Sponsored

mk1spyder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R TT005
The 2020 engines have a serious problem it's pretty obvious at this point. Imagine how many more have blown that aren't on the forums. Out of a % of total cars made this is high. Years from now we'll find out the truth of what happened at the factory.

OP
OP

mroad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HEP
Do you know the build date of the car? Post VIN?
Based on my CarFax report, the build date is mid July 2020. I don't think the build date has to do with these issues. It seems that it's affecting 2020 cars throught the year. The earliest story I read here happened in late 2019 for a MY 2020 car.

OP
OP

mroad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HEP
The 2020 engines have a serious problem it's pretty obvious at this point. Imagine how many more have blown that aren't on the forums. Out of a % of total cars made this is high. Years from now we'll find out the truth of what happened at the factory.
Andrew, I agree. IMO Ford should issue a recall for these cars. Based on this thread, it started happening late 2019:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2020-shelby-gt350-engine-failure.133081/

Ford must be aware of the rampant problems on the 2020 engines. On the same dealer where I'm fixing my car, there's another GT350R HEP that's been there for as long as I've had my car (a week). I bet it's also waiting for an engine.

mk1spyder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R TT005
I mean not really a point in issuing a recall they're all going to blow up if you drive them. The people that keep them as a museum piece will find out 30 years from now and Ford won't have to pay for those engines.

What sucked was when I got on the forums rightfully upset half the people trolled me for talking $hit about Ford lol.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Jeez, now there are two experts.

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
OP - sorry to hear about this but hopefully it gets sorted out fast and you can enjoy it again.

My 2020 R was built the week the factory reopened after the COVID19 shutdown. Ive got just over 2k miles on it so far. Fingers crossed.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The fact Ford is not allowing the dealers to tear down the blown engines tells me they don't know the root cause of the failures. The blown engines are sent to engineering.

Hasn't this been a problem with all the voodoo's?

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
The fact Ford is not allowing the dealers to tear down the blown engines tells me they don't know the root cause of the failures. The blown engines are sent to engineering.

All the voodoos? If you mean any of the failed engines, yes. This is 100% common practice for most manufacturers. It could be that Ford understands the idiocy of people on the internet and doesn’t want anyone making their own uneducated root cause. I don’t blame them but I am curious.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
That has nothing to do with it. Ford doesn’t want to pay tech’s at a dealership to do that. There would be no benefit to Ford to do that. They would then be having to ship back a disassembled engine which would be a logistical pain in the arse. I’d be surprised if many have the certifications that the manufacturer would most likely require for the internal side as well.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
That has nothing to do with it. Ford doesn’t want to pay tech’s at a dealership to do that. There would be no benefit to Ford to do that. They would then be having to ship back a disassembled engine which would be a logistical pain in the arse. I’d be surprised if many have the certifications that the manufacturer would most likely require for the internal side as well.
I hadn’t considered that - great point. If they were allowed to tear them down - who would then want the dealer tech to attempt to repair the motor as opposed to just getting a new one from Ford? I think this is a case of just wanting to know.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I worked at dealerships before. The only time we sent anything back to the factory was if they didn't know the cause of the failure and wanted engineering to figure it out.

Most times the failed parts got junked. This included engines and transmissions.

There is only one reason to spend the money for shipping it back. That is so engineering can look for a cause.

When I asked about all voodoos. I ment all years. It seems this engine has had an unusual amount of failures compared to the Coyote.
Sponsored