Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Can you post a photo of where you connect the negative black connection please???
It goes to the bolt where the battery ground is routed to on the forward side of the front passenger shock mount. Follow the negative cable from the battery and you’ll run right into it. The wire passes through a donut shaped “Hall effect” sensor.

rp930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500, 2019 Ranger, 2015 MB GLK250
Additional information from another thread:

"Battery Charging

When charging the vehicle battery by connecting the charger to engine or chassis ground [...] the BMS Reset is not required . [...]The BCM updates the battery state of charge during the charging process.

When charging the vehicle battery by connecting the charger to the negative battery terminal [...] the BMS Reset must be carried out using a diagnostic scan tool.

If the reset is not carried out, [...] it takes approximately 8 hours for the BCM to learn the new battery state of charge. During this 8 hour period, the vehicle must be undisturbed, with no doors opened or keyless entry button presses."

If the BCM/BMS loses track of the battery's state of charge, there's a risk that it'll turn stuff off, like the stereo, heated seats, and other electrical loads to rescue what it thinks is a discharged battery. Hence the BMS Reset or the 8 hour wait.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

ChuckXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 SHELBY GT 500
I have a disconnect, available from CTEK, installed. You can see where I connected the negative.
1682965891451.jpeg
A "BIG THANK YOU" goes out to you rp920. And also a big thank you to everyone. Just got my new Ford battery installed a few minutes ago. The only one they had was a Ford Performance battery. Even if it only lasts 2 years Iam ok with that. I meant rp930. Fingers get too much of a hurry.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
What follows are some additional references. Search for keywords "tender" or "tender install" or something of the sort. You'll receive feedback of several threads.

A BMS reset will let the car know there is a new battery; it's a simple process which can be accomplished after you have everything in.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/batter-tender-battery-connection.172738/

It's best to remove the negative cable from the battery, before starting any of this. Dropping a tool at the wrong moment can short something out, causing damage to you or the car. When connecting back up, the car is going to make all kinds of weird noises, several times, as it performs self-checks. Perform a BMS reset when done.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/bms-reset-no-tools-required.151602/

Yesterday, I attached my Ford Performance battery tender for the first time, to check it out. Using alligator clamps and leaving the hood up might be alright for the weekend, but it wasn't going to work long-term. I began eyeing the fuse block, another pigtail I had with the kit and these threads.

Thank You for the insight and the inspiration. Below are two options I'm playing with. Maybe these ideas and others might help you.

Cowl: the advantage of the cowl is I can tuck it under the hood and take it out as needed. To a passerby, it's almost invisible. The disadvantage is the hood closes snug and its a water area. The cable I fabricated is sealed with heat shrink, but still.

Front: the advantage of the front is all the wiring under the hood stays away from water, sharp edges or rubbing. But the plug poking out isn't very esthetically pleasing. I considered the grill, but it's a heat area and snug fit, for best airflow. If I Sharpie out the orange it will probably be less obvious.

For now, the front headlight area.

The advantages to either solution are not having to pop the hood, being able to hock up in moments and having a visual on the tender at any time.

tender project 12.jpg

tender project 13.jpg

tender project 14.jpg

tender project 8.jpg

tender project 9.jpg

tender project 3.jpg

tender project 4.png

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

ChuckXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 SHELBY GT 500
I have a disconnect, available from CTEK, installed. You can see where I connected the negative.
1682965891451.jpeg
I just got my CTEK MXS 5.0 Battery Charger today from Amazon. Now I'm ready to go!!! Just one last question. As long as I find a piece of "steel" close to the battery just hook up the Black Negative to that--correct??? I assume it doesn't have to be that exact piece. Lets just say I hooked it up to that bolt just to the upper left of that. The reason Iam asking if the length of the cords are not all that long. Sorry, for being so anal about it. I want you to know I appreciate your input and everybody's for that matter. I ended up going with a Ford Performance battery as when I called the Ford Dealership thats all they had. I live here in Omaha.

rp930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
I just got my CTEK MXS 5.0 Battery Charger today from Amazon. Now I'm ready to go!!! Just one last question. As long as I find a piece of "steel" close to the battery just hook up the Black Negative to that--correct??? I assume it doesn't have to be that exact piece. Lets just say I hooked it up to that bolt just to the upper left of that. The reason Iam asking if the length of the cords are not all that long. Sorry, for being so anal about it. I want you to know I appreciate your input and everybody's for that matter. I ended up going with a Ford Performance battery as when I called the Ford Dealership thats all they had. I live here in Omaha.
That will be fine.

gfcobra04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 94 Lightning, 2020 GT500
That charger is meant for motorcycles, etc. Not adequate for car batteries. Look into a CTEK. MXS 5.0 which is the same as the Ford one.
You are incorrect I have used a a battery tender for my 00r for 25 years never any issues plus my 94 Lightning and GT500.

IMG_2977.jpeg

rp930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
You are incorrect I have used a a battery tender for my 00r for 25 years never any issues plus my 94 Lightning and GT500.

IMG_2977.jpeg
I stand corrected but it will have trouble bringing a low battery up. Strictly a maintainer. I’m happy with the CTEK charging strategy.

I have no experience with Battery Tender chargers.

Last edited:

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
will have trouble bringing a low battery up.
No trouble at all. Just takes longer. :).
I maintain 3 auto battery’s with maintainers that are 1-1.75A.

If I want a charge under 12 hours, I put my 5A maintainer/charger on it.

If I want to start or charge it in 30 min, I throw my 10/20/30A charger on it.

Most newer maintainers all use the same type of boards and circuitry. You can get quite a few maintainer models out there for 50% less than a branded “CTEK/Ford” model…..

NOCO makes amazing products that easily compete side by side with “CTEK” brand products. The NOVO Genius 5, and 10 are all anyone would need. One of each :).
Sponsored