Official Ford Sync3 3.4 Release

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Does anyone know if there is a limitation of SYNC to model year updates?

Meaning, I have not updated my 2018’s SYNC since it was new… So is there a SYNC version cap as far as what version will or will not work after a certain amount of years? Should I be concerned with trying to download the most recent SYNC version or will I run into problems?
Sync updates are VIN based so Ford will not send you a build that your car cannot except. Check your version and build number by going into settings, then, about Sync. You can then confirm your update on the Ford Owner website.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Does anyone know if there is a limitation of SYNC to model year updates?

Meaning, I have not updated my 2018’s SYNC since it was new… So is there a SYNC version cap as far as what version will or will not work after a certain amount of years? Should I be concerned with trying to download the most recent SYNC version or will I run into problems?
There definitely is a "limit" or "final version" you can have.
I have a 2019 and I think so far it didn't tell me anything about not being able to update, but tried to update wife's 2017 F150 and it didn't let me update to 3.4 (which is what my car has), that one let me go only as far as 3.0, at least via official Ford channels.

Might try Cyanlabs but not yet sure.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
There definitely is a "limit" or "final version" you can have.
I have a 2019 and I think so far it didn't tell me anything about not being able to update, but tried to update wife's 2017 F150 and it didn't let me update to 3.4 (which is what my car has), that one let me go only as far as 3.0, at least via official Ford channels.

Might try Cyanlabs but not yet sure.
Good point. Ford may release a new build for 3.0 but the version is done. You can certainly update your F150 from 3.0 to 3.4 using Cyanlabs. Just understand that if you have an extended warranty and have a Sync issue you might not be covered.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
That version thing is easy...

anything <= 3.0 right now --> max 3.0 any version
anything > 3.0 right now --> update up to 3.4 any version.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Thanks so much! That's what I did this time idle and drive.
Last time I did the USB update with a charger directly on the battery and it shut down every 5 minutes and I had to hit the start/ign buton twice every 5 minutes. This time I connected so the BMS supposedly could sense it and it still shut down every 5 minutes even with good voltage, so I just kept it running. For some reason my digital dash voltmeter reads slightly below 12 volts even with much higher measured battery voltage. I wonder if a reset of the BMS would correct it.
I don't get any low voltage error messages on the dash.
I think the voltmeter on the dash reports "VPWR" or voltage at a specific module, which is usually regulated and not always an identical match to battery voltage. So I don't think anything is wrong with your car in that sense. BMS reset should only be performed if you've installed a new battery. I've tried to do the install without the engine running, and IMO it's just more of a hassle. It's better to just idle the car while it does it. In the official instructions it even says to do that. No chance of errors or bad loads, just a minor amount of wasted fuel (unless you're having fun of course).

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's better to just idle the car while it does it. In the official instructions it even says to do that. No chance of errors or bad loads, just a minor amount of wasted fuel (unless you're having fun of course).
Why idle? Just get in the car and drive. It's more fun. 😁

OP
OP

Nexus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Did the update last night and haven't had any chance to check it out.

I assume its all fixes this late in the product lifecycle.
I REALLY wish they had a change log to say what's been updated/fixed since the last version.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' FE, 20' FE
I assume its all fixes this late in the product lifecycle.
I REALLY wish they had a change log to say what's been updated/fixed since the last version.
Yeah, no change log, even high level, was always a pet peeve of mine. They're all basically maintenance releases. The voice piece for example just had a final fix in there for problems with contacts with emojis in them and some other low hanging fruit commands added. Got that in before exiting stage right.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, no change log, even high level, was always a pet peeve of mine. They're all basically maintenance releases. The voice piece for example just had a final fix in there for problems with contacts with emojis in them and some other low hanging fruit commands added. Got that in before exiting stage right.
Thank you! :like:

OP
OP

Nexus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Thanks for all your info. Appreciated as always.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I wish they concentrated more on things that really matter - i.e. bug fixing. The music skipping on USB and BT has been around for two years already, and it's still not fixed. I also have an occasional CarPlay-related bug (which is definitely in Sync, not in CarPlay), which the latest update doesn't fix. It's beyond me how six years after the launch of this system they're still utterly unable to make it work properly. Not to mention the update process, which is still buggy and unreliable.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I wish they concentrated more on things that really matter - i.e. bug fixing. The music skipping on USB and BT has been around for two years already, and it's still not fixed. I also have an occasional CarPlay-related bug (which is definitely in Sync, not in CarPlay), which the latest update doesn't fix. It's beyond me how six years after the launch of this system they're still utterly unable to make it work properly. Not to mention the update process, which is still buggy and unreliable.
All the resources went to stupid massive glued-on-dashboard vertical tablet to control every single vehicle function.
Cause, you know, Ford's a software/tech company now. :facepalm:

Wow, reading that after myself has strong
1666095194952.png
vibe.

I'm only 30yo, I promise I don't hate tech. I just hate stupid tech and "touchscreen everything is basically luxury."