Sponsored

NASTY squeaking from rear suspension !!! Thoughts ?

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Few pics of the lower end link mounting point. You can see the rotation of the end link. I was pretty sure I did use some grease but clearly not enough.

You can see in this picture the shape of the aluminum mounting point actually cut some Delrin away on the bushing

I didn't have much of the clear energy suspension grease so I used this stuff that I had. Probably not the best stuff to use but it's what I had and I used it liberally on all sides and point in contact.

I have a few ideas on how to help these from making noise in the future :headbang:

Feeling good now :cool:
CB906991-07D2-48CD-AF0A-69BE9652A478_zps6u74hcwt.jpg

Love your wheels, what are the size of wheels and tyres, plus what colour finish is that, looks amazing. :)
Sponsored

Tugger50H

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Wish I would of known about this before ordering or installing my links. Don't remember seeing lube in the box or reading about it in the directions but it was 2am when I installed them so maybe I missed it. :shrug:

Not looking forward to pounding those back out of there but guess I need to lube them up before I start squeaking.

OP
OP

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Love your wheels, what are the size of wheels and tyres, plus what colour finish is that, looks amazing. :)

Thanks ! more pics and info in my sig link to my build thread :thumbsup: They are Ace Alloys Devoton rims 9/10.5 tires are 245/35 and 285/30. This is my winter setup ;) My forged 3 pc wheels are currently being made :D

Wish I would of known about this before ordering or installing my links. Don't remember seeing lube in the box or reading about it in the directions but it was 2am when I installed them so maybe I missed it. :shrug:

Not looking forward to pounding those back out of there but guess I need to lube them up before I start squeaking.
No need to worry ! I did one side at a time to see if possibly not doing both and unloading the sway bar would keep things from moving. ( I recalled the pita itr was when I had the whole car up and doing both). Not sure if it helped but the bolt came out easy.. pushed the link out with very little force with my hand and everything stayed right in place. Add some lube and its literally a 1 minute job (not including tire re/re) :thumbsup:

Corfly02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue GT 6spd
Thank you all for starting this thread. I've had these vertical links for a while also. I originally bought the spherical ones but AM got the part numbers backwards. Squeeking and creaking started 2 days ago. Thought it was the half shafts or the aluminum cradle lockout bushings. It's been driving me crazy the last 2 days. Nothing like putting a couple Grand into your rear end just to have it squeel like a piggy.

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I have been having squeaking as well from the rear (passenger side). Its just as described in this thread, a squeak over bumps, slow speed etc. Its more prevalent when cold. Its actually a creak.

I have the TCA 45 (bearing - bearing) and did not grease anything during install if I recall as the directions didnt ask for it.
I am also wondering if the squeak could come from this?

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78909

Sponsored

Corfly02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue GT 6spd
I have been having squeaking as well from the rear (passenger side). Its just as described in this thread, a squeak over bumps, slow speed etc. Its more prevalent when cold. Its actually a creak.

I have the TCA 45 (bearing - bearing) and did not grease anything during install if I recall as the directions didnt ask for it.
I am also wondering if the squeak could come from this?

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78909
Half shafts were actually the first thing that I checked. It wasn't the case for me but it is entirely possible. Although, I feel like the half shafts would be more prevelent during lateral shifts (i.e. sudden braking or accelerating). And you might get a subtle rattling at low speeds. The vertical links sound like a loose wooden bed frame when you're slowly cruising through say a parking lot. I neglected to grease mine also.

Last edited:

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
My creak started after the CB005 install and they're not replying to my query for help so anyone else notice that? I torqued all bolts down to spec but may grease up whatever I can to see if it helps.

Happens when weight is transferred to the back or there's flex in the body like going up a driveway at an angle. Oh and over speedbumps too.

Corfly02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue GT 6spd
My creak started after the CB005 install and they're not replying to my query for help so anyone else notice that? I torqued all bolts down to spec but may grease up whatever I can to see if it helps.

Happens when weight is transferred to the back or there's flex in the body like going up a driveway at an angle. Oh and over speedbumps too.
It's hard to tell because I did my whole rear end at the same time. I was going to get a roll of cut your own gasket from advance. Thinner the better and slip a little ring up against the body to see if it helps. Or maybe some window urethane, just a couple of dabs. I'll start with the roll of make your own gasket and report back my findings. Unless someone else has ideas.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
It's hard to tell because I did my whole rear end at the same time. I was going to get a roll of cut your own gasket from advance. Thinner the better and slip a little ring up against the body to see if it helps. Or maybe some window urethane, just a couple of dabs. I'll start with the roll of make your own gasket and report back my findings. Unless someone else has ideas.
I've got some of that cork/rubber gasket as well and may try it too but I'm not sure it's coming from the contact to the body (which is where I was thinking of putting the gasket) ... I'll be under the car later in the week and will try to pull down on the body to see if I can replicate and identify ... may need to grease everywhere??

OP
OP

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT

I believe I have another thread as well with videos but we rain ALL last week too and it's been getting warmer as well . The last few days of dry weather the creaking is back.

Now since I updated last (willupdate my other thread too),Kelly @BMR took care of me by shipping me my vertical links back with the Spherical on the bottom only. I insisted multiple times that I would like spherical top and bottom and was willing to pay whatever the cost would be for the bearings I just wanted the Delrin gone. Nevertheless he took care of the shipping and replaced the powers free so I am grateful.
At the same time I saw body contact with my first gen steeda adjustable camber arms. I suspected the inner mounting point on these was the source of the squeak. Steeda offered to let me pay the difference for the revised versions and thank you Steeda for that as well. I can see by the design change and angle of the arms there is clearly more clearance AND a proper angle for the mounting point on the inner side of the camber arms.

So, I used the prothane (or was it energy suspension ? Hmm - the stickiest stuff I've ever used. I caked that stuff everywhere. I bought a big can so I have likely a lifetime supply and was generous. The last 2 weeks it seemed the creaking was gone. It seemed to slightly come back over the last few dry warner days and yesterday/today the SQUEAK IS BACK !! I made a few videos and I will post them shortly. It's nasty and at low speeds and is a tight creaking sort of sound.

Today I just finished pulling off the steeda adjustable toe arms and cleaned and lived the he'll out of the spherical end. I also compressed the suspension to the lower ride height before tightening the outer end hopping that the the bushing wouldn't be binding when at ride height.

I also removed , used blue loc-tite and reinstalled both axle nuts and torqued to 110 lbs and 1/4 turn. If I had to guess the torque is well over 200 lbs-ft now.

So.. I went for a drive just now and the squeaking ... still there :frusty::frusty::tsk::shrug:

Now on to the LAST thing I can think of and that's the cb005 kit. As Mustang Lou suggested I too have been wondering about wether or not this is where the creaking is coming from. I am going to try hard tomorrow , to undo each side and grease and lube all the bushing points and where the spacers go into the. Cradle bushings . I have my hopes up that this is possibly the cause of all this .
These videos were taken today before I did the work today : (will upload them now)

Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
OP
OP

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
@5ABI VT

Here is a post I made in response to @Mustang_Lou - it may be worth checking out the cradle to upper lock out ring clearance that I mention and show a pic of in the link below.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1834661&postcount=588
Thanks for that !!!:headbang: I will definitely be on the lookout for that when I can get in there hopefully right after work tomorrow evening. Mind me asking what kind of noises were the result of that ?

I am hoping I can get this figured out for my own and everyone's benefit. I love threads that have solutions and happy endings !!

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Squeak. Creak. Groan. Moan. And even some clickity clackity clankity clunkity.

OP
OP

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Squeak. Creak. Groan. Moan. And even some clickity clackity clankity clunkity.
Have my fingers crossed I'll find something. Will report asap (just remembered kids have pizza /movie night at school tomorrow so hoping I can quickly check this after work). Thanks again !!

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt