Sponsored

Battery relocation to the trunk.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
Started my battery relocation to the trunk this weekend. Pretty straight forward as it has been done before. WatsonRacing has kit and decent instructions for those looking to do this, worth taking a look at. I however did this all custom and I think better.

Just to be CLEAR, I did this for 2 reasons: 1. needed power for my sub amp, 2. Cleaner engine bay cosmetics. Any benefits outside of this are gravy. Figured if I am running a power wire for amp might as well upsize the cable and move the battery. Most people do this for weight distribution, but I would say a lightweight lithium battery in the stock location would be a better choice, albeit more expensive choice, and doesn’t help with engine bay cleanup.

I bought an optima size 35 battery 720 cca, only to be able to mount it on its side, to be able to have the spare tire cover sit flush. I will also mount my Kicker 1600.1 amp next to it. I plan to mount this in the rearward portion of the tire well, as I may put a ice tank later, so could be using 95% of the well
.all stealth looking with trunk open. Not a huge optima fan but for the money and versatility of mounting I chose it, lately using odyssey batteries which are little more expensive. And lithiums haven’t came down yet in price to make them affordable IMO.

Stock Battery Weight = 32lbs 0oz 590cca

Optima Battery Weight = 32lbs 2.5oz 720cca

Stock Battery tray and mount = 3lbs 11.5oz

Battery Cable ~.5 lbs per foot Size 2/0 00 2886 strands OFC OD .59 (estimating about 15ft)

Started by removing the battery and battery tray/box. I wrapped factory cables with height shield that I just happened to have for another project. Not sure if this is necessary but can’t hurt. I then cut a ~1inch slot in the metal that contains that battery corner. This will allow the cables to go under the strut tower brace and into the battery compartment area. I then cut and bend up a small abs bracket to hold the ‘jumper’ posts. This isn’t really necessary to have these posts but was a good place to tie in the rear power cable and would work for jumping the car. The post are closer than I would have liked but this is where the factory cables fell. The cables could be returned to factory location if necessary. This also allowed me to retain the battery monitor sensors.

There is a hole in the bottom of the battery area that I drilled out to 1” and put a rubber grommet and fed the 00 battery cable thru. I have a hydraulic battery terminal crimper which makes ends nice, neat and tight. Have to remove fender line partially to access firewall grommet. Cut the nipple off the firewall grommet and fed the cable through. Ran the cable down the kick panel and down rocker. Area just beside the seat brace under the interior rocker cover is very tight but works. I only made it to the rear seat before I quit for the weekend.

Next I will be welding up a battery tray and amp holder for the tire well. Hoping something simple that uses the spare tire nut to secure with another mount or 2. Goal is to open the trunk and for it to be oblivious there is a bettery and amp in the trunk. I think all said and done I will likely have added 10lbs but moved 32lbs from high in the hood to low in the trunk.

I also will have to do something with the battery top cover to remove the 2 holes where the cables used to go, haven’t quite figured out how I will do this and make it look good/factory looking. I will update this post as I finish the rear trunk area.

battrel1.jpg

battrel2.jpg

battrel3.jpg

battrel4.jpg

battrel5.jpg

battrel6.jpg

battrel7.jpg

battrel8.jpg

battrel9.jpg
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Very nice.

I like the crimper I see.

OP
OP
protraxduner

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why red top Vs yellow top?
IDK, generally just have never used yellow tops, there a more expensive and generally per size have less CCA (albeit more than stock battery) and I usually have my batteries on tenders. Good question though and probably should have asked myself that before I bought a red top!

OP
OP
protraxduner

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why red top Vs yellow top?
I should add that the yellow top would totally bother me .....being yellow in color, even though it will be hidden under the tire cover. When i show people it will look so much better red.....

Sponsored

OP
OP
protraxduner

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Almost done. At least its operational now. I built a mount that holds the battery and amp and ties into the unused left side bolt in the spare tire well and then used 2 J nuts in the slots on the back tailight panel. Just so happens i reused the original 3 battery tray bolts to secure. I then tapped the right side ground (mirrored from left but unused) and this is where the negative cable goes. Ended up using 16ft of 2/0 cable at 7.5 lbs. My bracket is portly at 4.5 lbs, if i would just learn to use my new TIG welder i could have done it in aluminum and saved some weight. Anyway i am sound deadening the trunk at the moment to complete the install and wire up the amp. I ordered some aesthetically pleasing black sound deadening to do the well so that when you on up the spare tire area its simple and clean and not glaring with aluminum colored dynamat. Should finish up this week.

battrela.jpg

battrelb.jpg

battrelc.jpg

battreld.jpg

OP
OP
protraxduner

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure wish I had a MIG rig and knew how to use it.

Most excellent work, Tony.

KB
Mig is easy....or maybe it seams that way to me since i been doing it so long. I bought NICE TIG machine a year ago, thinking i would just learn it by watching videos as they make it look so easy......Well I SUCK! at Tig , so much so it aggrevates me and i just pull out the MIG. Practice is probably what i need but haven't made the time. My old Hobart MIG has served me well and never let me down.

welder.jpg

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well done.

I use my mig all the time and tig when I want something really pretty. Tig is great for exhaust work but time consuming.

OP
OP
protraxduner

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can handle the slow part.....but right now my TIG skills are slow and ugly.....my aluminum TIG skills don't exist......

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Oooooooh, an ATC 250R.....

OP
OP
protraxduner

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can handle the slow part.....but right now my TIG skills are slow and ugly.....my aluminum TIG skills don't exist......
I thought I'd be doing aluminum with mine too but for whatever reason, never do.

Keep hammering away with the tig and you'll get it. Invest in a Tungsten grinder and have half a dozen of them ready to go as you will fuse the Tungsten to your work at times. Custom glass gas lens/cups help bigtime too.

OP
OP
protraxduner

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought I'd be doing aluminum with mine too but for whatever reason, never do.

Keep hammering away with the tig and you'll get it. Invest in a Tungsten grinder and have half a dozen of them ready to go as you will fuse the Tungsten to your work at times. Custom glass gas lens/cups help bigtime too.
I have thought about the glass cups but honestly i have no one to blame but myself cause i don't TIG until i need something done and that is not the time to practice......i need to practice BEFORE i need something done! And i am good at chucking up the tungsten and grinding a tip on my belt sander.......i assume that is acceptable....

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels