

Removing the plug from the pan took just a bit of additional effort. The tangs used to hold it on were nice and snug. I used a small flathead screwdriver to just barely release one tang and then removed by hand.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: on the model above.

20231009_090627.jpg

20231009_090734.jpg

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I had a Ronin on my F150 for 100k miles. Changed every 5k like clockwork. Never an issue. I put a Ronin on my Mustang last oil change. Fully expect the experience to be the same.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
@Skye so are these plugs actually worth it? Just wondering what the point is with these plugs. I've changed the oil on all our vehicles with whatever stock plug the manufacturer gave the vehicle and haven't had any issues or messes. Wondering what I am missing because I see a lot of people talking about changing out their plugs and I sit there like, why? LOL

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
It's worth it for the magnetic tip, but keep in mind these are still "wear" items just like the OEM plug. Maybe not quite so often, but it definitely needs changing. I found this on mine twice now, and have since moved back to the OEM plug. What happened with mine is the little ears/tabs that hold it in place lost some of their tension and no longer held the plug in the correct spot. It allowed it to be very loose rather than holding it tight in the slot on the pan.

Just an FYI if you are considering these.

Sponsored

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
Other than the magnet what exactly is wrong with the OEM Plug??
Heck, the pan is plastic too and they're probably hundreds of thousands running around now with no problems, as long as you know how to remove 'em??
I fashioned a strong Neodymium filter magnet for my 2014 car and use it on my 2022 to pick up Magnetic Fines.......seems to work GREAT!!

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Just wondering what the point is with these plugs.
The main reason I appreciate having one is it allows me to control the flow of oil when draining. Instead of an all-or-nothing situation, I can open the spigot like any other control valve.

The magnetic tip is an additional benefit.

Here is the one from Ronin: https://roninfactory.com/products/ford-f150-raptor-oil-drain-ronin-factory.

Some like the units from Femco. https://www.femco.com/

There's nothing inherently wrong with the OEM drain plug. They're made of stout plastic. I'm not aware of them being known to leak.

Last edited:

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Last edited:

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's
As @Skye mentioned, these plugs work great for controlling the oil flow. I use the Femco on my Mach 1, and Fumoto valves on my other vehicle.

Sponsored

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
I just completed my second oil change today. I find the S550 to be one of the easiest cars that I've had to change oil. The plug is very accessible and if you get the car up in the air far enough on jack stands to park a 2-1/2 gallon pail under it (I use an empty cat litter pail), it goes like a breeze and no mess. You do need to use the plug to slow the oil stream at first, and once the pail is positioned correctly, let er rip! I can see that replacing the oil plug will be necessary and I'll probably do that every three changes. I don't see the value in an aftermarket plug TBH.

There are benefits to the mess that happens when you change the oil filter, too. Oil does go everywhere and has to be mopped up with towel afterwards. But a film of oil prevents rust on the car and all the tools too, and is an excellent hair and beard moisturizer.

Seriously, I've gotta find that thread for the gadget that prevents the oil filter mess that someone on here was printing with a 3-D printer....

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I had the UPR one on my explorer until the tech at the dealer broke it. He tried to unscrew it out, not in to open the valve, and he tried to force it and it broke. Luckily I kept the original plastic drain plug in the glovebox in case something happened.

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's
I just completed my second oil change today. I find the S550 to be one of the easiest cars that I've had to change oil.
ā€¦
Seriously, I've gotta find that thread for the gadget that prevents the oil filter mess that someone on here was printing with a 3-D printer....
Any vehicle where filters are not installed in a near vertical position are typically going to be more challenging to change.

@pilotgore was working on the filter accessory. Itā€™s been taking longer than anticipatedā€¦.i assume time and access to a Mach 1 to verify fitment.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Any vehicle where filters are not installed in a near vertical position are typically going to be more challenging to change.

@pilotgore was working on the filter accessory. Itā€™s been taking longer than anticipatedā€¦.i assume time and access to a Mach 1 to verify fitment.
Soooooo Iā€™m not allowed to comment on this stuff anymore until I become a paying sponsor again.

Totally unrelated, @Gearz and @Jjmoberg may have seen each other over the last few weeks. I understand @Gearz was showing off some 3D printed stuff heā€™s made. I wouldnā€™t say their meeting was a resounding success, but progress was made on whatever was shown.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Going to do my fall oil change this weekend.

anyone use this on their car:https://www.uprproducts.com/upr-for...for-mustang-f150-raptor-edge-explorer-bronco/

If so let me know how you like it. Is it worth swapping the plastic plug for this.
Soooooo Iā€™m not allowed to comment on this stuff anymore until I become a paying sponsor again.

Totally unrelated, @Gearz and @Jjmoberg may have seen each other over the last few weeks. I understand @Gearz was showing off some 3D printed stuff heā€™s made. I wouldnā€™t say their meeting was a resounding success, but progress was made on whatever was shown.
I currently have the Ronin Single o ring seal drain plug. It seeps. So I now have that particular UPR double o-ring seal drain plug and will install this winter. Good Luck.

Screenshot_20231028_143533_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Sponsored