Sponsored

Battery Terminal connections

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Quick question for anyone using the CTEK MXS 5.0. Does your charger have a slight buzz to it when connected?

It’s not very noticeable but in total silence you can definitely hear it humming/buzzing. Just wondering if I should return & exchange before it’s too late.

My smart little ‘Battery Tender Junior’ that I’ve used for years is totally silent. I moved that to another vehicle and thought I’d try out this new CTEK.

Thank you for any feedback.
I have a MXS7.0 and although I cant say I have ever heard it buzz, it will make a cyclic ticking noise after its been connected for a while.

Looking at the charge profile :

1611307398007.png

And considering the time I have heard it, the tick most likely coincides with step 8 when it is pulsing current.

It's not a loud noise, you really have to listen for it (I would hazard a guess that my misses would tell me its silent and the noise is in my head ... :cwl: ).

WD :like:
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
John: My hearing isn't what it once was but my garage is quiet and I'm pretty sure I would have heard the buzzing if it was occurring so I'll have to go with, my CTEK box is silent.
Hi,

I have been meaning to ask you for a while, kept forgetting and then this thread prompted me as it's reasonably on topic.

I think you have one of the CTEK Bluetooth sense monitors ?

If so, what do you think of it and was it easy to install within the confines of the battery box ?

Are you using it with an iPhone ? If so I read that you are expected to keep the app open - is that really necessary and does it compromise the data if you only open the app when your interested in what the battery is up to / when you want to check it out ?

If it comes with your recommendation, do you have any photos of your installation ?

Sorry for all the questions ... lol

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
WD: There are undoubtedly very few mods that are as easy as the CTEK, including the Batt Sense module. That got taped to the inside of the fuse box lid.

Obviously, the battery tending is the Prime Directive and it does that extremely well. The bonus stuff is nice, like BT, but I rarely look at the BT data as it's always at a hundred percent.

Yes, I have an iPhone and no, I don't leave the app open. When I need to look, it just works.

Here are a couple photos...and I did use the negative at the fuse box, not the battery.

1611311230539.png

1611311300430.png

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you :like:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
True, maybe it’s okay. Being brand new I’d rather play it safe and try a new one before it possibly gets worse. The replacement is already on its way. And yes, never had issues with Battery Tender. I just had to come across this damn thread and see these CTek‘s with all these lights and it even said ‘5.0’. I’m a sucker for marketing.

This charger can do a deep cycle charge (recondition), the tender will not. Also the charger can charge different battery types.

That's not say the BT is any less at keeping a battery topped off. Have a 20+ year history with the product.

Do agree that, 5.0 thing is rather catchy LOL

Sponsored

Nathan_AUS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (AUS/EU)
2018 Mustang GT (AUS/EU) - CTEK MXS 5.0

Quick question from Down Under (Australia). Our battery is located on the Right-Hand-Side of the engine bay due to the steering conversion.

Is the best place to connect the battery charger Negative (-) to the following? (See Picture).

I believe this is an Engine Ground. Please correct me if I'm wrong?

Was planning to connect my CTEK MXS 5.0 charger to the positive battery terminal and the negative to this Engine Ground.

Will this impact the BMS? Thoughts?

inbound5437781731834539894.jpg

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
2018 Mustang GT (AUS/EU) - CTEK MXS 5.0

Quick question from Down Under (Australia). Our battery is located on the Right-Hand-Side of the engine bay due to the steering conversion.

Is the best place to connect the battery charger Negative (-) to the following? (See Picture).

I believe this is an Engine Ground. Please correct me if I'm wrong?

Was planning to connect my CTEK MXS 5.0 charger to the positive battery terminal and the negative to this Engine Ground.

Will this impact the BMS? Thoughts?
Those would be the correct connection points for right hand drive cars. :thumbsup:

Nathan_AUS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (AUS/EU)
Those would be the correct connection points for right hand drive cars. :thumbsup:
Thanks @StangTime, I really appreciate the fast reply! I also confirmed the following;

"When charging the vehicle battery by connecting the charger to engine or chassis ground, the BMS Reset is not required."

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
@Nathan_AUS - For ease / neatness of installation I went straight to the battery terminals.

BMS reset is only an issue (and a very nominal one at that) if the car isn’t left stood for 8 hours, which is highly unlikely as we’re talking about storage / maintenance chargers :like:

1640851348392.jpeg

1640851382234.jpeg

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
@Nathan_AUS - For ease / neatness of installation I went straight to the battery terminals.

BMS reset is only an issue (and a very nominal one at that) if the car isn’t left stood for 8 hours, which is highly unlikely as we’re talking about storage / maintenance chargers :like:

1640851348392.jpeg

1640851382234.jpeg

This is exactly how I have mine, the computer tells me the car is in deep sleep mode and I have to manually start the car to wake it up, which is fine considering its in hibernation for 3 1/2 months, and last year I had 0 issues when I woke it up.

Sponsored

Nathan_AUS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (AUS/EU)

1640851348392.jpeg

1640851382234.jpeg

@WD Pro that is very neat indeed! Really clean look. I have the exact same charger! I have only been using the clamps this far so I might switch over to that setup for sure 🙂👍 Thanks for sharing!

17_MAGNETIC_GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 Mustang GT 5.0
Hi Guys

Just to throw another idea in the mix.... I've taken the CTEK quick connect out the front. When the charger is disconnected the quick connect has a rubber cover that neatly covers the connector to make it water tight.

Charger 1.jpg
Charger 2.jpg

charger 3.jpg

I've also attached directly to the battery. The Load CT's are generally only interested in what's going out of the battery for checking battery health and load checking. If I was connecting any new devices or loads then I would make +ve connections at the Fuse box and not direct to battery and ground direct to chassis.

A battery charger is just fine sitting direct at battery terminals as it only increasing the state of charge direct at the source and holding a float charge. Not on when car is running and not drawing a load that the BMS needs to monitor.

The Negative connection point I've taken direct to the connection bolt on the negative cable and the positive I've taken to the bolt exactly as per Goose17 has done. I did however sand/file the black paint off the shims the bolt goes through as I wanted to ensure a better electrical connection

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I like that idea, but I want to reverse it :like:

It would suit me if the connection was under the tail end - I just need to spend some time finding out the best way for me to connect it up back there :like:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just updated my installation to include the Sense unit :

1641123187985.jpeg

1641123248474.png

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
But seven Celsius is a bit chilly, WD. MOF, the temp dropped thirty degrees here last night and at the moment, it's 7 Celsius. :-) But we'll be back up in the twenties in a couple days. Meanwhile..

You'll love that CTEK rig although I find that I never use the BT capability. But, I don't have to hangar my girl for the winter so she's never on it for more than a week or so. I've only seen the last light, whatever it's called, once.
Sponsored