K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Supposedly you have to use forscan to change the battery type
I put an AGM in mine while on vacation. When I got back home I hooked forscan up and the car already knew it had an AGM battery.
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Lock the car !
Better add push the button twice, crystal ball is telling me it will be stupid question 55 ....LMAO

@op

The keyfob operation sequence & system listening devices, good point. FordPass, still sees the vehicle. Any thoughts, locking it using the app, if it works as the keyfob ?

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Only issue with locking the car is if the battery completely dies you’ll need to use the backup key to open the door. And I’ve seen multiple stories of folks pulling the cover off the door handle and it never goes back on tightly and in some cases has fallen off leaving you with an obvious missing piece. The second issue is do you know for sure your backup lock cylinder works? There was a member with a GT500 who got locked out because of this and he ended up busting his window out which was cheaper to replace than a tow to his closest shop. (Yes we tried telling him to have AAA do it but 🤷)

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Nah.. 4 years going strong still.

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
Stupid question #56...lol. During the winter season when I know I won't be using the car for up to a week or more, I remove the battery and bring it inside and hook it up to a battery tender. (I don't have a garage so I can't hook up the tender outside) I only have to worry about resetting the BMS when replacing with a new battery, correct? Also, I replaced my weak/dead battery about a month or so ago myself and didn't have the BMS reset at the dealership. (Didn't know it was necessary?) Is that something I should do asap or has that ship sailed?

Sponsored

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
Stupid question #56...lol. During the winter season when I know I won't be using the car for up to a week or more, I remove the battery and bring it inside and hook it up to a battery tender. (I don't have a garage so I can't hook up the tender outside) I only have to worry about resetting the BMS when replacing with a new battery, correct? Also, I replaced my weak/dead battery about a month or so ago myself and didn't have the BMS reset at the dealership. (Didn't know it was necessary?) Is that something I should do asap or has that ship sailed?
The way I understand it, if the battery is in good shape when you remove it, the BMS will be fine when you put it back. As far as the one you replaced already, I believe the car has a learning function, given enough time the BMS will learn that there's a good battery in place, so I would think a reset isn't needed at this point.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
It's not the batteries, for what ever reason our mustangs, I have a 2019, battery rundown management system along with systems which draw power when car is off is to much to keep the battery properly charged, mostly for those people like me who only drive my car an hour a week

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
The way I understand it, if the battery is in good shape when you remove it, the BMS will be fine when you put it back. As far as the one you replaced already, I believe the car has a learning function, given enough time the BMS will learn that there's a good battery in place, so I would think a reset isn't needed at this point.
Thanks Rick. 👍

Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
It makes a difference in the short term.

If the car is parked for "a few days up to couple weeks-ish,' it helps to lock the doors with your remote until you hear the horn honk. What this does on some newer cars (especially Fords since the mid-late 2000s) is that it puts the car in a timeout mode and then triggers the vehicle modules (most of them, not all complete) to go in a deeper sleep, thus consuming less power - so long as no key is pressed on the remote. It is the numerous modules on modern cars that really suck up a lot of power, even just sitting.

When the car is left unlocked, the modules are still 'awake' and there is constant communication attempted with the key/remote, which also helps drain the battery more.

Of course, if storing for the winter/long term, doing the above is useless unless coupled with a tender.

When using a tender, the neg terminal should be hooked up to the ground wire on these cars, which is just before the BMS unit, so that a continues trickle charge doesn't interfere with it, and monitoring the battery health.

As many have correctly stated though, the batteries these cars come with are adequate at best, and after sitting idle for even up to 2 weeks, many of these cars fail to start (due to drainage) when cars of yore could sit weeks on end, and fire right up.

ETA: For those wondering, this is how to hook up the negative terminal from a tender, to these cars (Yellow), which is before BMS Sensor (Green), with respect to direction of travel to the battery itself. Note: original pic from the GT500 forums which I edited for the post
BMS Neg Bat Hookup.jpg
What if you are just putting on a charger to top up the battery?I do a lot of short runs and occasionally connect one. Should I be connecting the ground lead of the charger at this point on the tower, instead of to the battery negative terminal?

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
What if you are just putting on a charger to top up the battery?I do a lot of short runs and occasionally connect one. Should I be connecting the ground lead of the charger at this point on the tower, instead of to the battery negative terminal?
Yes, ideally. It doesn't matter if you do a lot of short runs, or longer drives - the operational theory of the BMS as I laid out still works in that manner, regardless of how long or short the drive is.

By hooking up the negative/ground lead of the charger to that point on the shock tower, you allow the BMS to take into account your constant trickle charge.

Bamastangbham

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffery
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
My 2019 Bullitt, used it 6 days ago went to start it today and screen showed power asleep to save power, battery completely dead, called Ford road service boosted it and ran it 40 minutes (shut the engine off spot) in settings. But 6 days to go dead, have car 1 3/4 years , manufactured August 2019. Wonder if something drained it or battery just junk.
Well mine just bit dust on my 19 bullitt wow what did you replace it wit
When I press the lock button on the remote I don't get the horn honk. Do you have to hold the lock button on the remote to get said
horn honk?
My 19 bullitt has setting In the cluster that you can silence the alarm with key fob in which the lights flash instead of honk. Seems like I started having trouble with mine when I cut horn off in the sitting. Needless to say my battery just bit dust and wow batteries is not like they use to be

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Mine had been getting lower and lower on voltage (down to 12.2V) and the last time I checked it the specific gravity wasn’t great, so I just put an Energizer AGM (from Costco Canada) in it, same size, a 96R. But, lo and behold, I charged the old one on the bench and it took a charge and showed better than 12.7V and the specific gravity was right in the dead centre of the green zone, so go figure.

Blufc3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Premium GT PP1, 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
I replaced mine about a month ago.
Surprised the original battery has only 600 CCA.
It did last 6 years however.
Sponsored